Genealogy of the various family relations.:Information about Surname History Dunn
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Surname History Dunn (d. date unknown)Surname History Dunn1848 died date unknown.
Notes for Surname History Dunn:
Dunn Family Name Coat of Arms
The Shield: Blue with a gold eagle displayed.
The Crest: A lizard in front of a holly tree.
The motto:"Mullac abu"
The Dunn family traces their ancestral roots back to Irish origin, and first appeared in ancient medieval records in Meath
O'Dunn, Dunne, Dunn, O'Doyne, O'Duinn, O'Doinn family coat of arms. Blazon: Azure an eagle displayed or. Crest: In front of a holly bush proper a lizard passant or.
DUNN (British)."Brown, dark, swarthy."
Coat of Arms: Blue with a gold eagle displayed.
Crest: A lizard in front of a holly tree.
Motto: Mullac abu.
Motto Translated: Victory for the Dunns.
Spelling variations include: Dunn, Dunne, Dun, O'Dunne, O'Doyne, Doine, Doin, O'Dunn and many more.
First found in county Meath where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: Thomas Dunn who settled in Wymouth, Massachusetts in 1647; Miss Dunn settled in the Barbados in 1774; Mrs. Dunn settled in Boston Mass. in 1766; Agnes Dunn settled in Charles Town, S.C. in 1767.
Coat of Arms: A red shield with a sword between two gold buckles in fess, and three gold locks.
Crest: A right hand holding a gold key in bend sinister.
Motto: Mecum habito.
Motto Translated: Dwell with me.
First found in Angus, where the name is associated with the place named Dun.
Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: Robert Dunn was a Loyalist who settled in Nova Scotia in 1785. Stephen Dunn was also a Loyalist who settled in Nova Scotia in 1784. Michael Dunn settled had in Stormont County, Ontario by 1871. John Dunn sailed to Maryland in 1668.
County of Northumberland
"The most northerly county of England. It lies next to Scotland, on the German Ocean, and is bounded by Durham and Cumberland. It extends about 70 miles in length, and 50 in breadth; and contains 12 market towns, and 460 parishes. The air is not so cold as might be imagined from the latitude in which it lies; and the snow seldom lies long in Northumberland, except on the tops of the hills, some of which are above 2000 feet high. The soil is various; the eastern part being fruitful, having very good wheat and most sorts of corn, with rich meadows on the banks of the rivers; but the western part is generally barren, it being mostly heathy and mountainous. It yields lead; and is one of the most productive and best coal-fields in England. Iron and glass-works are its principal manufactories; and it has some fisheries. This county is well watered by rivers, the principal of which are the Tyne, Tweed, and Coquet. Alnwick is the county-town, but the largest and richest is Newcastle
. Population, 250,278. It returns 8 members to parliament." [From Barclay's Complete and Universal English Dictionary, 1842]
The location of Newcastle (shown in green).
[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]
"NEWCASTLE, or Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It is situated among steep hills, on the Tyne, which is here a fine and deep river; so that ships of 3 or 4 hundred tons burden may safely come up to the town, though the large colliers are stationed at Shields. It is a very secure haven, and is defended by Clifford's Fort, which effectually commands all vessels that enter the river. The town may be considered as divided into two parts, of which Gateshead, on the Durham side, is one; and both are joined by a fine stone bridge consisting of 9 arches. The town rises on the north bank of the river, where the streets upon the ascent are exceedingly steep. Many of the houses are built of stone, but some of them are timber, and the rest of brick. The castle, which is old and ruinous, overlooks the whole town. The exchange, church-houses, and other public buildings, are elegant; and the quay for landing goods is long and large. Here is a hall for the surgeons, a large hospital, built by the contribution of the keel-men, for the maintenance of the poor of their fraternity; and several other charitable foundations. It is situated in the centre of the great collieries, which have for centuries supplied London, all the eastern, and some of the midland and southern parts of the kingdom with coal. This trade has been the source of great opulence to Newcastle; which, besides, exports large quantities of lead, salt, salmon, butter, tallow, and grindstones. Ships are sent hence to the Greenland fishery. It also possesses manufactories of steel, iron, and woollen cloth; and in the town and neighbourhood are several glass-houses. The streets in the old part of Newcastle are unsightly and narrow, but the newer parts are handsome and commodious. Newcastle is 270 miles from London. Markets, Tuesday and Saturday. Population, 49,860." [From Barclay's Complete and Universal English Dictionary, 1842]
THE HISTORY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
Many of our large towns and cities are products of the "industrial revolution" of the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries; but Newcastle upon Tyne has a long and proud history, documented since Roman times.
