If anyone has any information on any of these Ripley Co. IN STEELES, I would love to hear from you.
I am trying to identify James STEELE (b. 1771 - 1775 - d. bet. 1830 - 1840)?) according to the 1820 Ripley Co IN census and the 1830 Ripley Co IN census where I believe he is the older man living with Pelina STEELE and her husband, Conrad OVERTURF.) James STEELE bought land in Ripley Co, IN in 1817.He is listed alone in the 1820 census.
I have seen it reported in Ancestry.com that: James STEELE (b.@1763 Rockbridge VA - D.1825 in Charleston, Bradley Co, TN) married Nancy Thompson Hall in Rockbridge, VA, on 15 Mar 1798. She was reported as the daughter of Andrew Hall (b. @1731 Augusta Co VA) and Margaret Thompson (b. @1735 Rockbridge VA)
However, the dates and death location for James do not match what the 1820 & 1830 Ripley Co censuses indicate, si I am not sure of who his wife is.
There were early STEELE marriages in Ripley Co, IN. I think these may be his children.
The marriages were: 1. Pelina STEELE (b.11 Dec 1799 - d.1842) (aka: Perlina?) married Conrad OVERTURF 24 DEC 1818 Ripley Co. IN I have the Names of their children if anyone is interested.
2. Margaret Thompson STEELE (b.2 Nov 1802 - d.1 Sep 1866) (aka: Peggy T.) married Carmy GOODRICH 18 May 1820 Ripley Co. IN (Is this child's name the same as Nancy Thompson Halls mother by accident, or was Nancy really her mother?) I have the Names of their children if anyone is interested.
3. Polly STEELE (b.@1806 - d.?) (aka: Mary?) married George OSBOURN 3 Jul 1821 Ripley Co, IN No other information is known about her.
4. Sarah Campbell STEELE (b.12 Jan 1801 VA. - d.31 Aug 1871) (aka: Sally/ Sallie) married Luman ANDREWS3 Nov 1822 Ripley Co, IN (direct line - G.G.G.grandparents) (Her first-born son was named Samuel James Steele ANDREWS (b1823), after her father, maybe?). (Samuel J.S. ANDREWS is also my direct line - g.g.grandfather.)
Their other children were: Matilda ANDREWS(b1825), Austin ANDREWS (b1826), William Cornell ANDREWS (b1828), Harriet Hunter ANDREWS (b1830), Olive Craig ANDREWS (b.1832), Agnes ANDREWS (b.1834), Mortimer ANDREWS (b.1836), Charles Campbell ANDREWS (b.1840), Sarah Jane ANDREWS (b.1843), Luman H. ANDREWS (b.1848), and Willis ANDREWS (b.1853).)
5. Lucena STEELE (b.@1808 - d.?) married Lewis NEEDHAM 1 Feb 1829 Ripley Co. IN No other information is known about her.
6. Hiram Steele (b.15 Oct 1804 - d?) married Maria STEPHENSON 6 Jan 1831 Ripley Co IN No other information is known about him.