My Genealogy Home Page:Information about David Morris
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
David Morris (b. Abt. 1802)David Morris31 was born Abt. 1802 in Maryland32, 33.He married (1) Unknown on Abt. 1830.He married (2) Nancy Davis on May 29, 1845 in Solsberry, Beech Creek Township, Greene Co., IN..
Notes for David Morris:
Early Settlers of Green County, Indiana
(From Southern States)
1839-Maryland via Ohio:David Morris, born ca 1802 in Maryland, wife and three children came from Ohio in 1839 and settled in Beech Creek Township.He married 29 May 1845, 2nd wife, Nancy Davis, born ca 1822 in Indiana.
David and Nancy (Davis) Morris bought land from James Burch at Point Commerce, Jefferson township, Greene County, Indiana, in Nov. for $400.00 and from Samuel Martin on December 23, 1848 for $200.00.They sold their land in 1877 and went by wagon-train to Red River County, Texas.
In 1874, David and Nancy Morris sold some property to Joshua Pryor for the sum of thirteen-hundred dollars.
Book H - Page 19
David & Nancy Morris to Aaron Combs
Warranty Deed:February 06, 1849
Pt. NW Section 21, Township #7, Range #3 for 100 acres.
Dated: August 20, 1849
Book 10 - Page 385
David Morris to Joshua Pryor
Warranty Deed:February 20, 1874
N 1/2 NW Sec. #23, Twp #8, Range #4 for 80 acres
Recorded: February 13, 1875
In June 1978,my mother(Nellie Kristofferson) and I(Orita Shultz)went to Greene County, Indiana in hopes of finding some trace of ourancestors. We wanted to find out where Point Commerce was located.I askedfor some information at the post office in Worthington and they sent meto see Shirley Short, on Jefferson Street, whose maiden name hadbeen Morris.We talked for two and one-half hours, then she and herhusbandand some friends took us to Point Commerce, and the old cemetery there.This was on the Hays farm.There were a few old buildings still standing, including a very big old dance-hall.It was a very interesting old ghost-town. It was located on the Eel River where it joins the White River, east of Worthington, Indiana.We didn'tfind any of our Morris family here, and Shirley Shorts family was not related to ours.
We also visited Solsberry, Greene County, Indiana, where we went to the Yoho store (his name) and the owner opened some ham and cheese and made us some sandwiches and got us some cookies and milk. Hehad a little of everything in his store, including wooden floors that went up and down hill. :)He told us to see Louise Cox, and gave usdirections.Very narrow winding roads, almost cow paths. We stayed a couple hours and went through some record books that she had collected.Except for the marriage record of Delania A. Morris, we didn't find any useful information.The Morris family had lived in the area over thirty-two years and some of the children remained therewhen David and Nancy went to Texas.
More About David Morris and Unknown:
Marriage: Abt. 1830
More About David Morris and Nancy Davis:
Marriage: May 29, 1845, Solsberry, Beech Creek Township, Greene Co., IN..
Children of David Morris and Unknown are:
- Eleanor Morris, b. Abt. 1833.
- Saline R. Morris, b. Abt. 1836.
- Mary M. Morris, b. Abt. 1838.
- Joseph W. Morris, b. Abt. 1839.
Children of David Morris and Nancy Davis are:
- Henry Morris, b. Abt. 1846, Beech Creek Township, Greene County, Indiana33.
- Mary Martha Morris, b. Abt. 1847, Beech Creek Township, Greene County, Indiana.
- +Daniel Morris, b. 1849, Greene County, Indiana, d. date unknown, Bowie County, Texas.
- +David Martin Van Buren Morris, b. Jan 31, 1852, Greene County, Indiana33, d. Sep 18, 1908, Muncie, Indiana33.
- +Jefferson Morris, b. Jun 1853, Greene County, IN..
- +Delania Ann Morris, b. 1856, Greene County, IN.33, d. Nov 1933, Columbus City, Louisa County, Iowa33.
- +William Owen Morris, b. Abt. 1857, Greene County, IN..
- Charlotte R. Morris, b. Abt. 1860, Greene County, Indiana.
- +Mary Jane Morris, b. Apr 02, 1865, Green County, IN., d. Feb 23, 1917, Haworth, McCurtain Co. OK.
- S. Douglas Morris, b. Abt. 1873, Greene County, IN..