| || Notes for Thomas Giveans:|
Posted by JR:
SOURCE: Reichlein, Jane Tyler Craig, "The Samuel Givens Family AndKin," (1981), printed in USA
_____ Givens, (May have been Thomas Givens), and was a brother of Samuel
Givens (1693-1740). Lived and died in Antrim Co., Ireland.
One of his sons was John Givens, b. 1727 in Ireland; lived at Ramsours Mill in NC during the Rev. War; d. ca. 1794 in Lincoln Co., KY. He left a will which was written April 19, 1794 and probated in Lincoln Co., KY on July 15, 1794. You might want to send for a copy. John m. Rebecca Brown (widow Long). John had five sons fighting against the British in the American Revolution.
A summary of the children of John Givens:
1. Samuel Givens, b. ca. 1755, Rowan Co., NC., m. Margaret Givens, his first cousin.
2. John Givens (Jr.), b. ca. 1757, Rowan Co., NC.
3. Thomas Givens, b. 1758 in Rowan Co., NC, d. May 10, 1780 (as a soldier in Rev. Army), burial place listed.
4. Robert Givens, b. May 20, 1759, Rowan Co., NC, d. Oct, 2, 1833,Lincoln Co., KY, m. Martha Givens, Jr., his cousin.
5. Allen Givens, b. ca. 1762, Mecklenburg Co., NC, d. post 1850. M. 1st Martha Robertson, Feb. 26, 1793, Bourgon Co., KY. M. 2nd Rhoda _____ , b. in SC, d. in Butler Co., KY.
6. James Givens, b. April 8, 1764 at Beatty's Ford, Mecklenburg Co., NC, d. 1846 in Gibson Co., TY, m. Patsy Miller ca. 1789 in Lincoln Co., KY.He is in the National Archives Pension File S1879.
7. Patsy or Mary Givens, b. ca. 1766 in Mecklenburg Co., NC. May have
married a Mr. McGill.
8. Ruth Givens, b. ca. 1768 - may have married in Bourbon Co., KY.
9. Eleazer Givens (Eliezer Givens), b. Aug. 11, 1770, Mecklenburg Co., NC, d. Smithland KY, Aug. 25, 1833. M. 1st Mary Campbell, Jan. 20, 1794 (parents listed). M. 2nd Jane Robertson, Aug. 27, 1796 in Lincoln Co., KY(parents listed). M. 3rd Mrs. Mary Savage Sittler (parents listed).
It is with James Givens, (my no. 6), b. April 8, 1764, that I continue:
In 1789 he moved to Lincoln Co., KY, and in 1809 to Winchester TN, andin 1833 to Gibson Co., TN, where he died at Eaton, TN in 1846. His wifePatsy Miller was probably a dau. of Alexander Miller, Sr. who died in 1793.
Will quote one item of interest: "Records in Virginia show that Alexander Miller was the executor of the estate of Patrick Miller, deceased. Mary Black, daughter of Alexander Black and wife Jane, had married a Mr. Miller August 1756, no doubt he was Patrick Miller. Mary Black's younger sister, Rachel Black, b. 1750 married Capt. George Givens, 1767." Capt. George Givens was the youngest son of Samuel Givens (1693-1740).
James and Patsey's children:
1. Jane H. Givens, b. June 19, 1790, Lincoln Co., KY, d. 1869, m. James Dinwiddie April 11, 1811 in Lincoln Co., KY. He was b. July 4, 1788 and d. in Green Co., TN Sept. 8, 1841. James was a son of William Dinwiddie who m. in Amherst Co., VA in 1787, Agnes _____. (Note: It is v. unclear whether her surname was Simpson, if she was "widow Simpson," or if she married someone by the name of Simpson after William died.) However, "Widow Agnes Simpson died in Shelby Co., KY in 1822, leaving a Will."The residence of Jane H. (Givens) Dinwiddie was Franklin Co. or Winchester Co., TN. There are only six of the children mentioned (Joe, in his request, mentions 11 children): Those listed in the book are: Mary Ellen, Alexander M., Pleasant, Emily, Margaret and Robert. Mary Ellen, b. May 18, 1813, d. Jan 21, 1899, m. Seth William (more info. in the book on them.)
2. Mary Givens, d. b/4 1846, m. Mr. Cannon.
3. Charles G. Givens b. 1800 in NC. Received money from his father's will.
4. Sarach C. Givens, m. Mr. Storm or Stone.
5. Isabella Givens, m. E. R. Eanes.
6. Martha (R.C.) Givens, m. Joseph or R. C. Hill. Had son, Charles Hill.
7. John E. Givens, b. 1805, NC. Was willed land and cattle by his father's will.