Of all the Tarts who arrived in North Carolina in the 1700s, there is perhaps more information on Jonathan Tartt than on the others. Unfortunately, none of it tells us with certainty who he was and where he came from. However, there are many tantalizing clues.
The first mention we have found of Jonathan Tartt in North Carolina records is a 1733 Bertie deed. On February 11, 1733, James Barnes and his wife Martha of the Bertie Precinct sold to Jonathan Tartt of Bertie Precinct 200 acres in Bertie County for 35 pounds current money of Virginia. The deed describes the land as being the part of the Barnes plantation that lay on the north side of the Maratock River within the meadow beginning at Gum Swamp, and adjacent George Stevens, William Hilliard, Jack Braswell, Hogpen Meadow, John Cotten, Joseph Wimberly, and George Snow. Witnesses were William Ruffin, A. Campbell, and James Moore.
This deed furnishes us with much information about Jonathan. First, throughout his lifetime and that of his descendants, he spelled his name with the extra "t" at the end. Second, it tells us he was already in North Carolina and specifically in Bertie precinct prior to 1733. Third, it tells us where he bought land: the Maratock/Moratuck River was named after the Moratuc Indian tribe on the Roanoke River. The Roanoke River was also called Morattico and flows through Bertie. Bertie was formed from Chowan in 1722. One strange landmark in the deed was the mention of Hogpen Meadow, for that is also mentioned in Joseph Tart deeds (see previous section on Joseph Tart). There is no Hogpen Meadow mentioned in The North Carolina Gazetteer, so we do not know its location. It is unlikely though that they are the same place. Fourth, it tells us who his neighbors were-three of whom-John Cotten, William Ruffin, and James Moore-are important to note, for their paths would cross again with Tarts.
Our next mention of Jonathan Tartt is his serving as a witness in 1739-along with Robert Wilkins and Samuel Ruffin-to a deed from Samuel Williams Senior to James Tartt, planter, of the Province of North Carolina. Tartt paid 50 pounds current money of Virginia for 199 acres in Bertie. Williams had got the land in 1738 from Osborn Jeffries, who had also sold an adjacent tract to William Hilliard that same year. Hilliard was a neighbor of Jonathan Tartt by virtue of Jonathan's purchase of the tract form James Barnes of a tract adjacent to Hilliard. Thus, James Tartt's purchase made him a neighbor of Jonathan. Very likely they were brothers.
The deed further tells us that James was already a planter in North Carolina by 1739. Yet there is no record of him or Jonathan buying land in Bertie prior to the deeds we have just mentioned. Had their father bought land in North Carolina? If so, the deed is not recorded in Bertie or Chowan or land grant and Lord Proprietor records. Finally, their being in the area with William Ruffin and Samuel Ruffin witnessing the James Tartt deed is interesting. The Ruffins had moved to what was eventually Edgecombe County (carved from Bertie in 1741) from Surry County, Virginia. Were the Tartt men and Ruffins neighbors in Surry County, also known as Isle of Wight County? At any rate, we will discuss James Tartt further in the section on James Tartt in this chapter.
The third record we have of Jonathan Tartt is a January 24, 1742 deed from Abraham Shepherd of Bertie County to Jonathan of Northampton County for 335 acres in Bertie. Jonathan paid 60 pounds for Shepherd's plantation adjoining Roquiss Swamp. Witnesses were J. Dawson and James Lockhart. This deed, bringing Jonathan's Bertie holdings to at least 535 acres tells us that he was living in Northampton County. Northampton was formed out of Bertie in 1741. The 1733 land Jonathan had bought in Bertie was probably part of the area carved off into Northampton in 1741, making him a resident of Northampton. Roquiss Swamp has many spellings, the most common being Roquist. It is in southwest Bertie.
