Sen. Obama is a descendant of the same Teague family of which I am a member. The senator's 6th great grandmother, Isabel Teague Welborn (or Wilborn) was a daughter of Moses Teague (b. Md. ,1718; d. Chatham Co., N.C. c. 1799) and his first wife, Elizabeth Loftin. After Elizabeth's death, Moses married Rachael Taylor, who is mentioned in Moses' will (written in 1786; proved by Moses' son Jacob at the Aug. court in 1799).
The transcribed text of the will is available several places online, such as:
and the relevant passage reads as follows:
I give and bequeath to my children, Moses, Liga (Elijah?), Isabel Willborn?, Abraham Teague, Isaac Teague, Jacob Teague, William Teague, Elizabeth Johnston, Susannah Marley, Hannah Horniday, David Teague, and Charrint/Chaerint? Ray, the rest of my Estate after the afore mentioned legacy to my Wife, Rachael and my son David is taken out to be equally divided amongst them.
The senator's ancestry is as follows:
1. Edward Teague, of Tegg's Delight, Cecil Co., Md. (d. 1697), m. Susanna;
2. William Teague (b. Md. c 1693; d. N.C.), m. Isabella (said to be either Loftin or Pennington, but neither has been conclusively proven);
3. Moses Teague (b. 1718; d.c. 1799, Chatham Co., N.C.), m. 1st, Elizabeth Loftin (which gives both the senator and myself a relationship to former President Carter);
4. Isabel Teague, m. James Welborn/Wilborn;
5. Ruth Welborn/Wilborn, m. John Wilson;
6. Christine Wilson, m. Edward McCurry;
7. Harbin Wilburn McCurry, m. Elizabeth Edna Creekmore;
8. Thomas Creekmore McCurry, m. Margaret Belle Wright;
9. Leona McCurry, m. Rolla Charles Payne;
10. Madelyn Lee Payne, m. Stanley Armour Dunham;
11. S[tanley] Ann Dunham, m. Barack Hussein Obama;
12. Barack Hussein Obama, Jr., b. 4 Aug. 1961, U.S. Senator (D-Ill.) and Democratic Presidential candidate, 2008.