Kates-Thomsen Family Tree:Information about Eduard (Edward) Vilhelm Koyen
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Eduard (Edward) Vilhelm Koyen (b. 15 May 1816, d. 29 December 1896)Eduard (Edward) Vilhelm Koyen (son of Anton Frederick Koyen and Agathe Louise Wilstrup)28 was born 15 May 1816 in Kisdorf, Kaltenkerchen, Holstein, Germany29, 30, and died 29 December 1896 in Washington Island, Door Co., Wisconsin30.He married Johanne Sophie Kofoed on 4 January 1842 in Ingstrup, Hjorring, Denmark31, 32, daughter of Andreas Agerbech Madsen Kofoed and Karen Johanne Manderupsdatter Kruuse.
Notes for Eduard (Edward) Vilhelm Koyen:
Alias: Wilhelm Edward Koyen
"Edward William Koyen was a native of Germany but emigrated to Denmark to
take charge of a large estate there.He married a Danish girl, Miss
Hannah Kofoed, and they became the parents of nine children of who A. A.
was the oldest son.His education was acquired in the common schools of
his native country.
In 1871, when 27 years old, Mr. Koyen came to the U. S. and at once made
his way to Washington Island, Wisconsin.He engaged in fishing in the
employ of others for some time and later cut and dealt in cordwood.
After abandoning that business he purchases 75 acres of land on section
25, Washington Island and erected a number of buildings upon the farm.
He subsequently became identified with merchandising interests as the
owner of the Koyens Store in Washington Harbor and he also speculated in
realestate to quite an extent.He manifested unusual shrewdness and good
judgement in placing his investments and he was also successful as a
merchant, carrying a large and well selected stock and being accorded
liberal patronage. In addition to his other interests he owned the dock
at Detroit Harbor and built in Detroit Harbor, the Edith M. Koyen, which
was named in honor of his daughter.He was one of the organizers of the
telephone company in which he held stock, and in many ways his
enterprises and business insight contributed to the commercial and
industrial development of his locality." - written by unknown
Part of a letter to Sylvia Landin from Eric Greenfeldt:"Several things
which I have been working on recently are the facts about Edward William
Koyen's trip to the Unitied States.The ship that he came on was the
Holsatia which left Hamburg on April 13, 1871 for New York.Edward was
54 and Johann a 53.They were traveling with six others whom I assume to
be children." - Jean Fox
Also Known As: Wilhelm Edward Koyen
Burial: Washington Harbor Cemetery, Washington Island, Wisconsin
Occupation: Farmer, Baker
More About Eduard (Edward) Vilhelm Koyen:
Burial: Unknown, Washington Harbor Cemetery, Washington Island, Wisconsin.32
Occupation: Farmer, Baker.32
More About Eduard (Edward) Vilhelm Koyen and Johanne Sophie Kofoed:
Marriage: 4 January 1842, Ingstrup, Hjorring, Denmark.33, 34
Children of Eduard (Edward) Vilhelm Koyen and Johanne Sophie Kofoed are:
- +Emma Emelia Koyen, b. 11 March 1853, Rold, Aalborg, Jylland, Denmark34, d. 5 May 1925, Reno, Nevada34.
- Louise Agathe Koyen, b. 26 July 1842, Rold, Aalborg, Denmark, d. date unknown.
- +Andreas Agerbech Kofoed Koyen, b. 19 May 1844, Rholl, Aalborg, Denmark, d. 20 March 1917, Washington Island, DoorCo.,WI.
- Karen Johanne Koyen, b. 20 June 1846, Rold, Aalborg, Denmark, d. date unknown.
- Anton Frederick Koyen, b. 20 November 1848, Aalborg, Denmark, d. date unknown.
- Karl Edvard Koyen, b. March 1853, Denmark, d. date unknown.
- Therese Wilhelmina Koyen, b. 24 February 1855, Rold, Aalborg, Denmark, d. date unknown.
- +Ane Margrethe Cathrine Koyen, b. 19 April 1857, Rold, Aalborg, Denmark, d. 17 December 1909.
- August Verner Koyen, b. 8 August 1861, Aalborg, Denmark, d. 30 July 1941, Washington Island,Door Co., WI.