The Fuhro Family of Toms River, NJ:Information about Jan Cornelissen Van Tassel
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Jan Cornelissen Van Tassel (b. 1625, d. 1704)Jan Cornelissen Van Tassel was born 1625 in Fort Amsterdam, Manhattan, New York, and died 1704 in Tarrytown, Westchester, NY.He married Annetje Albertse Terhune on 01 May 1657 in Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York, daughter of Albert Alberts Terhune and Geertje.
Notes for Jan Cornelissen Van Tassel:
"Jan Cornelius Van Texell was the first of that name among the earliest Dutch settlers coming to New Netherlands. He was one of the well-known Van Texell family, of Holland, and emigrated to this country about the year 1630. Sometime after his arrival, Wyandance, Sachem of Long Island, gave him his (Wyandance's) daughter in marriage, she being one of the fourteen Indian women taken into captivity by Ninigret, chief of the Narragansetts, and afterwards ransomed through the good offices of Lion Gardiner."
"...one son was born, named after his father, Jan Cornelius Van Texell. He was baptized in the Dutch Church within Fort Amsterdam on Manhattan Island. This son was married in 1657 in New Amsterdam to Antje......The family afterwards moved from New Amsterdam and settled in the Indian town of Appmacpo, in Westchester county, which became a part of the manor of Cortland. The farm occupied by Jan Cornelius Van Texell, 2nd, comprised nearly the whole of the village of Sing Sing. He was quite a prominent man in that neighborhood. He was appointed tax collector, and for a number of years prior to 1700, collected the taxes from this particular town and paid them over to Chidley Brook, the colonial treasurer....""
"The exact date of the birth of Jan Cornelissen Van Texel, who is the first American born Ancestor, is unknown, but judging by the apprenticeship paper...and the general custom in such cases, it is the best opinion that at the end of the term of seven years apprenticeship to Hendrick Harmensen, Jan Cornelissen was twenty one years old. From this it is concluded that he was fourteen years old in 1639 and was born in 1625. Jan Cornelissen lived in Midwont (Flatbush) Long Island. It was there that he married his wife, Annetye Alberts, and his children were born there.....Jan Cornelissen Van Texel, and Annetje Alberts, his wife, became members of the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow when it was organized, and so continued until their deaths. He was at one time a Deacon, and at another time an Elder of the Church. Just when his wife died is not known, but he died during the year 1704. In his petition he said that he had nine children, but only eight appear. The other one must have died shortly after he died and was single."
More About Jan Cornelissen Van Tassel and Annetje Albertse Terhune:
Marriage: 01 May 1657, Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York.
Children of Jan Cornelissen Van Tassel and Annetje Albertse Terhune are:
- +Catrina Van Tassel, b. 1664, Midwont, Flatbush, Long Island, New York, d. date unknown.
- Cornelis Jansen Van Tassel, b. 1667, Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York, d. date unknown.
- Jan Cornelius Jr. Van Texel, b. 07 Jan 1667/68, Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York, d. date unknown.
- Sara Van Tassel, b. 1670, Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York, d. date unknown.
- Grietje "Margaret" Van Tassel, b. 1672, Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York, d. date unknown.
- Jacob Van Tassel, b. 23 Jul 1676, Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York, d. date unknown.
- Jan Van Tassel, b. 1678, Tarrytown, Westchester, New York, d. date unknown.
- William Van Tassel, b. 1678, Tarrytown, Westchester, New York, d. 06 Oct 1681, Flatbush, Kings, Long Island, New York.
- Annetje Van Tassel, b. 1683, Westchester, New York, d. date unknown.
- Hendrick Van Tassel, b. Abt. 1685, Tarrytown, Westchester, New York, d. date unknown.