Later that year, on November 23, 1742, Jonathan Tartt of Northampton sold to Thomas Wells of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, "the plantation where I now dwell," adjoining Green Swamp, George Stevens, William Hilliard, Richard Brasswell, Hogpen Meadow, William Ruffin, and Joseph Wimberly. The deed, witnessed by Robert Ruffin and Ethelred Ruffin, was proved in the November term of court. The plantation was the land Jonathan had bought nine years earlier in 1733. The mention of Green Swamp does not help us as the only Green Swamps mentioned in the Gazetteer are in Brunswick, Columbus, and Pender.
It is interesting that Jonathan was selling his plantation to a person from Isle of Wight (Surry) and that his witnesses were formerly of that same county. Robert Ruffin was the son of Robert Ruffin, sheriff of Surry County. Ethelred Ruffin was the son and grandson of these two men. He settled in Edgecombe County and married Mary Haywood. Their son, Henry John Gray Ruffin, born in 1782, married Mary Tartt, born in 1791, a granddaughter of Jonathan Tartt. Again we wonder about the connection. Did these families merely become neighbors after moving to North Carolina or had they been neighbors in Isle of Wight?
Another question we must ask about this deed is why was Jonathan selling his land in 1742? He still had the other 335 acres he had bought in Bertie, but why was he selling the actual plantation he lived on? Was he going to move and build elsewhere? Still another question is what happened to the 335 acres in Bertie. There is no record of it being sold.
A deed two years later gives us the clue. On March 23, 1744, John Gatlin Junior of Craven sold to Jonathan Tartt of Craven for 70 pounds 500 acres total, being two tracts on the north side of the Neuse, one being for 200 acres on the Neuse on a high bluff on the east side of the Little River and adjacent a pocosin and the other being for 300 acres below the mouth of Little River. These tracts are in the general area where U.S. 13 crosses the Neuse. The Little River rises in southwest Franklin and runs through northeast Johnston into central Wayne County, where it splits into two branches, both flowing into the Neuse River, southwest of Goldsboro.
Seven years later, on May 25, 1751, Jonathan was issued a patent from the Secretary of State's office for 100 acres in Johnston on the south side of the Neuse River and Falling Creek. Nothing was in the shuck, so we were not able to see the surveyor's plat. Land patents were granted by the Governor and Council under the authority of the British Crown from the opening of the land office in 1735 until its closure in 1775 (see previous discussion earlier in this section).
There is no Falling Creek in current Johnston County. There is a Falling Creek in Wayne. Dobbs was formed out of the eastern portion of Johnston in 1758 and Wayne was formed from Dobbs in 1779. Thus the Falling Creek Jonathan was buying land on was in present day Wayne, not Johnston. The N.C. Gazetteer says that Falling Creek rises in northeast Sampson and flows northeast into western Wayne where it empties into Beaverdam Creek. Actually DOT Sampson maps show the creek now as Beaverdam Creek, but in Jonathan Tartt's day, it was known as Falling Creek; the Gazetteer states that it was shown as such in the 1808 Price map and in Dr. Elisha Mitchell's 1827 journal. In southwest Wayne, it flows northeast and north into the Neuse, which is where Jonathan had his land and is today known in Wayne as Thoroughfare Swamp.
Then the next year, in 1752, also on May 25, Jonathan Tartt was issued a patent for another 100 acres, also on the south side of the Neuse and Falling Creek and adjacent George Pettis, Little Marsh, and Pettis Marsh. Surveyed December 6, 1751 by Phillip Stone, the chain bearers were Andrew Bass and John Pettis. Chain bearers are important to note, as they are often relatives and sometimes neighbors. This grant brought Jonathan's Johnston County land holdings to 700 acres, for the 500 acres Jonathan bought in Craven in 1744 would have become part of Johnston in 1746, when Johnston was formed from Craven. In 1752, Orange was carved out of Johnston, Bladen, and Granville. In 1758, Dobbs was formed from Johnston.
Jonathan received another patent on May 25, 1757 for 100 acres on the south side of the Neuse and Falling Creek, again adjacent to Pettis, Little Marsh, and Pettis Marsh.
