The Burton Family (Colonial Virginia to the 21st Century):Information about Jesse Burton
Jesse Burton (b. 1750, d. 1795)
Notes for Jesse Burton:
The following is from the "Burton Chronicles," by Francis Burton Harrison:
Jesse Burton was, as we have seen, the eldest son of Captain William Burton of Albemarle and of Rebecca Cobbs.He was born about 1750 on his father's plantation on Dover Mill Creek in Goochaland county.Jesse was no doubt named after his uncle Jesse Cobbs.When about eight years ole he moved with his parents a little further up te James, as was by then a custom of the Burtons"whereof the mind of man runneth not to the contrary."
The plantation on which they then settled was just across the Rivanna, in the forks of the James, the eastern end of Albemarle-soon to become Fluvanna county.Sometime before 1780 Jesse Burton moved on upward to Campbell county where his "lares et penates" came finally to rest, until he died there at his home "The Oaks" in 1795.
Children of Jesse Burton and Anna Maria Hudson are:
- +Alexander Burton, d. Abt. 1820.
- William Burton, d. date unknown.
- +Robert Burton, d. date unknown.
- John Hudson Burton, d. date unknown.
- Martha Burton, d. date unknown.
- +Anne Burton, d. date unknown.
- +Sarah Hudson Burton, b. 1784, d. February 20, 1839.
- +Jesse Burton, d. date unknown.