The Davis Family & Davistown, New Jersey:Information about Joseph Lockwood Davis
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Rev. Joseph Lockwood Davis (b. June 06, 1864, d. September 14, 1941)Joseph Lockwood Davis (son of Samuel S. Davis and Elizabeth Jane Hicks)601 was born June 06, 1864 in Spring Mills (Davistown), New Jersey602, 603, 604, and died September 14, 1941 in Woodbury, New Jersey605, 606.He married (1) Jessie Francis (Fremont) Brown on April 24, 1889 in Woodbury, New Jersey607, daughter of William H. Brown and Sarah Johnson.He married (2) Mary Elizabeth Ward on June 21, 1899 in Stillpond, Maryland.
Notes for Joseph Lockwood Davis:
Rev. Joseph Lockwood Davis , the son of the late Samuel and Elizabeth Davis, was born in Grenlock, New Jersey. He received his education in the public school of New Jersey, later attending the Trenton Normal School for two years. He was joined in wedlock to Miss Jessie Brown of Morrisville Pa. To them were born five children. It was during this time he was licenses a local preacher and under the pastorate of Rev. C.S. Sprigg was recommended to fill the unexpired term of the late Rev J.D.Elbert at Oxford, Maryland.
While there death rook from him his wife, who was teaching in the public schools of New Jersey. Later he met and married Miss Mary E. Ward, a wonderful Christian character, who became a devoted and faithful partner in the Christian Ministry to serve with him 'til death.
To them were born eight children. He became a member of the Delaware Conference in the year 1899, and served the following charges: Oxford, Maryland, 2 years:Delaware City, Delaware, 1 year:Wittman, Maryland, 3 years:Crumpton, Maryland, 3 years:Townsend, Delaware, 3 years:Dames Quarter, Maryland, 2 years:Parsonberg, Maryland, 6 years: Nanticoke, Maryland, 2 years: Philadelphia, Pa. (Calvary Mission) 3 years: Woodbury, New Jersey, 5 years:Swainton, New Jersey, 2 years:Ocean City, New Jersey, 3 years:St. Petersland, 4 years: Still Pond, Maryland, 1 year,5 months.
On August 30, Saturday, 10 A.M. while having a battery changed in his car, at the garage in Still Pond he, was mortally stricken with a stroke of paralysis. After he was brought home he said to his wife "Mame, send for all the children. I want to see them because I'm going home." Having preached his last sermon the Sunday before, his subject was, "Heaven is a place for the Soul". His text was, "I go to prepare a place for you,---" John 14:2.People who heard him said they have never heard him preach a more powerful sermon.Being rendered speechless by the stroke he could only say yes and no.
Saturday, September 13th, he waved his hand to his wife and the children around the bedside, Good bye: he then turned over on his side just one hour before the end, and at 4:15 A.M.Sunday September 14 he quietly stole away to be with His God forevermore. At the bedside was his wife and nearly all the children.
He leaves to mourn his departure, a wife, 11 children, R. Leroy, Viola H., Martha G. Joseph N. Mary E. S Edward, George L, J. Beatrice, Dorothy E.Earl M. and Barbara R, one brother, Andrew, 22 Grand-children, 4 great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews and other relatives and a host of friends.
In the death of Rev. J. L. Davis the wife sustains the loss of a good and kind husband, the children lose a loving and indulgent father and the Delaware Conference the loss of an able gospel preacher, a faithful pastor and a lovable Christian brother.
As copied from the annual minutes of the Delaware Conference May, 1942
More About Joseph Lockwood Davis:
Burial: September 18, 1941, Gates of Heaven Cemetary.608
More About Joseph Lockwood Davis and Jessie Francis (Fremont) Brown:
Marriage: April 24, 1889, Woodbury, New Jersey.609
Marriage Notes for Joseph Lockwood Davis and Jessie Francis (Fremont) Brown:
The couple was married by R. C. Lippencott.
More About Joseph Lockwood Davis and Mary Elizabeth Ward:
Marriage: June 21, 1899, Stillpond, Maryland.
Children of Joseph Lockwood Davis and Jessie Francis (Fremont) Brown are:
- +Randolph Leroy Davis, b. September 03, 1889, Grenlock, New Jersey610, d. January 27, 1968, Philadelphia, Pa611.
- +Viola Helena Davis, b. October 20, 1890, Grenlock, New Jersey612, 613, d. June 21, 1974, Elizabeth,New Jersey614.
- +Martha Geneva Davis, b. April 24, 1893, Grenlock, New Jersey615, d. date unknown.
- Edna Grace Davis, b. December 29, 1894, Grenlock, New Jersey615, d. date unknown.
- +Joseph Norwood Carlton Davis, b. May 29, 1897, Grenlock, New Jersey615, d. January 03, 1959, Chester,Pennsylvania.
Children of Joseph Lockwood Davis and Mary Elizabeth Ward are:
- William Lockwood Davis, b. December 07, 1900, Wittmore, Maryland615, d. 1935.
- +Mary Elizabeth Davis, b. November 10, 1903, Crumpton, Maryland615, d. 1965.
- +Samuel Edward Davis, b. December 03, 1905, Crumpton, Maryland615, d. January 01, 1993, Camden, New Jersey.
- +George Lincoln Davis, b. February 12, 1908, Townsend, Delaware615, d. January 30, 1987, Winnepeg, Manitoba.
- +Jeannett Beatrice Davis, b. December 07, 1910, Dames Quarters, Maryland615, d. August 1971, Philadelphia Pennsylania.
- +Dorothy Esther Davis, b. December 18, 1912, Parsonsberg, Maryland615, d. October 23, 1998, Camden, New Jersey.
- +Earl Cranston McCollough Davis, b. May 18, 1916, Parsonsberg, Maryland615, d. September 16, 1992, Camden,New Jersey.
- +Barbara Bernice Davis.