Our next mention of Jonathan is very scanty in that it is a Dobbs County record. As we said, Dobbs was formed in 1758 from Johnston and was abolished in 1791. Unfortunately, Dobbs' deed books burned in the courthouse fire at Kinston in February 1880. Only the grantee index was saved. Using this, genealogists have been able to at least reconstruct a few details. Deed books #1-5 were for Johnston County deeds from April, 1746-April, 1759. Jonathan Tartt is entered in the index as buying land from his neighbor George Pettis, with the deed entered in Book #4, meaning that he bought it between April 1755 and April 1758. Acreage is of course unknown as the deed was burned.
Deed books #6-14 were for land bought in Dobbs between April, 1759 and February 1792. Jonathan Tartt is entered in the index as buying land from David Miles and the deed was recorded in deed book # 8, telling us that he bought it between April, 1769 and April, 1771. Again, acreage is unknown.
More detail is available in an April 22, 1763 land grant for 100 acres in Dobbs to Richard Bass, in which Jonathan is mentioned as a neighbor. Bass' land was described as being on the east side of Falling Creek below the Long Marsh and adjacent Jonathan Tartt and the widow Conington.
In the 1760s, Jonathan Tartt took out four grants for land in Dobbs. Its county seat was first Walnut Creek (Wayne County) and later (1779) Kinston. Wayne was formed from Dobbs in 1779.
On April 6, 1765 Jonathan received a grant for 100 acres in Dobbs on the Little River adjacent a man noted only as Pollock and the mouth and upper side of Little River. Chain bearers were William Howell and Charles Hopton.
Later that year, on October 30, 1765, he received another 100 acres in Dobbs, also on the upper side of Little River and adjacent Pollock and the mouth and side of the river. Nothing was in the shuck, so we do not know the chain bearers.
Also on that same date, Jonathan was issued another 100 acres, again on the upper side of the Little River and adjacent Pollock. Again the shuck was empty, depriving us of chainbearers' names.
Two years later, Jonathan was issued a land grant for 25 acres on the north side of the Neuse and below the mouth of Little River and adjacent his own land.
The land was surveyed April 16, 1767 and chain bearers were John Herring and Jonathan Tartt Junior. This is an extremely important piece of information. For we know that Jonathan Tartt who wrote his will in Edgecombe in 1789 had a son Jonathan who predeceased him in 1784, leaving two minor children. However, our major question is: was the Jonathan Tartt of the 1789 will the same Jonathan Tartt buying land in Bertie as early as 1733 and still buying land 34 years later in 1767? It was not the norm for men to buy land over such a long period of time; usually they bought land over the first 20 years of their marriage or young adulthood. And as we will see, Jonathan was not though buying land. Or was the Jonathan buying land in Bertie in 1733 and selling it in 1742 the father of the Jonathan buying all this land in Dobbs in the 1750s and 1760s and the grandfather of the Jonathan Junior, chainbearer in 1767?
The 1767 grant brought Jonathan Tartt's holdings in Dobbs to 1025 acres. Counting the deeds in the Dobbs deed index to grantees, for which we do not have acreage, it would be appropriate to surmise that Jonathan had closer to 1200 or more acres.
We receive more clues to Jonathan's neighbors from their land grants. We have already mentioned Richard Bass' 1763 land grant. In 1767, David Jernigan received 600 acres on the Neuse and Little River adjacent the pocosin, the mouth of the Little River, the sides of both rivers, and Jonathan Tartt. Also in 1767, Phillip Stone, the District Surveyor, became Jonathan's neighbor with a 106-acre grant on the north side of the Neuse and adjacent Thomas Boit (Boyette?) and Charles Hopton. Hopton had been a chain bearer for Jonathan's 1767 grant and Jonathan's cousin John West is listed in the Dobbs grantee index as having bought land from Hopton in 1748. The land for Bass, Jernigan, and Stone would have been in present day Wayne. In 1779, Jernigan bought another 40 acres in Dobbs on the south side of the Neuse, adjoining Hopton, Jonathan Tart, and his own land; this land was also in present day Wayne. Also in 1779, Hopton bought 40 more acres in Dobbs on the north side of the Neuse, adjoining his own land, Jernigan, and Jonathan Tartt.
