Kates-Thomsen Family Tree:Information about Catherine Hutsell
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Catherine Hutsell (b. Abt. 1775, d. Aft. 20 July 1850)Catherine Hutsell (daughter of Johannes Hutzel and Elizabeth Ann Davis) was born Abt. 1775 in Virginia, and died Aft. 20 July 1850 in Wythe, VA.She married John George Kegley, Jr. on 10 November 1791 in Montgomery, VA, son of John George Kegley, Sr. and Catherine Kockhlen.
Notes for Catherine Hutsell:
Living with son-in-law, John Irvin in 1850.
Often, in many documents, the name Hutzel was spelled three or more ways...
Some variations are Hootsill, Heitzel, Hulzel, Hetzel, Heltzel, Helzel, Hoetzel, Holtzele, Hutsill, Huzel and Jutzel.
Many of the variations are due to the penmanship of the day.( I had a history professor who made a comment once that around the time of the Revolutionary War, if a man could not spell his name at least 3 different ways, he was considered ignorant)
Hutzel (with 2 dots over the Z and pronounced Hootzel ) was the German spelling, although many families changed it to Hutsell, an English version as early as the late 1700s.Some families still carry the spelling of Hutzel today.
A few years back, I was in Pennsylvania on a business trip and I opened the telephone book and it had
more Hutzells than it had Hutsells.
My Great Grandfather entered the Civil war on October 26, 1864 at Carlyle, Pennsylvania as Josiah E Hutzellbut his veteran's documents of April 11, 1921 identify him as Josiah E Hutsell aka Josiah E Hutzell so somewhere between 1864 and 1921 I became a HUTSELL....
HUTZEL in it's definition means dried fruit, especially wild pear, shriveled and wrinkled.It is therefore assumed that the Hutzel family originally made their living by drying fruit or pears and their name was derived from their occupation in the same way that the village blacksmith became the family name SMITH.
-From Darold Hutsell 3/2003
More About Catherine Hutsell and John George Kegley, Jr.:
Marriage: 10 November 1791, Montgomery, VA.
Children of Catherine Hutsell and John George Kegley, Jr. are:
- Rebecca Kegley, b. Abt. 1790, d. date unknown.
- Susannah Kegley, d. date unknown.
- John Kegley, b. Abt. 1792, Wythe Co., VA, d. 1858, Smyth, VA.
- George Washington Kegley, b. Abt. 1793, Wythe Co., VA, d. Aft. 1850, VA.
- Jacob Cagley, b. Bet. 1800 - 1810, d. date unknown.
- +Lewis Cagley, b. 27 January 1802, Wythe, VA, d. Aft. 1861, TN.
- Barbara Ann Kegley, b. Abt. 1809, Wythe Co., VA, d. Abt. 1851, Wythe Co., VA.
- Solomon Kegley, b. Abt. 1811, Wythe Co., VA, d. 21 October 1853, Wythe Co., VA.
- Joseph Cagley, b. Abt. 1813, d. date unknown.
- Mary M. Kegley, b. 14 August 1815, d. date unknown.
- Elizabeth Kegley, b. 11 May 1820, d. date unknown.
- Ann Kegley, b. Abt. 1824, d. date unknown.
- Polly Catherine Kegley, d. date unknown.