The Robert Boyett's Of DuQuoin IL:Information about Abram Van Horn
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Rev. Abram Van Horn (b. 31 Dec 1763, d. 05 Jan 1840)Abram Van Horn (son of Abraham Van Horn) was born 31 Dec 1763, and died 05 Jan 1840.
Notes for Abram Van Horn:
During the Revolutionary War he assisted his father as a Commissary of the Continental Army until after the victory at Yorktown. Then he entered Queens College (Rutgers) and studied for the ministry and received his license to preach in 1792 according to Sprague's Annals of The Reformed Church of America.He held three pastorates, one at Warwarsing, one near Kingston and his last at Caughnawaga (Fonda N.Y.), from 1796 to 1833.. It was during his last pastorate that there occured the transition of the Dutch language to English so he had to preach in both languages. He married over 1500 couples and baptized over twenty three hundred children, and assisted in organizing several Reformed Churches. (Taken from "The Van Horn Genealogy" By Elsie O Hallenbeck.
More About Abram Van Horn:
Burial: Unknown, Old Caughnawaga Church Yard in the back of the old D.R.C. of Caughnawaga.
More About Abram Van Horn and <Unnamed>:
Marriage: 13 Oct 1785
Children of Abram Van Horn are:
- Cornelius Van Horn, b. 09 Dec 1789, d. date unknown.
- +Abraham A. Van Horn, b. 27 Jan 1790, d. 14 Apr 1871.
- Maria Van Horn, b. 24 Nov 1791, d. date unknown.
- +Cornelius Covenhoven Van Horn, b. 13 Apr 1794, d. 07 Jul 1854.
- Gertrude Van Horn, b. 12 Jan 1797, d. date unknown.
- Catharine Van Horn, b. 12 Jan 1799, d. date unknown.
- +William F. Van Horn, b. 31 Mar 1801, d. date unknown.
- Anna B Van Horn, b. 13 Oct 1803, d. date unknown.
- +Matthew Van Horn, b. 12 Nov 1806, d. 31 Jan 1867.
- Nelly Van Horn, b. 27 Jul 1809, d. date unknown.