| ||Notes for John Washburn:|
John Washburn, was baptized 2 July 1597; married on 23 November 1618 Margery Moore, baptized 3 November 1588, daughter of Robert Moore and Ellen Taylor. On 18 December 1624, Margery's father made his will and he mentioned her in it. On 3 October 1619, Mary, daughter of John Washbourne, was baptized. No further record of her is found, and as she did not accompany her mother to America she probably died before that event. On 26 November 1620 John, son of John Washbourne, and on 2 June 1622 Phillip, son of John Washbourne, were baptized Phillip died on the 7th of the same month. The Phillip who emigrated is not recorded. A blank of 30 years occurs after 1622, and, altogether, for the 17th century the records are very badly kept. John was a church warden in 1625. He was 26 years old or more at the death of his father in August 1624 when he was made executor and charged to settle the estate within six years, paying off the legacies to the other children, while he came into possession of the real estate. As John, his father, was a husbandman with considerable holdings of land and over 200 pounds worth of chattels to dispose of, with his mother dying two years later and leaving property to be looked after, he could hardly have closed up the estate and disposed of his own rights and possessions much before 1630. It seems probable that in that year or the following he emigrated to New England. The following transciption may fittingly complete the English record of the family:
"XII Aprilis, 1635 In the Elizabeth and Ann, Mr. Roger Coop bound for New England pr. cert. from the Mayor of Evesham in Co. Worcester and from the minister of the parish of their conformity -- Margery Washborn 49; John Washborne 14, Phillipp Washbourne 11, 2 sonnes."
It is not certain in what year John emigrated to New England. His father died in 1624 leaving most of his property to him as eldest son, and made him executor of his will. His mother, Martha, died the following year, and her will was proved 9 May 1620. Between this time and January 1632, he had settled up the family estate, sold out his possessions, emigrated and been living long enough in the New World to have been involved in a civil court case.
In 1629, thirty-five families arrived in Plymouth from Leyden, Holland; and in 1630 sixty more came over, while others from England, like the Winslows, and some from the Massachusetts Bay Colony, like Deacon Samuel Edson, joined the old Colony. By 1631 the crowding and livestock had so increased in Plymouth, that owners of stock were obliged to move out of the town, at first for the summer only, and later permanently. Duxbury, the first Plymouth off-shoot, began to be settled in 1632 and wa sincorporated in 1637. In 1634, John Washburn purchased from Edward Bumpus "The Eagles Nest," a palisaded homestead with lands beyond Eaglenest Creek. On 3 April 1635, his wife, Margery, and his two sons, John and Philip, received emigration certificates and permission to sail in the Elizabeth and Ann, and in due time joined John in Plymouth.
Several years later, in 1644, when the population of Duxbury was estimated at over 400, a movement began to be made toward opening up a new inland settlement in what was to be Bridgewater. John Washburn, Sr., and John, Jr., Miles Standish, John Alden, William and John Bradford, Love Brewster, Experience Mitchell, Edmond Chandler, William and John Paybody were among 54 purchasers from Massasoit of the town of Bridgewater, a tract of land extending 7 miles on each side from a certain fixed center. The Company paid for it 7 coats, 1 and 1/2 yards in a coat, 9 hatchets, 8 hoes, 20 knives, 4 moose skins and 10 & 1/2 yards cotton (cloth). The transaction was signed by Massasoit for the Natives, and by Standish, Samuel Nash, and Constance Southworth for the colonists 23 March 1649 after seven years consideration by the Colonial Court, the purchasers, and the Natives. The Washburns did not move to Bridgewater for many years; John and the two sons were registered in Duxbury in 1643 as able to bear arms, and John, Sr., as road surveyor in 1649 and 1650. They had, however, settled in Bridgewater before 1665 where John the father died between 1666 and 1670. Nothing is known about the death of his wife, Margery. The Duxbury town records and also those of the Church from their beginning until 1666 were consumed in the burning of a dwelling. A few of the first leaves of the Plymouth records were worn off and also lost, so that much early information about the colony and individuals has irretrievably perished.