|Margaret R. Bates|
| SURNAMES: |
* Boydstun * Bridgewater * Brower * Canfield * Cason * Clement
* Conway * Dickenson * DUKES * Gardner * Gooch * Ground * Jones
* Long * Minter * Moser * Prewitt * Richardson
* Brower * Echols * Eisenhower * Elder * English * Fitzpatrick
* Hale * Law * Lumpkin * MacDonald * Niblack * Rosson
* Shamburger * Shockley * Tigner
By Marriage Only -- Bates * Partin
Most of these families ended up in the South -- Texas and Mississippi -- by the middle of the 1800s. Bates and Partin are the families of my husband, Michael Julian Bates. The Bates family is said to come from Iowa. The Partin family is from Bell County, Kentucky for at least the last 3 generations.
I would like to hear from other researchers on these lines and am willing to share information I have gathered with other researchers.
* For nearly 70 years, family members have been trying (and failing) to determine the parents of Robert DUKES (b. 1765-1774 NC? d. 1814 Va) of Abingdon, Virginia, who married Henrietta Dickenson. From old letters, the father of Robert Dukes is described as a "sad and lonely man" who, according to one account, was the son of an English Duke. He had a businessman named James Catesby Kennedy who apparently conducted his affairs. Letters have not given a clue to his wife or other siblings except for a brother named "Sherwood." The names "Robert" and "Sherrard" or "Sherod" have appeared in every generation to this day. According to a census of one of the sons of Robert Dukes and Henrietta Dickenson, Robert S. Dukes (1806 VA - 1884 CA), the father was born in North Carolina. Various researchers have tried looking into the Kennedy line, as well as trying to sort out the enormous Duke/Dukes family of North Carolina for clues, without success. Anyone having leads on this family, please HELP!!
**NOTE: The outline for Thomas Boylston Sr. and descendants was removed when I learned of an error in a recent marriage. While I hope to get this restored soon, it appears that the file has outgrown my computer's (very large) memory. It crashes when I try to privatize the file. I'm working on this. (May 2006) (MRB)