The Romans realised the military value of the site in its command of the Tyne crossing: they built a bridge guarded by a fort - called "Pons Aelius" - in about 122 AD, which formed a vital part of the frontier defence system which we know as Hadrian's Wall.
After the departure of the Romans in the early fifth century, for six centuries there is little record of the history of the town, though recent archaeological excavation in the area of the Keep provides evidence of continuing occupation by Saxons.
After the Norman Conquest, the strategic importance of Newcastle's site was again realised, along with its relative proximity to Scotland, its control of the river crossing and its possibilities as a port. All these made its fortification imperative and in 1080 Robert, Son of William I, had built a wooden fort - the "New Castle". The existing Keep dates from 1172-77 and the Black Gate from 1247. The town walls were added in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries.
Behind the protection of these fortifications Newcastle developed as a merchant and trading community; the most significant commodity in the medieval period was wool, but markets in many other types of goods - cloth, fish, hide - also developed. The growth of the town was aided by royal favours and charters: in 1216 the burgesses gained right to have a mayor and in 1400 the town became a county of itself, with its own sheriff. Much care was also taken to suppress the aspirations of other rival, communities along the Tyne. Newcastle became one of the great provincial centres of medieval England.
Top of the page Newcastle Local Studies Library
"Coals to Newcastle" - the phrase indicates the dominating importance of the coal trade to the town. By the end of the fourteenth century the "sea cole" trade to London and other ports had been established, although coal mining had begun much earlier. Newcastle's chartered control of the river meant that even coal mined outside the town boundaries was shipped through its port, greatly increasing revenue. Between 1565 and 1625 the coal trade increased twelve fold, a growth which saved Newcastle from the slump which affected other towns as the wool trade declined.
There was a brief halt to the town's continuing rise during the Civil War. Royalist Newcastle was besieged for three months in 1644 and fell to the Earl of Leven's Scottish army. (It was from this defence that Newcastle was said to have been granted its motto by Charles I: "Fortiter Defendit Triumphans" (Triumphing by a bold defence). Critical damage was done to the coal trade during the Civil War, but prosperity was regained remarkably quickly after Restoration. According to Hearth Tax Returns of 1663-65 Newcastle was the fourth largest provincial town in terms of the population, after Norwich, York and Bristol.
From the late seventeenth century, other trades and industries joined coal as producers of wealth, whether or not the factories were actually in Newcastle - iron, slat and glass for example. The town became a regional centre: a commercial infrastructure was developed which was not present in other north- east towns: an Assay Office from 1702, Carr's Bank (probably the first outside London) in 1755.
Only a prosperous town could support many charitable institutions such as the Infirmary (1752): only in a wealthy and confident society could artists and craftsmen such as Thomas Bewick, the wood engraver, William Beilby, the glass engraver, and David Stephenson, the architect (of All Saints Church) flourish. The intellectual and social climate was also propitious: the Assembly Rooms of 1776 and the Literary and Philosophical Society of 1793 are good examples. The Newcastle Gazette (1710) and the Newcastle Courant (1711) were the first newspapers published in the north of England.
