My Family and Other Animals - The Beavers of Oakham:Information about Sarah Beaver
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Sarah Beaver (b. Oct 12, 1863, d. Mar 07, 1942)
Sarah Beaver (daughter of Thomas Beaver and Eleanor Norris) was born Oct 12, 1863 in Oakham, and died Mar 07, 1942 in Ketton, Rutland.She married (2) Robert Henry Williams.She married (3) John Greensmith on Dec 14, 1886 in Oakham, Rutland.She married (4) William Wass Dixey on Oct 05, 1915 in Oakham, Rutland.
Notes for Sarah Beaver:
Evidently having a "colourful" life, Sarah went to London as a teenager and worked as a kitchenmaid in the household of the Clifton family, at 5, Richmond Terrace. The lady of the house was apparently from Exton, in Rutland. Shortly before her twentieth birthday she went to Liverpool, where she may have joined her eldest sister and where her daughter, Lizzie was born. She later married John Greensmith, and they and their two daughters sailed from London on the "Tara" bound for Australia on April 2, 1891. Unfortunately, their eldest daughter, Sarah Eleanor, died en route and was buried in a cemetery alongside the Suez Canal. The family continued with their journey and arrived at Townsville, Queensland, on March 19, 1891. They headed for a Mr. Perkins at the North Star Hotel in Richmond, a small town 500km inland from Townsville, and where it was assumed a job was awaiting them. However, some time between December 1891 and 1893, Sarah and John apparently parted company.There is no record of their divorce whatsoever, but John apparently took their daughter, Edith Lucy, with him. In the meantime, Sarah met Robert Henry Williams, a miner in the goldfields near Charters Towers, in Queensland. Again, there is no record of their marriage, but they had six children who all bore the surname Williams. Soon after Roberts death in 1913, Sarah returned to England with their youngest son, Matthew. The remaining children were left in the care of their eldest son, also called Robert. Neither mother nor children met again. On returning to England, Sarah met and married William Dixey in 1915. There were no children from that marriage and Sarah died in 1942.
More About Sarah Beaver and John Greensmith:
Marriage: Dec 14, 1886, Oakham, Rutland.
More About Sarah Beaver and William Wass Dixey:
Marriage: Oct 05, 1915, Oakham, Rutland.
Children of Sarah Beaver are:
- +Lizzie Beaver, b. 1883, West Derby, Liverpool, d. 1940.
Children of Sarah Beaver and Robert Henry Williams are:
- +Robert Henry Williams, b. Apr 03, 1894, Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia, d. 1951.
- Eleanor Williams, b. Apr 24, 1895, Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia.
- Emily Williams, b. Sep 10, 1896, Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia.
- Edith Williams, b. Apr 27, 1898, Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia, d. Jun 01, 1986, Toowoomba, Queensland.
- Albert Richard Williams, b. Aug 22, 1900, Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia.
- +Matthew Haley Williams, b. May 05, 1910, Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia.
Children of Sarah Beaver and John Greensmith are:
- Sarah Eleanor Greensmith, b. Jul 11, 1887, Oakham, d. Apr 04, 1891, At sea.
- +Edith Lucy Greensmith, b. Mar 08, 1889, Braunston, Rutland.