Harmon Frye & Maude Dougherty family:Information about William Dougherty
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Captain William Dougherty (b. August 29, 1816, d. January 03, 1891)William Dougherty (son of Patrick O'Dougherty and Rose McTeague)46, 47 was born August 29, 1816 in Letterkenny City, Donegal Co., Ireland, and died January 03, 1891 in Antioch, Monroe Co. Ohio48.He married (1) Sara Cisne on February 26, 1835 in Ohio49, daughter of Stephen Cisne and Mary Rose.He married (2) Margaret McManany on Aft. 1855 in Monroe Co. Ohio, daughter of Hugh McManany and Susan Harron.
Notes for William Dougherty:
On !850 U.S. Census, name spelled Daugherity.
May be buried either St. Sylvester Catholic Cemetery at Woodsfield, Ohio or find other Catholic cemetery that was also known as the Daugherty cemetery.
Monroe Co. Ohio Genealogical records Vol 3 p 82-83 continued from death notes for Wm Daugherty:
DAUGHERTY Helen M, wife of Edw. 1851-1894--DAUGHERTY Daniel d 4-25-1853 age 49y--DAUGHERTY Wm d 12-17-1851 age 14y6m7d--HARRON, John d 12-6-1859, age 84y--HARN Wm. son of T & C d 3-20-1855 age 2 y--HARN Martin son ofT & C d 6-17-1856 age 10m--McMENIAMA, Hugh d 3-29-1853 45y--McMENIAMA, Susannah wife of Hugh d9-11-1846 31y (nee Harran) on same stone Hugh infant son of H&D age 4m--McMENIAMA, Denis d4-3-1859 21y10m23d--CRONIN, Catherine A Daugherty-Cronin 2-25-1854 to 6-22-1883--CLINE, John M 2-27-1831 to 10-30-1907 Civil war vet--CLINE,Margaret 6-10-1834 to 4-6-1903.
(Family research in Monroe Co. Ohio--Vol 2 part 2 p 160) from Hardesty's Historical hand atlas of Monroe Co. 1882 p 22:
William Dougherty, a farmer and stock dealer of Perry township, was born as were his parents in Letterkenny City, County of Donegal, Ireland Aug. 29, 1816, and settled in Monroe Coi. Aug 9, 1820-- was a son of Patrick and Rose (McTeague) Dougherty. His father settled in Wayne township Aug 9 1820 (note by C. Fedorchak; not in the 1820 census) one of the early settlers. People then generally settled along the streams. Mr. Dougherty and family and also his parents are all Roman Catholics. They were very early visited in their new home by Priest Young, afterward Bishop Young and Farther Mullen. Their first church and the present one, the church of St. Paul and St. Peter is located in Washington twp (note-I don't know where this church is - maybe the church at woodsfield could tell you.) and was built in 1847. Mr. Dougherty was twice married - 1st Feb 26, 1835 - the first wife, sarah Cisne was born Jan. 15, 1819 and died June 11, 1859, Children by the first marriage: The first two died before they were named, Born Nov 16, 1837 and Feb 7, 1838 (note--seems unlikely, but that is the way it is given) Eleanor (Buchheit) Jan 22, 1839; Patrick, Dec 12, 1840; Henry, Nov 8, 1842; John S. Nov 9, 1844 died Nov 8 1861; Wm. M. Nov. 20, 1846, died Oct 19, 1850, Matthew March 20, 1848, Peter March 17, 1851, died in Jan 1852; George April 15, 1853, Nathan May 22, 1855.
The second marriage was in Wayne township March 22, 1856 to Margaret McManamy who was born in Perry township May 24, 1838. Her father Hugh McManamy, born in county Doinegal, Ireland, died in 1859, and her mother Susan Harran died in 1846. Children: Catharine b. April 11, 1857 died Oct 25, 1880; Mary E. May 12, 1859, died Nov 3, 1861, Dennis, Feb 9, 1861, died Nov 6 1861; Clement F April 17, 1863; Albert A. Oct 16, 1865; Thomas O. March 3, 1868; Sarah Feb 7, 1870; Stephen Jan 29, 1873, Chas. C. Jan 31, 1876. Mr Dougherty served in the late war from Oct 5, 1861 to Sept. 18, 1862 in Co K., 62nd Ohio Vol Inf. He received a captain's commission Dec 18, 1861, which he held until he left the service. He was in the first battle at Winchester, at Port Republic, Harrison's Landing, and the regiment was engaged most of the time while they were in the Shenandoah valley. He had some narrow escapes, once having the frontis-piece of his cap shot off, at another time having blood drawn above the right ear by a ball which shaved his hair. Mr. Dougherty's son, Henry, served in Co K, 62nd Ohio Vol Inf from Oct 5, 1861 to Nov 5, 1864. An only brother of Mr. Dougherty and his two sons served in the same regiment. Mrs. Dougherty's brother, Thomas McManamy was killed in the service at Fort Wagner, South Carolina and his brother John died at home during the war from diseases contracted in the service. Mr.Dougherty's address is Antioch, Monroe Co.
More About William Dougherty:
Military service: Bet. 1861 - 1864, Civil War Union Captain for Monroe Co. Ohio Volunteers.50
More About William Dougherty and Sara Cisne:
Marriage: February 26, 1835, Ohio.51
More About William Dougherty and Margaret McManany:
Marriage: Aft. 1855, Monroe Co. Ohio.
Children of William Dougherty and Sara Cisne are:
- Dougherty, b. November 16, 1837, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. November 1837, Monroe Co., Ohio.
- Dougherty, b. February 07, 1838, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. February 1838, Monroe Co., Ohio.
- Eleanor Dougherty, b. January 22, 1839, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- Patrick Dougherty, b. December 12, 1840, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. 1906.
- Henry Dougherty, b. November 08, 1842, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- John S. Dougherty, b. November 09, 1844, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. November 08, 1861, Monroe Co., Ohio.
- William M Dougherty, b. November 20, 1846, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. October 19, 1850, Monroe Co., Ohio.
- Matthew James Dougherty, b. March 20, 1849, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. 1897.
- Peter Dougherty, b. March 17, 1851, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. January 1852, Monroe Co., Ohio.
- George Dougherty, b. April 15, 1853, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- +Nathan Dougherty, b. May 22, 1855, Antioch, Monroe Co. Ohio, d. September 11, 1919, Viola, Vernon Co. Wisconsin.
Children of William Dougherty and Margaret McManany are:
- Catharine Dougherty, b. April 11, 1857, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. October 25, 1880, Monroe Co., Ohio.
- Harry Dougherty, b. November 06, 1861, Question if he belongs, d. date unknown.
- Mary Elizabeth Dougherty, b. May 12, 1859, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. November 03, 1861, Monroe Co., Ohio52.
- Dennis Dougherty, b. February 09, 1861, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. November 06, 1861, Monroe Co., Ohio.
- Clement F. Dougherty, b. April 17, 1863, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- Albert A. Dougherty, b. October 16, 1865, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- Thomas O. Dougherty, b. March 03, 1868, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- Sarah Dougherty, b. February 07, 1870, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- Stephen Dougherty, b. January 29, 1873, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.
- Chas. C. Dougherty, b. January 31, 1876, Monroe Co., Ohio, d. date unknown.