From the deeds of his own and his neighbors' land, we can determine that Jonathan Tart owned land in present day Wayne on both the north and south sides of the Neuse, having at least 300 acres where Falling Creek and the Neuse meet and at least 325 acres on the north side of the Neuse and the upper side of the mouth of the Little River. One land grant describes his land as being between the sides of the two rivers and the rivers come close and join only in Wayne County. Wayne was formed in 1779 from Dobbs and in fact, the commissioners appointed to run the dividing line included Ethelred Ruffin, who witnessed Jonathan's 1742 Northampton sale of land and whose son would marry Jonathan's granddaughter.
By 1769, Jonathan not only had land, but also slaves. A 1769 Dobbs tax list shows Jonathan listed as a free white male with eight slaves for a total of nine polls. This provides the significant information that in 1769, Jonathan had no sons over 16. Thus, the Jonathan Tartt Junior who was his chainbearer two years earlier in 1767 was still not 16 in 1769, thus helping us to establish his birth date as being no earlier than 1754. This is extremely important information in answering our question as to whether the Jonathan Tartt of the 1789 will was the same Jonathan Tartt buying land in the 1750s-1760s or whether he was the Jonathan Tartt Junior, chainbearer in 1767. If the earliest Jonathan Junior could have been born was 1754, he could have been age 35 at the oldest in 1789, too young to have the grown married sons with children mentioned in the will. Thus, the Jonathan Tartt who died in 1789 was the Jonathan buying land in the mid 1700s.Our remaining mystery is whether he was also the Jonathan who bought land in Bertie in 1733 and sold it in 1742.
Returning to the 1769 tax list, it is further valuable because it gives the names of his slaves: Rorah, Sam, Jack, Lin, Little Sam, Jin, Pen, and Venus. We will see later how that further helps us.
Continuing with the chronological record of Jonathan Tartt, the next mention of him in the records is five years later in a 1774 Edgecombe County deed. He was still living in Dobbs County, for on August 17, Jonathan Tartt of Dobbs County for 1050 pounds "good and careful money of the colony of Virginia" bought from Andrew Meade of Nansemond County, Virginia a tract in Edgecombe totaling 10,000 acres. This tract was granted by "John Lord Cartaret and the rest of the Lord Proprietors by their patent of ...April 9, 1732 and by Sir Richard Everard their Governor, which land was in Bath County, situated northerly on the Nuse (sic) River, Contechney (Contentnea) Creek, woods on both sides of the main swamp of the Creek, Loosing Swamp, Cotechney (Contentnea) Swamp, and Poplar Branch." The 1732 grant had been given to Lewis Conner and Conner had left it in his will to his sons Roderick and Demsey. Demsey had died intestate without issue and his land went to Roderick Conner, who sold it September 24, 1753 to David Meade of Nansemond County, a merchant, who in his will left it to Andrew Meade. The deed to Jonathan Tartt was witnessed by Lemuel Reddick, John Shepherd, and Edward Hare.
We could not find the original Lord Proprietors grant of 1732 to Lewis Conner. Conner had land on the north side of the Neuse. In 1730, Conner bought another 10,000-acre grant in Bath County.
It is helpful to see where the major landmarks in the grant are. Cotechney Creek was named for the Tuscarora Indian village by that name in present day Greene County. The Creek itself rises in present western Wilson County, which was formed in 1858 from Johnston, Nash, Edgecombe, and Wayne, and flows southeast in to present day Greene County and eventually into the Neuse. There are two Lossing Swamps-one in north central Bertie that flows northeast and the other in north central Lenoir County that flows east. We think the one referred to in the deed would have been the Lenoir Swamp. There are ten Poplar Branches in the state, including one in east central Wilson flowing south, and another in southwestern Wilson flowing northeast. We think the first is the one mentioned in the deed. Edgecombe in 1774 included what is now the northern and central part of Wilson. Although the deed does not so state, some of the land along Loosing Swamp would have been in Dobbs (now Greene and Lenoir).
