Re: General David Emanuel Twiggs
Gen.Twiggs named the fort in FL after his son in law
Abraham C. Myers (Fort Myers)
The city still carries his name... Fort Myers,FL
Ft. Myers was one of the first forts built along the Caloosahatchee River as a base of operations against the Seminole Indians. Ft. Denaud, Ft. Thompson, and Ft. Dulany (Punta Rassa) all pre-date Ft. Myers. When a hurricane destroyed Ft. Dulany in October 1841, the military was forced to look for a site less exposed to storms from the Gulf of Mexico. As a result of the search, Ft. Harvie was built on the grounds that now comprise Downtown Ft. Myers.
Renewed war against the Seminoles in 1850 caused a re-occupation and extensive reconstruction of Ft. Harvie. The post was then renamed Ft. Myers in honor of Colonel Abraham C. Myers, who was soon to wed the daughter of Major General David E. Twiggs, then commanding Ft. Brooke (Tampa). The expanded fort eventually became quite an impressive base. At it's peak, it featured a 1,000 foot wharf, and more than 50 buildings constructed of hardy yellow pine. The cleared ground around the fort fell roughly within the area bounded by the present day Hough, Monroe and Second streets.
Abandoned in 1858, Ft. Myers was re-occupied for a few weeks the following year. The War Between the States brought federal troops back in 1863 for a stay of 2 years, but at the wars end, Ft. Myers was abandoned by the military once and for all