The Davis' of Robeson, Davisboro, and Rochester:Information about Henry Hollingsworth Davis
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Henry Hollingsworth Davis (b. February 26, 1821, d. November 24, 1903)Henry Hollingsworth Davis (son of Jacob Rhodes and Susanna Davis) was born February 26, 1821 in NC, and died November 24, 1903 in Tennille, GA.He married Eliza Jane Gaddy on May 24, 1847 in Robeson Co., NC1, daughter of James Gaddy and Elizabeth Jones.
Notes for Henry Hollingsworth Davis:
Henry Hollingsworth Davis was described in census as an engineer.He was also a contractor/builder and built many homes in Tennille.The plantation in Davisboro was poor land. It was described by his son Robert as "fit only to raise squirrels and children."He was Postmaster in Davisboro, GA when he joined the Confederate Army in 1861.He served with Company G, First Georgia Regulars as an officer (Lt or Maj) and was honorably discharged around the 3rd of May, 1865.He earned the Cross of Honor.He worked in the Ordinance department and "served the cause in many ways during the entire struggle." According to one of his daughters, he was so like in appearance to Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, that he was used as a camoflage for him when traveling tho he was much younger.He died in 1903 in Tennille, Ga and was buried in his Confederate uniform.He was a top Mason official and all Masonic Temples in Georgia were draped in black at his death.
More About Henry Hollingsworth Davis and Eliza Jane Gaddy:
Marriage: May 24, 1847, Robeson Co., NC.1
Marriage Fact: One record indicates marriage was 1845.
Children of Henry Hollingsworth Davis and Eliza Jane Gaddy are:
- John Jones Davis, b. 1849, d. date unknown.
- Florence R. Davis, b. January 21, 1852, d. date unknown.
- Susan Davis, b. 1853, d. date unknown.
- Elizabeth Davis, b. March 15, 1855, d. date unknown.
- Mary Jane (Mollie) Davis, b. January 21, 1859, d. date unknown.
- Henry Jefferson Davis, b. June 02, 1861, d. date unknown.
- +Charles (nmi) Davis, b. June 25, 1864, Davisboro, GA, d. September 17, 1949, Rochester, NY.
- Catherine (Kate) Davis, b. March 06, 1867, d. March 10, 1923.
- Robert J. Davis, b. 1869, d. date unknown.
- Fred Gaddy Davis, b. October 08, 1872, d. date unknown.