My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Benjamin Darling
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Benjamin Darling (b. February 11, 1686/87, d. May 18, 1772)Benjamin Darling (son of Dennis Darling and Hannah Francis) was born February 11, 1686/87 in Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, and died May 18, 1772 in Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts.He married Mehitable White on June 11, 1709 in Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, daughter of Thomas White and Methible Thornton.
Notes for Benjamin Darling:
Benjamin Darling, "gentleman" of Mendon, the youngest child of Dennis and Hannah (Francis) Darling, was born in Mendon February 11, 1687.
He accumulated considerable property and was prominent in the locality. He lived on a farm of his own consisting of a large tract of land situated in what is now the town of Blackstone, Mass., on the North Road, about three miles east of Millville, Mass., and now known as the Blackstone Poor Farm.
Benjamin Darling married, in Mendon, June 11, 1708, Mehitable White, born in Mendon, January 22, 1689, daughter of Thomas and Mehitable (Thornton?) White of Mendon, granddaughter of the first Thomas White who settled in Weymouth, Mass., in 1637. Thomas White, the father of Mehitable was one of the early settlers and largest landowners of Milford, Mass.
Mehitable (White) Darling must have died sometime after 1730, and probably was buried in the Chestnut Hill cemetery where her husband was afterward buried.
She was the mother of eleven children.
Benjamin Darling married, second, in Mendon, April 17, 1760, Susanna (Benson-Thayer) White widow of Aaron White, formerly widow of ---Thayer, and daughter of Benoni Benson by his first wife. Benjamin Darling by this marriage had one child, a daughter .
Benjamin Darling made his will November 28, 1770, mentioning his wife Susanna, his sons, Benjamin, Joseph, Ebenezer, Peter, and Thomas; the heirs of his son Samuel deceased; and his daughters, Deborah Wheelock, Hannah Battles, Abigail Inman, Elizabeth Meadberry, and Anna Darling. His will was offered for probate May 22, 1772.
He died, May 18, 1772, in Mendon and was buried in the old cemetery at Chestnut Hill, in Blackstone.
The tombstone which marks his grave has been broken and re-set, and only shows date of his death.
There is a space for two graves, evidently of his two wives, between his grave and that of his son Thomas Darling.
The date of the death of his first wife, Mehitable, and the date of both birth and death of his second wife, Susanna, have not been obtained.
Susanna, second wife of Benjamin Darling, had previously married, December 25, 1739, Aaron White, born in Mendon, May 22, 1717, son of Joseph and Prudence (Smith) White.
Aaron and Susanna (Benson-Thayer) White had three children, Aaron White, Jr., Sylvia White, who married Seva Pond, and Prudence White, who married in Mendon, December 25, 1760, Stephen Darling, born in Mendon, August 21, 1738, son of Joseph and Mary (Fish) Darling, and grandson of Benjamin and Mehitable (White) Darling.
This Stephen and Prudence (White) Darling moved to Richmond, N. H., and were parents of several children, among whom were
Chloe Darling, born May 10, 1769, who married, November 30, 1786, Luke Scott, and
Lucy Darling, born August 5, 1773, who married Charles Carpenter; both those families were early settlers of Deerfield township, Tioga County, Penn.
This Stephen Darling's first wife Prudence died in Richmond, N. H., April 12, 1799, and he married there, second, December 25, 1799, Elizabeth Scott,
Following is a record of the children of Benjamin Darling and his two wives, as found in the Mendon Vital Records;
1 .Mehitable Darling, born November 10, 1709. She probably died unmarried as she is not mentioned in her father's will of 1770.
2. Deborah Darling, born April 22, 1711; married, March 20; 1732, Daniel Wheelock of Uxbridge, Mass.
3. Benjamin Darling, born March 15, 1714; married in Smithfield, RI, July 28, 1733, Elizabeth Force.
4. Joseph Darling, born April 14, 1716; married in Smithfield, RI., January 6, 1733, Mary Fish. He was executor of his father's will.
5. Ebenezer Darling, born August 25, 1718; married in Smithfield, R.I., February 25, 1745, Mary Rakes..
6. Peter Darling, born June 12, 1720; married first, April 20, 1749, in Mendon, Priscilla Cook; married second, June 12, 1762, in Mendon, Anne Cook.
7. Hannah Darling, born March 25, 1722, died February 7, 1799; married Jeremiah Batteles.
8. Abigail Darling, born March 15, 1724; married in Gloucester RI, January 16, 1745, Elisha Inman
9. Samuel Darling, born August 1, 1726, died before 1770; married in Mendon, April 1, 1746, Sarah White
10. Elizabeth Darling, born April 11, 1729; married in Mendon, December 8, 1748, Benjamin Meadberry of Smithfield RI.
11. Thomas Darling, born May 7, 1730; married, December 4, 1749,Rachel White
12. Anna Darling, child by second wife, born June 22, 1761; married in Mendon, September 6, 1779, Benjamin Carvell. She is mentioned in her father's will of 1770 and was a minor at that time.
More About Benjamin Darling:
Burial: 1772, Chestnut Hill Cemetery, Millville, Massachusetts.
More About Benjamin Darling and Mehitable White:
Marriage: June 11, 1709, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts.
Children of Benjamin Darling and Mehitable White are:
- Mehitable Darling, b. March 10, 1708/09, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. date unknown.
- Deborah Darling, b. April 22, 1711, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. date unknown.
- Benjamin Darling, b. March 15, 1713/14, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. date unknown.
- Joseph Darling, b. April 21, 1716, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. 1787, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts.
- Ebenezer Darling, b. August 25, 1718, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. November 25, 1806, Glocester, Rhode Island.
- Peter Darling, b. June 12, 1720, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. date unknown.
- Hannah Darling, b. March 25, 1722, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. August 03, 1809, Burrillville, Rhode Island.
- Abigail Darling, b. March 15, 1722/23, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. August 03, 1809, Burrillville, Rhode Island.
- Samuel Darling, b. August 01, 1726, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. 1770, Millville, Massachusetts.
- +Elizabeth Darling, b. April 11, 1729, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. March 23, 1770, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts.
- Thomas Darling, b. May 07, 1730, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts, d. October 02, 1776, Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts.