My Genealogy Home Page:Information about William Peyton Ferren
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
William Peyton Ferren (b. March 30, 1845, d. February 08, 1921)William Peyton Ferren (son of William Ferren and Tabitha Tally) was born March 30, 1845 in Abingdon, VA, and died February 08, 1921 in Powellton, Fayette, Co.,WV.He married Sarah Amanda Smith on December 14, 1871 in Fayettte Co., WV, daughter of Robert Smith and Harriet Athen Ford.
Notes for William Peyton Ferren:
Family tradition holds that our earliest American ancestor was an Irish immigrant surnamed O'FERREN.Yet, for some unknown reasonWIlliam Peyton Ferren and all of his descendants (except for one son) assumed the surname FARRELL.Why this was done is not yet clear. The author of this report has personally visited the gravesite of William Peyton's wife, Sarah Amanda Smith (Ferren) at Pratt, West Virginia, and the marker is inscribed with the surname FARRELL. Only one of their children, son John Richard, is known with certaintyto have keptthe surname FERREN, and his descendants all live along the Pacific coast region of California and Oregon to this day. The author has talked personally to some of these descendants and has confirmed the family relationship.
The name FERREN is documented in an old Family Bible kept bySarah Amanda Smith (Ferren) who began keeping records in the Bible around 1880. The Bible was last known to be in the possession of the late Minnie Edwards Farrell (Bartlam) of Saint Augustine, FL. Minnie stated in a letter to her brother, Robert Lee Farrell,that Sarah had hand-written all of her childrens' surnames as FERREN. Note that the names of the parents ofWilliam Peyton Ferren as listed in this report are presumed,based on the U.S. census of 1850, Grayson County, Virginia, (entry #237),wherein the names of three of the children ofWilliam Ferren (Martha, Hezekiah, and John) matched those documented in Sarah's family Bible. The matching names, (particularly Hezekiah) as well as the correct time frame and geographic location, appear to be more than coincidental and a probable family connection seems likely.
Finally, there is a story told by some family members of an unspecified "death-bed confession" that William Peyton Ferren was once a fugitive from the authorities in Virginia and fled to the mountains of West Virginia where he changed his surname to FARRELL. In fact, it has even been postulated that William Peyton Ferren may actually be Hezekiah Ferren, as there is no record of a young William in the 1850 census. Brother Frank is also missing from the record, but may have been born after the census was taken.
More About William Peyton Ferren:
Burial Place: Powellton hollow, Fayette Co., WV.
Occupation: Railroad Laborer.
More About William Peyton Ferren and Sarah Amanda Smith:
Marriage: December 14, 1871, Fayettte Co., WV.
Children of William Peyton Ferren and Sarah Amanda Smith are:
- Charles Edward Farrell, b. October 10, 1872, d. May 26, 1906, Powellton, Fayette, Co.,WV.
- +Hezekiah Farrell, b. November 13, 1873, WV, d. May 08, 1957, Pratt, Kanawha Co.,WV.
- Molly Jane Farrell, b. October 11, 1876, WV,d., Powellton, WV.
- +Robert Franklin Farrell, b. April 07, 1878, Paw Paw, Morgan Co., WV32, d. March 03, 1964, Pratt, WV32.
- Leslie Peyton Farrell, b. May 05, 1879, WV,d., Powellton, WV.
- +John Richard Ferren, b. April 21, 1880, WV, d. Abt. 1940, Arizona.
- +Cynthia Lena Farrell, b. November 01, 1882, d. date unknown, Powellton, WV.
- Emma Rose Farrell, b. 1884, d. 1884, Anstead, WV.
- +Susan Levenia Farrell, b. November 11, 1886, WV, d. December 1972, Normangee, TX33.
- Willis Sydney Farrell, b. 1891, WV, d. October 08, 1910, Powellton, WV.
- Margaret Ann Farrell, b. February 09, 1893, WV,d., Powellton, WV.
- +Geroge Washington Farrell, b. July 19, 1894, Mount Carbon, WV34, d. July 06, 1964, Charleston, WV34.
- Grace Paige Farrell, b. Abt. 1900, d. Abt. 1901.
- Annie Marie Farrell, b. March 30, 1900, WV, d. September 05, 1905, Powellton, WV.