Was 10,000 acres for 1050 pounds a reasonable price at that time? It probably was-that would approximate the rate of 10 pounds for 100 acres. But a more important question is: how did Jonathan Tartt come to be that wealthy? That was an enormous amount of money for that period of time. Very few people could buy 10,000 acres at one whack! The clue may be in Jonathan's will 15 years later.
Beginning in 1774, we see Jonathan unloading some of his Dobbs County land. In the Dobbs Grantee index, we find where he sold land to Joshua Davis as recorded in Deed Book #10 (1773-1775) and to George Miller and John Edwards, as recorded in Deed Book #11 (1777). Because the deed books burned, we do not know which tracts he sold to Davis and Edwards. However, in the case of Miller, we were luckier. In Wayne Deed Book #1, we found a 1783 deed from Robert Bignall of Edgecombe to Andrew Bass of Wayne for four tracts of land which all formerly belonged to Jonathan Tartt and which Tartt sold to George Miller six years earlier in March, 1777. Miller sold them four months later in July of that year to Bignall. The tracts were as follows:
1. "200 acres on a high bluff on the north side of the Neuse sold by John Gatlin to Jonathan Tartt on March 23, 1744"
2. "200 acres on the north side of the Neuse and beginning below the mouth of the Little River and adjacent Gatlin, sold by Gatlin to Tartt on March 23, 1744,"
3. " 100 acres on the upper side of Little River, a grant to Tartt in 1765," and
4. "25 acres on the upper side of Little River, a grant to Tartt in 1767."
Thus, Jonathan was selling 125 acres of the land he got in Dobbs in 1765 and 1767 as well as 400 of the 500 acres he bought from Gatlin in 1744 when the land was considered part of Craven.
Between these three deeds, Jonathan may have sold all his 1025+ acres in Dobbs, for there are no other Dobbs deeds listed in the grantee index nor in the Wayne, Wilson, Green, or Lenoir (counties carved from what was once Dobbs) grantor indices. However, he may have also left some of it to his children, for as late as 1781-1785, deeds for other people buying or selling land have references to their land as being "adjacent to Tartt."
Jonathan did not seem to be content with the 10,000 acres in Edgecombe and the 335 acres in Bertie or Northampton. On January 23, 1778, he bought from William Hatcher of Edgecombe for 100 pounds proclamation money and 50 pounds Virginia money 200 acres in Edgecombe on the Toisnot Swamp, Mill Branch, and Conner patent line. Witnesses were George Ezell and William Daniel. Jonathan was obviously buying a plantation adjoining his own 10,000 acres. Toisnot Swamp rises in southern Nash (formed out of western Edgecombe in 1777) and flows southeast into Wilson County until it enters Contentnea Creek in southern Wilson. Until about the 1850s, it was spelled Tosneot. In the above deed, it was spelled Tosnoit. Not surprisingly, there are 24 Mill branches in North Carolina. There are three in Wilson County. The one in the deed is probably the Mill Branch rising in northwest Wilson and flowing south into Contentnea Creek.
From 1778 on, Jonathan is referred to as being of Edgecombe County. Since Edgecombe had existed since 1741, when it and Northampton were formed out of Bertie, it is clear that he moved from Dobbs to Edgecombe when he bought the 10,000-acre tract. Whether he actually lived in what is present day Wilson, we are not sure. Wilson was formed out of Edgecombe, Nash, Wayne, and Nash in 1855.
