Walter Tschudin & William C Ostrander Families:Information about Henry Bolton, Sr.
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Henry Bolton, Sr. (b. 24 November 1741, d. 24 November 1846)Henry Bolton, Sr. (son of ? Bolton)286 was born 24 November 1741 in London, England286, and died 24 November 1846 in Giles County, Virginia286.He married (1) Catherine Chapman on 1786286.He married (2) Nancy Mann on 05 April 1799 in Botetourt, Virginia286.
Notes for Henry Bolton, Sr.:
Henry Bolton and (his brother) Conrad Bolton were born in London, England. About 1757
Henry was born. Conrad about two years later. Henry Bolton enlisted in the Continental Army about 1776 at Haggerstown, Maryland, battery. Was wounded in the battle of Brandywine. Was shot in the hip which left him crippled for life and was carried from the battlefield on a cannon wagon. He was married twice and the father of twenty-one children. He enlisted through the direct influence of George Washington, who came to the barn where he was caring for the horses of a man by the mane of Moore who he was bound out to. Washington wore a long coat and asked Henry if he would like to draw his own pay. (He) said, "I understand you are a bound boy and I see you take good care of the horses." His answer was, " I would like to, but Mr. Moore is very good to me." Washington said, "You come to my tent in the morning at nine o'clock and wer will arrange it." Henry said, "Who are you?" He said, "George Washington. The boys will tell you where my headquarters are". So in the morning he went and was taken to headquarters where the guard asked Washington if he had an appointment with a young man at nine o'clock. He said yes. Just advised him to enlist and go back and take care of his horses till further orders. He was assigned to the artillery. He was at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis at York. After the war he returned and worked for Mr. Moore. Was married while working for Mr. Moore then moved to ... (end of transcription).
Ref: A typed page stating: "BOLTON HISTORY. This was copied from information Grandma
Lewis had copied from the Bolton history book that Uncle Will (?) Bolton had." Unknown where this book is available today (March 16, 1997).
Henry and William (Conrad?) Bolton started from England to America with their parents in 1751, or there about. They suffered ship wreck and Henry and William alone survived. They both enlisted in the U.S. Army. William was never heard of again by Henry. Henry ... (transcription leaves off here.)
Ref: Transcript from Francis Wright's copy of Mary Bolton's Family Bible.
More About Henry Bolton, Sr. and Catherine Chapman:
More About Henry Bolton, Sr. and Nancy Mann:
Marriage: 05 April 1799, Botetourt, Virginia.286
Children of Henry Bolton, Sr. and Catherine Chapman are:
- Elizabeth Bolton, b. 06 November 1787287, d. 25 November 1809287.
- +Catherine Bolton, b. 17 June 1789287, d. 25 November 1809287.
- Mary (Polly) Bolton, b. 15 March 1791287, d. 25 November 1809287.
- +Jacob Bolton, b. 27 April 1793287, d. 1859287.
- +Peter Bolton, b. 28 September 1796, Virginia287, d. 17 March 1858287.
- Sarah Bolton, b. 15 September 1797287, d. 10 September 1798287.
Children of Henry Bolton, Sr. and Nancy Mann are:
- Henry Bolton, b. 11 January 1800288, d. 1875288.
- Margaret Bolton, b. June 1802288.
- George Bolton, b. 24 June 1804288, d. 1848288.
- Sara Bolton, b. 1806288.
- +William Henry Bolton, b. 10 November 1807288, d. 1863288.
- Martha (Patsy) Bolton, b. 21 October 1809288, 289.
- Nancy Bolton, b. 30 October 1811290, d. 1855290.
- Christiana (Christine) Bolton, b. 09 September 1814290.
- Joseph Preston Bolton, b. 28 July 1815290.
- John Bolton, b. 30 July 1816290.
- +Absolem Dempsey Bolton, b. 01 August 1818, Pearisburg, Giles County, Virginia291, d. 02 June 1892, Eatonville, Cowley County, Kansas291.
- Daniel Bolton, b. 31 May 1820292, d. 1887292.
- Elyan (Eliza Ann) Bolton, b. 01 April 1822292, d. 1903292.
- James M Bolton, b. 09 July 1824292, d. 1904292.
- David Bolton, b. 09 January 1826292, d. 1859292.