Lou Alice Fink of Louisville, KY:Information about Alexander* Lindsay
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Alexander* Lindsay (b. 1423, d. Sep 1463)Alexander* Lindsay5, 5 was born 1423 in Crawford, Lanarkshire, Scotland5, and died Sep 1463 in Finhaven Castle, Oathlaw, Angusshire, Scotland5.He married Margaret* De Dunbar on 1440 in Crawford, Lanarkshire, Scotland5, daughter of David* De Dunbar.
Notes for Alexander* Lindsay:
Finhaven Castle is located several miles northeast of Forfar. Although it is presently in a ruinous condition, it is still standing. This castle was a former seat of the Crawford family.
The Lindsay's fortunes reached their height in the 1400's. There were junior houses in Dumfries, Lanarkshire, Lothian, Fife, Perth, Inverness, and Aberdeen. The two main lines of the Lindsays of Crawford and the Lindsays of Byers had become one of the great family interests of the north, owning much of Angus, and dominating the county politically and militarily. From this position of power (and with their strong Stewart blood), the Lindsays were able to take a leading part in the great and dangerous game of making (and unmaking) kings. The main figures in this contest were the 4th and 5th Earls of Crawford:
Alexander, the 4th Earl, called the Earl Beardie or Tiger Earl, who joined the great rebellion of Douglas and MacDonald against King James II
David, the 5th Earl, later the Duke of Montrose, the favorite of James III
The 4th Earl—Earl Beardie
The Tiger Earl, or Earl Beardie as he was alternatively known both for his ferocious disposition and for his flame-red hair, made himself a virtual tyrant in Angus. He conspired with the great Lords of the South and West to subvert the crown and thwart its plans to force submission by the feudal Barons. MacDonald, however, lost his nerve, and Douglas lost his head when he was treacherously slain by King James II himself in Stirling Castle.
Crawford was left, therefore, with a stark alternative: Take on the crown alone, or make a humiliating submission. The latter seemed just as dangerous as the former, since the King had sworn that he would raze Crawford's great castle of Finhaven to the ground, "making its highest stone, its lowest." Nevertheless, when Earl Beardie did agree to throw himself on King James' mercy, his repentance was so abject that James had no alternative but to forgive him. Yet he had sworn an oath against Crawford! How could he avoid breaking it? An ingenious courtier suggested the answer. Earl Beardie invited the King to Finhaven, where he entertained him in regal style. And then early one morning, King James went up onto the roof of the castle and ceremonially threw its highest stone down into the courtyard, thus fulfilling his oath.
Despite this reconciliation, however, the local folks continued to think of the Earl Beardie as a great rebel. The Earl earned a reputation not only for cruelty, but also for resorting to the Black Arts to further his political purposed. His cruelty is related in the story of a messenger who once cut a cudgel from a chestnut tree growing on the Finhaven Castle grounds. Earl Beardie hanged him for the offense from one of the chestnut tree boughs.
The ghost of this luckless messenger still walks between Finhaven and Cariston, and another rhyme tells us that:
Earl Beardie ne'er will dee,
Nor puir Jock Barefoot be set free,
As lang's there grows a chestnut tree.
Sara Thurmond, FSA Scot.
inhaven (anc. Fothnevyn Gael.fodha-fainn, ' place under a hill '), a ruined castle in Oathlaw parish, Forfarshire, on a rising-ground at the influx of Lemno Burn to the South Esk, 5¼ miles NNE of Forfar and 8 WSW of Brechin. A stately five-storied tower, 86 feet high, larger but plainer than Edzell, it dates in its present condition from the latter half of the 16th century. ' The N wall is yet entire, but the S one is rent through two-thirds of the length of the building, and on some frosty morning at no distant date will inevitably crumble to pieces.' According to Thomas the Rhymer's prediction:
' when Finhaven Castle rins to sand,
The warld's end is near at hand.'
The ruin is a very storehouse of strange memories. Hither David, third Earl of Crawford, and his foeman but brother-in-law, Ogilvy of Inverquharity, were brought, sore wounded, from the battle of Arbroath (1446). The Earl died after a week of lingering torture; and scarce was he dead, when the Countess hurried to Inverquharity's chamber, and smothered him with a pillow, thus avenging her husband by murdering her own brother. ' Earl Beardie ' or ' the Tiger ' Earl of Crawford fled to Finhaven from the rout of Brechin (1452), and, on alighting from his horse, exclaimed that gladly would he pass seven years in hell to gain the honour of Huntly's victory. Eleven months later he was pardoned by James II., who here received a sumptuous entertainment; but the King, having sworn in his wrath ' to make the highest stone of Finhaven the lowest, ' must needs, to keep his word, go up to the roof of the castle and thence throw down a stone that was lying loose on the battlements. On the Covin Tree of Finhaven, grown from a chestnut dropped by a Roman soldier, Earl Beardie hanged Jock Barefoot, the Careston gillie who had dared to cut a walking-stick therefrom, and whose ghost oft scares the belated wayfarer. The Covin Tree was levelled to the ground in 1760; but, in the secret chamber of Glamis, Earl Beardie still drees his weird, to play at cards until the clap of doom. In 1530 David, eighth Earl, was for thirteen weeks imprisoned in the dungeons of Finhaven by his son, the Wicked Master, who eleven years after was stabbed by a Dundee cobbler for taking fro, him a stoup of drink. David, tenth Earl, in 1546 married Margaret, daughter of Cardinal Beaton. The nuptials were solemnised at Finhaven with great magnificence, in presence of the Cardinal, who that same month was murdered at St Andrews. Held by the Lindsays since 1375, the estate was sold in 1629 by the fourteenth Earl of Crawford to his cousin, Lord Spynie. Later it was owned by the Carnegies, till in 1775 it was sold for £19, 500 to the Earl of Aboyne. It was sold again in 1805 for £45, 000 to a Mr Ford, and was re-sold in 1815 for £65,000 to a subsequent Earl of Aboyne, belonging now to that Earl's representative, the Marquis of Huntly. Wooded Finhaven Hill extends along all the south-eastern border of Oathlaw parish, and some way into Aberlemno. Culminating at a height of 751 feet above sea-level, it commands a beautiful view of Strathmore, and is crowned, on its north-eastern shoulder, with a vitrified fort, in the form nearly of a parallelogram 380 feet long and 112 at the broadest. Anciently there was a parish of Finhaven, divided now between Oathlaw and Aberlemno; and well on into the present century the former parish was oftener called Finhaven than Oathlaw. The church, standing 1 mile E of the castle, was built in 1380, and fell into disuse about the beginning of the 17th century. In its side aisle, however, the thirteenth Earl of Crawford was buried as late as 1622, and this aisle was left standing till 1815. In 1849 the ancient encaustic pavement of the church was laid bare, and two monuments were found at a considerable depth, one being of a robed ecclesiastic.—Ord. Sur., sh. 57, 1868. See chap. iv. of Andrew Jervise's Land of the Lindsays (Edinb. 1853).
More About Alexander* Lindsay:
Date born 2: 1387, Glenesk, Angusshire, Scotland.5
Degree: 17 great grandniece from Leo Moss side.
Died 2: 1453, Finhaven, Angusshire, Scotland.5
More About Alexander* Lindsay and Margaret* De Dunbar:
Marriage: 1440, Crawford, Lanarkshire, Scotland.5
Children of Alexander* Lindsay and Margaret* De Dunbar are:
- +Elizabeth* Lindsay, b. 1440, Kinnaird, Angu, Scotland5, 5, d. 22 Sep 1479, Scotland5, 5.