There was of course another side to this coin. Much of the older part of the town was fearsomely squalid and many townspeople did not share in the general prosperity. As early as 1722 Daniel Defoe commented on the "prodigious number" of poor in Newcastle. The town walls had last been used defensively in 1745 and from the 1760's parts were demolished. Wealthier citizens began to desert the centre of town for the cleaner, healthier suburbs: Westgate was the first of these.
Top of the page Newcastle Local Studies Library
The city centre was largely rebuilt from the 1830's led by a partnership of Richard Grainger (developer). John Clayton (Town Clerk) and John Dobson (architect), though other architects such as Thomas Oliver were involved. Many of Newcastle's finest buildings and streets - Grey Street, Grainger Market, and the Theatre Royal date from this period.
In the nineteenth century new industries developed: locomotive building by the Stephensons for example, while other industries such as shipbuilding were greatly expanded. But the most significant enterprise was that begun by W.G. Armstrong at Elswick, building armaments and ships, which became by far the largest employer in the area, with a whole suburb housing the men. Newcastle became the centre of the inventiveness and commercial enterprise towards the end of the century with men such as J W Swan (electric light) and Sir C A Parsons (steam turbines, electricity supply).
Industrial growth expanded the city: new suburbs developed, such as Jesmond and Heaton, while urban transport encouraged movement away from the city centre with suburban railways and street tramways. The population of Newcastle increased from 87,784 (1851) to 266,671 (1911) while the land area expanded with the incorporation of Walker, Benwell. Fenham and part of Kenton in 1904.
Growth as a commercial and entertainment centre continued with the opening of large department stores such as Bainbridge's and Fenwicks and theatres such as the Empire. Intellectual developments included the Durham College of Medicine (1832), the Mining Institute (1852), and Durham College of Science (1871).
Tyneside as a whole was seriously affected by the inter-war depression as the staple industries on which it depended - coal, chemicals, ship-building and engineering declined. Newcastle perhaps suffered less than most towns because its service industries were more highly developed and its economy more broadly based.
Top of the page Newcastle Local Studies Library
Since the last war there has been further industrial decline, reflected in the city's participation in central government's Inner City Partnership and Enterprise Zone Schemes. Traditional forms of employment have largely been replaced by more retail and service industries. The City's status as a regional centre has been retained.
The City's reputation as a regional shopping centre has been enhanced by the development of shopping precincts such as Eldon Square (opened in 1976), Eldon Gardens (1989) and Monument Mall (1992).
Road transport to and from Newcastle has been improved with the opening of John Dobson Street in 1970 (the first new major street in the city centre for over 100 years), the Central Motorway East in 1973 and the Western Bypass in 1990.
Further improvements in transport came with the opening in 1980 of the Tyneside Metro, a rapid transport system which connects towns on both sides of the River Tyne with Central Newcastle.
In the 1990's the inner city is being revitalised under the Newcastle Initiative Scheme, designed to regenerate selected areas of the city and establish Newcastle as a vibrant and stylish regional capital. Grey Street, one of the finest streets in Europe, and the historic Quayside are have both been re-vamped. Frontages have been cleaned and interiors restored making the whole area a desirable one for business, residential and recreational use. Further west an Arts and Leisure Centre is being created together with the development of the Theatre Village and China Town area.
More About Surname History Dunn:
Other researchers 1: 26 August 2004, Dennis Locke.1849, 1850
Other researchers 2: Samuel Wait.1851, 1852
Other researchers 3: 19 September 2004, Lee Livingstone.1853, 1854
Researched 1: 17 January 2004, http://www.infokey.com/cgi-bin/getcoa.1854
Researched 2: 17 January 2004, http://search.swyrich.com/searchresults.asp?Licensee=8605&Surname=Dunn&sId=&t=5157.1854
Researched 3: 17 January 2004, http://www.familychronicle.com/namesae.htm.1854
Websites: 7 November 2004, http://www.henneberry.org/dunn/surname.htm.1854
Children of Surname History Dunn are:
- +William Dunn, b. 17811855, 1856, d. 30 January 1873, Embleton, Northumberland, Eng1857, 1858.