I am re-searching the Sasser-Joiner connection in Barbour, Henry, Dale, Pike and other nearby Counties in Alabama/Georgia during the 1800's, as well as many other states including LA-NC-SC-MS-NC and other states as well.
A Curtis Joiner is buried close to many of my Sasser relatives in the Holmes Baptist Church Cemetery near Ariton in Barbour County, Alabama.The gravestone is marked with the following:Curtis Joiner 1815-1863 age 53 years.
In the 1880 Census-Place: Atkinsons, Barbour, Alabama,
the Household includes the following family group listed below.
J. G. SOPERSelfMMaleW37ALFarmerALAL
Louisiana SOPERWifeMFemaleW27ALKeeping HouseGA
Ella F. SOPERDauSFemaleW6ALALAL
John G. SOPERSonSMaleW4ALALAL
Junior Etta SOPERDauSFemaleW2ALALAL
Eula A. SOPERDauSFemaleW7MALALAL
Elizabeth JOINERMotherLWFemaleW65GANo OccupationGAGA
Note:Elizabeth Joiner is listed as Mother in Law living with the Sasser family at this time.
J. G. Sasser/Soper (sometimes spelled Saucer, etc.) is my paternal great grandfather.
Louisianna (nick name "Rilla or Reel") may have married a "Razz" or "Crump" Evans after the death of Joseph G. on July 4, 1889.
Known Children of Louisianna Joiner and Joseph G. Sasser are:
1. Ella Francis4 Sasser, born abt. 1874; died WFT Est. 1879-1964. She married Perry Quinn Powell January 11, 1891 in Barbour County, Alabama; born WFT Est. 1837-1877; died WFT Est. 1879-1958.
2. John G. Sasser, born abt. 1877. He married Lizzie "Liz" Warrick.Died: Unknown
3. Junior (Junie Etta) E. Sasser, born April 25, 1878; died February 16, 1961 in Barbour County, Alabama. She married Harmon S. Nance; born February 12, 1888; died July 09, 1962 in Barbour County, Alabama.She may have married Unknown Davis.
4. Eula A. Sasser, born October 24, 1879; died December 16, 1942. She married Charles E. Sutton; born Abt. 1878 in Barbour County, Alabama.
5. Joseph Oscar Sasser, born August 11, 1882; died November 10, 1954 in Barbour Co, AL. He married Ealie Baker; born January 26, 1892; died July 23, 1983 in Barbour Co, AL.
6. Lena Kate Sasser, born 1883; died 1954. She married Daniel A. Sutton April 09, 1902; born Abt. 1879; died 1968.
7. Harvy Sasser, born March 23, 1883; died October 08, 1921 in Barbour Co, AL. He married Ola Bell Kelly; born September 03, 1895; died April 19, 1942 in Barbour Co, AL.
8. Mary Elizabeth Sasser, born May 07, 1889; died January 14, 1962. She married (1) Alto Nance; born July 03, 1877; died October 24, 1965. She married (2) Harry Lloyd Strickland WFT Est. 1910-1943; born August 25, 1893 in Hortense, Wayne Co, GA; died WFT Est. 1910-1983.
9. Joseph Early Sasser, born November 25, 1890; died July 12, 1966 in Ozark, Dale County, Alabama. He married (1) Martha Francis Fralish in Georgia; born May 23, 1898; died January 27, 1941 in Pike Co., Alabama.
Although I have not yet found a definite connection to this Sasser family line; I "suspect" that my Joseph G. Sasser may be linked to the Richard Henderson-Mary Jane (Johnson) Sasser family, as many of the GA and AL Census records for one of his sons, Joseph (Johnson) Sasser, closely matches the ages of my Joseph G. Sasser during this same time period.
Joseph G. Sasser may have also married an Eliza (Unknown).
Joseph G. is also thought to have died in a saw mill explosion that also killed everyone who worked there at the time, possibly on or about July 4, 1889, in Barbour County, Alabama.If anyone reading this message has information about this saw mill explosion and/or where it happened...please reply.
If anyone has any information concerning "any" of the Surnames listed in this message, (especially any of the ancestors family members of Joseph G. Sasser and Curtis-Elizabeth Joiner ), I would greatly appreciate your taking the time to reply.
Take care out there,