Two years later, on July 28, 1780, Jonathan made the first of several gifts to his children. He had three sons and three daughters we know of: Elnathan, who we think is the oldest, for he was the first son to receive land, Jonathan Junior, James, Elizabeth, Martha, and Sarah. We do not know the birth dates for any except Sarah, called Sally, who was born in 1777, according to her gravestone. We know that Jonathan Junior would have been born by 1754 at the earliest, and that Elnathan, if he was the oldest son, could have been born earlier. Jonathan probably had more than six children, with some not surviving childhood. For example, one would expect him to have a daughter Catherine, named after his wife at the time of his will. However, it is possible that Catherine was his second wife and not the mother of all his children. Not one of Jonathan's children named a child Catherine. It is possible that Sarah, who was only 12 when her father died in 1789, was his child by Catherine.
In the 1780 deed of gift, Jonathan gave his daughter Elizabeth and her husband John Walton 200 acres on the south side of Toisnot Swamp, the tract bought from Hatcher two years earlier, "for their natural lives," meaning it went back to the Jonathan Tartt estate upon their decease. Witnesses were William and Lemuel Daniel.
Jonathan Tartt evidently did not have a chance to give land to his son Jonathan Junior. Based on Edgecombe County court minutes, we know that Jonathan Junior was dead by November 2, 1784, when his brother Elnathan was granted administration of his estate.
This probably confirms that Elnathan was either the eldest son or second oldest after the deceased Jonathan Junior. It is important to know who was the oldest son in that Jonathan Senior may have named his first son after his father and thus we would know his father's name. The court minutes for that date also state "an inventory of the estate returned," sounding as if the inventory was already done, which would be strange with Elnathan just becoming administrator. On February 8, 1785, a sale of the perishable estate of Jonathan Tartt Junior was ordered. The account of the sale was returned May 6, 1785. On May 2, 1785, the court ordered that Elnathan appear at court in Tarboro on the first Monday in August to answer a claim by Abraham Barnes on a November 13, 1782 deed to Jonathan Junior for nine slaves, valued at 100 pounds each. This tells us that Jonathan was married and settled in his own household and with his own plantation by late 1782 and probably earlier, as he had two children by his death in 1784. On Wednesday, November 8, 1786, Elnathan was appointed guardian of the orphans of Jonathan Junior-Enos and Sarah Tartt.
There is little else we know about Jonathan Junior other than that he fought in the Revolutionary War. We do not know the name of his wife and if she predeceased him or died shortly before November 8, 1786. Sometimes children were referred to as orphans and appointed guardians when the mother was still living; this custom reflected the attitude of the time toward women having the capability to handle financial affairs and family matters. We do note that there is no entry in the Edgecombe Court minutes about commissioners being appointed to lay off a dower for Jonathan Junior's widow, indicating that she may have predeceased him; if that is so, it is not clear why Elnathan waited almost two years to apply for the guardianship of the orphans.
In the middle of all this, on February 7, 1785, Elnathan's father Jonathan made a deed of gift to him for 2600 acres on the north side of Toisnot Swamp, Poplar Branch, and the patent line. Witnesses were Lemuel Daniel, James Tart (Elnathan's brother), and William Blackburn.
Eight days later, Jonathan leased to Willis Barfield at the rate of four pounds per year for 14 years 360 acres on the north side of Toisnot Swamp "where he now lives." Perhaps Barfield had been working for Jonathan and now Jonathan was going to allow him to farm for himself. The last record of Jonathan taking action in deed records was verifying on January 24, 1787 that he had received four pounds from Barfield for one year's lease.
There is one more mention of Jonathan in the deed books and that is on November 7, 1786, when Elias Fort, Sheriff, sold to Elnathan Tartt a tract of 200 acres on the south side of Ausbry's Branch and Hogpen Branch and adjacent George Dickens, deceased. This tract was owned by Charles Lee and/or Jethro and Absalom Barnes, who owed Jonathan Tartt for three different loans of 26, 9, and 7 pounds, from which they all three had defaulted. Jonathan won a judgment in the May, 1786 Edgecombe Court to recover the debts; to satisfy, the debts, the land was sold at public auction by the sheriff. Sheriff Fort had been a neighbor of the Jarrells (Geralds/Garrolds/Jarrolds) in Johnston in the 1760s. Jonathan had married Catherine Jarrell, whom he must have met when he started buying land in the 1750s.
