Biographical record: this volume contains biographical sketches of leading citizens of Macoupin county, Illinois, Author/Publisher: Richmond & Arnold, Publishers, Chicago, 1904.Page 516
JOHN EDWARD WALTON, M. D.
John Edward Walton, M. D., a prominent practicing physician at Medora, Macoupin County, was born December 22, 1867, at Brighton, Macoupin County, Illinois, and is a son of Edward W and Hester C. (Eberman) Walton.
Edward W. Walton was born in Monroe County, Illinois, and is now a prominent retired farmer residing at Miles Station, Illinois. On August 7, 1861, at the outbreak of the Civil War, Edward W. Walton enlisted in Company A, 130th Reg., Illinois Vol. Inf., and during his long term of service, which terminated August 7, 1865, he was never either captured or wounded, although he participated in 15 engagements and on many other occasions was in great danger. He took part in the siege of V'icksburg, Spanish Fort, Sabine Cross Roads and Cane River and was with the Red River expedition. During two years and six months he served as special hospital steward and during this time was associated with Dr. C. B. Johnson, of Champaign, Illinois, who was recently elected president of the State Board of Health. The mother of Dr. Walton was also born in Monroe County and she became the mother of seven children, our subject being the second son.
Dr. Walton obtained his education in the common and high schools at Brighton and then entered what was formerly the Marion Sims Medical College of St. Louis, Missouri, but is now the medical department of the University of St. Louis, where he was graduated April 10, 1897, after an attendance of three years. He immediately located at Medora, his capital at that time being composed of a horse and buggy, $50 in cash, an educated mind and trained hand and faculties. The success that has attended him is the best testimonial to his worth.
In 1892 Dr. Walton was married to Mollie B. Simpson, of an old pioneer family, who is a daughter of F. B. and Marietta B. (Parker) Simpson, and one son, Franklin Edward, was born to this marriage, on August 15, 1902. F. B. Simpson, father of Mrs. Walton, was bom January 5, 1827, in Rappahannock County, Virginia, and was a son of Hendley and Elizabeth (Farrow) Simpson, the former of whom was also a native of Virginia, although of Scotch ancestry. In 1834 Hendley Simpson came to Illinois, F. B. being then nine years of age. The family settled on a tract of 217 acres of improved land in Chesterfield township, Macoupin County, which farm came into the possession of F. B. Simpson, who rented it in 1899, and resided with Dr. Walton at Medora until his death, January 25, 1904.
F. B. Simpson was educated in the public schools of Virginia and of Chesterfield township and devoted his life to farming. On January 5, 1837, he married Marietta B. Parker, a daughter of Joel and Miriam (Haycraft) Parker, the former of whom was born in Virginia and the latter in Kentucky, to which State the Parkers removed at a later date. In 1834 Joel Parker and wife came to Illinois and took up government land in Shipman township, Macoupin County. This farm Benjamin E. Parker recently sold and retired to Medora. The eight suriving children of F. B. Simpson are: Ann C, wife of Andrew Steed ; Harriet C, wife of William J. Bell ; Cornelia, wife of John Robbins ; S. F., who married Nancy Eggelston ; S. Elmer, who married Martha V. Andrews ; Julia ; E. L., who married Emma Keele ; and Mollie B., wife of Dr. Walton. Both Mrs. Walton and her mother belong to the Baptist Church, but Dr. Walton was reared a Methodist. He is a Mason. The whole family is more or less identified with temperance work, and Dr. Walton casts his vote with the Prohibition party."