Our Hawkins/Stanhouse Ancestry:Information about John Hawkins
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
John Hawkins (b. Abt. 1638, d. March 1675/76)John Hawkins (son of John Hawkins and Hester Richards) was born Abt. 1638 in Jamestown Colony, Virginia, and died March 1675/76 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.He married Mary Foster on Abt. 1660.
Notes for John Hawkins:
John is believed to have moved to Anne Arundel Co., MD in 1658.J.D. Warfield in 'Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties' says John Hawkins, through his attorney, Nicholas Wyatt, assigned unto Giles Blake one hundred acres, due him for transporting himself into the province.John Hawkins' will written 3rd Feb., 1670; Filed 17th Mar., 1676.Wife Mary, execx. and sole legatee of estate, real and personal. Jno. Teague, Thos. Hooker, Josh. Shaller.In 1675 he inherited from father-in-law - Seth Foster - 1,000 acres called 'Tulley's Delight' on the Chester River.
(note:In a family letter written by 3X great grandson, Josiah Wilson Hawkins, he states that John was born in Norfolk, England and came to America as a young man.He further states that John was one of the "heirs of the disputed estate" in England.This information has never been verified)
More About John Hawkins and Mary Foster:
Marriage: Abt. 1660
Children of John Hawkins and Mary Foster are:
- Anne Hawkins, b. Abt. 1658, Maryland, d. Bef. 1716, Baltimore County, Maryland.
- +Matthew Hawkins, b. Abt. 1660, Baltimore County, Maryland, d. April 24, 1705, Baltimore County, Maryland.
- +Augustine Hawkins, b. November 05, 1663, St. James Parish, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, d. Bef. March 1699/00.
- Elizabeth Hawkins, b. Abt. 1665, Maryland, d. date unknown.
- +Joseph Hawkins, b. Abt. 1665, Baltimore County, Maryland, d. January 13, 1725/26, Baltimore County, Maryland.
- Thomas Hawkins, b. Abt. 1670, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, d. 1715, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.