User Home Pages: Ancestors of Thomas William Baine, V
|Our BAINE ancestors came from Devon, England, then through to Kildare, Ireland, before settling near Cairo, Illinois, and our branch finally making their way down to Jacksonville, Florida.The WEISKOPF family came from Eich, Hesse, Germany in the 1850's to Boonerville, Indiana.They eventually settled in Carmi, Illinois.|
The WILSON family came from Statesboro, Georgia, where they had been since after the American Revolution.
Our TURNER family came originally from Rutherford County, North Carolina, but moved to Kansas City, Kansas, before making their way to Georgia.The MORROW family was from Forest City, Rutherford, North Carolina.
The DOWNING ancestors were of mixed Cherokee Indian and English descent. They were from Southern Georgia, and married into the HENDERSON clan of Pearson, Georgia.
Also included are other families we are descended from:
Adamson, Burke, Decker, Greenberry, Hay, Haas, Howard, Lee, Mattock, Polk, Skinner, Weiskopf, Wilson, and numerous others, as well as many European royal lines from the 1500's and back.
Bellingham, Bishop, Bowchein, Bricknell, Chase, Clarke, Downing, Enderley, Fellebrigge, Focell, Guest, Hanford, Hatherly, Henderson, Hunter, Jelliman, Kight, Knapp, McKinnon, O'Steen, Philbrick, Porter, Reade, Robinson, Smith, Stafford, Tilton, Turner, Weeks, White, and others.
Interesting characters in our ancestry include:
1. Colonel Richard Lee, the Emigrant (1610-1664)- 9th great grandfather - Patriarch of the Lees of Virginia.
2. Rev. John Robinson, M.A., the famed "Apostle of Leyden" (1575-1624) - 12th great grandfather - Pastor of the Pilgrims in Holland, and spiritual leader of them when they came to Plymouth.
3. Colonel Nicholas Greenberry (1627-1697)- 8th great grandfather - Royal Governor of Maryland in the 1690's. Early settler of Maryland.
4. King Henry VII (1456-1509)- 14th great grandfather - King of England from 1485-1509; founder of the Tudor Dynasty. Ended the Wars of the Roses by winning the Battle of Bosworth against Richard III.
5. King William I "the Conqueror" (1027-1087)- 25th great grandfather - Norman noble who conquerored England from his cousin, King Harold. Founded the modern English monarchy as we now know it.
6. Eleanor of Acquitaine (1122-1204), Queen of England - 22nd great grandmother.
7. John Howard (1420-1485), Duke of Norfolk - 14th great grandfather - Killed at the Battle of Bosworth fighting for Richard III.
Those were but a very few of the many interesting characters we are descended from. Listed below are a few interesting people we are related to (i.e. cousins):
1. General Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)-Fourth cousin, six times removed; Commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia during the American Civil War.
2. James Knox Polk (1795-1849)- Cousin; Eleventh President of the United States, Governor of Tennessee, and Speaker of the House of Representatives.
3. Millard Fillmore (1800-1874)- Half fifth cousin, seven times removed; Thirteenth President of the United States.
4. Salmon Portland Chase (1808-1873)- Sixth cousin, seven times removed; Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, United States Senator, Governor of Ohio, and lawyer.
5. Lewis Cass (1782-1866)- Fifth cousin, eight times removed; United States Senator; Governor of Michigan.
6. (Ivan Simon) Cary Elwes (1962 -), actor - 15th cousin once removed.
7. Lady Jane Grey (1537-1554), Queen of England for Nine Days - second cousin, 13 times removed.
8.King Henry VIII (1491-1547), King of England - 13th great grand uncle.Famous for his six wives.
Again, these are but a few of the many interesting persons we are related to.
|Ancestors of Thomas William Baine, V|
Updated January 31, 2001
Thomas William Baine
GEDCOM Trees(viewing trees requires 4.0 or later)
Family Tree Maker Reports and Trees