The next record of Jonathan Tartt is his will. Dated February 3, 1789, it was probated May 5, of that year by John Brasher. Thus, Jonathan had died in the ensuing three months.
To his wife Catherine, he left "my plantation where I now live and all my lands on the south side of Toisnot Swamp to have her share during her lifetime;" two Negro boys, Frank and Anthony; Negro man Lin for 10 years and "afterwards Lin shall be a free man and shall have his cornfield, orchard, and house now known by the name of his as his property;" along with his son James and daughter Martha Eason, stock of every kind and furniture to be equally divided; along with his two sons and daughter Martha Eason, "all money due to me to be collected and divided equally and my loan office ticket money and two Negroes Buster and Sharp;"
To his son Elnathan, to whom he had already given 2600 acres, he left one Negro man Simon and one girl Tamer; the plantation "where Jonathan Brasher now lives" and two Negro men Gideon and Jo for six years; Negroes Jack, Venus, John, and Sal for 10 years and then to be divided equally between Elnathan, James, and two grandchildren Enos and Sarah (children of Jonathan Junior, deceased); brandy still, to be shred with James and grandson Enos;
To his son James the plantation where Jonathan then lived after his mother Catherine died; 60 pounds; Negro boys Abram and Briant; his 1/3 share of the stock and furniture-his mother and sister Martha Eason having the other two shares; his 1/4 share in 10 years of the Negroes mentioned above as being shared with Elnathan and Enos and Sarah; his 1/3 share of the brandy still; his 1/4 share of the money to be collected and of the loan office ticket money;
To his daughter Elizabeth Walton, in addition to the deed of gift of 200 acres, one Negro woman Pen "and her increase;"
To his daughter Martha Eason "that part of my land where Miles Barfield lives on the east side of Toisnot Swamp and White Oak Swamp, 350 acres; one Negro woman Cloe and her child Charity; her 1/4 share of the money to be collected and the loan office ticket money; and her 1/3 share of the stock and furniture;
To his grandson Enos (orphan of Jonathan Junior), the "plantation where John Brasher now lives and adjacent land containing 4470 acres" and one Negro man Gideon; in 10 years his 1/4 share of the Negroes left in the immediate care of Elnathan; his 1/3 share of the brandy still;
To his granddaughter Sarah (orphan of Jonathan Junior), one Negro Jock in 10 years 1/4 share of the Negro slaves initially left with Elnathan;
To two cousins, John West and Fereby Fail 70 pounds each of current money of North Carolina.
Executors were sons Elnathan and James Tartt. Witnesses were John Bradsher, James Jones, and Martha Bentley.
From this will we learn much. We learn his wife's name-Catherine. (From her 1812 will, we learn her maiden name: Jarrell. As that was a fairly common name found in Dobbs County, we think that Jonathan met her when he lived in Dobbs (present day Wayne).
Second, certain slaves-Lin, Jack, and Venus-mentioned in the will are the same as those listed on the 1769 Dobbs Tax List, confirming that that Jonathan Tartt of Dobbs is the same as the Jonathan of Edgecombe.
Third, Jonathan Tartt had at least 20 slaves mentioned in the will, signifying wealth in addition to his land.
Fourth, we get an idea of how Jonathan may have made the money to buy his land and slaves-he evidently operated a loan office and would have collected money with interest.
Fifth, even though he deeded 2600 acres of land to Elnathan four years earlier in 1785, he left him another plantation for six years. As he left his other surviving son James only two slave boys and 70 pounds, and the plantation where Jonathan was living with his wife Catherine James was to get only after Catherine had lived there for her lifetime, we can surmise that James was probably the youngest son. James was probably named after Jonathan's brother James who had been with him in Bertie and Northampton County.
Sixth, Jonathan's youngest daughter, Sarah, is strangely not mentioned at all.
Seventh, Martha Bent