Kates-Thomsen Family Tree:Information about Peter Mensch
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Peter Mensch (b. 6 May 1763, d. Abt. 28 August 1805)Peter Mensch (son of Johann Adam Mensch and Barbara Kerns)47 was born 6 May 1763 in Pittsgrove Twp., Salem Co., NJ, and died Abt. 28 August 1805 in Hopewell.He married Christianna Miller on 6 June 1784, daughter of Michael Miller and Margaretha.
Notes for Peter Mensch:
Peter Mensch, the third child of Adam and Barbara Mensch, was born May 6, 1763, probably in Pittsgrove Twp., Salem County.He was baptized on August 7, 1763(1) by Rev. Henry Muhlenberg.In his journal, Rev. Muhlenberg recorded the following account of that day:
A large crowd gradually assembled from far and wide.I recorded those who desired to commune.After the crowd had gathered in and around the church, I became very much concerned as to how I was going to baptize the children who had been registered for baptism, for there were twenty-two children to baptize and the church was so crowded that there was hardly any room left for me.The twenty-two children were crying so loudly that the noise was wretched.After I had baptized all of them and dismissed them in peace, the mothers hurried out with them in the open air; others crowded in and we went on with the service(2).
At his father's death, Peter inherited the home plantation in Hopewell Twp. which had been bought from Israel Pemberton(3).He lived out the rest of his life there, passing it on to his son, David.
Peter Mensch (Minch) died intestate August 27(4) or 28(5), 1805 probably at his home in Hopewell.Christianna was appointed administratrix of his estate.An inventory totaling $2,971.70 was made by Henry Shriner and Daniel Moore(6).
Peter and Christianna Mensch are both buried in the Emanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery, Friesburg, where their tombstones can still be seen today.
(1) "Baptism Record of Peter Mensch," Ibid., p. 9 1/2.
(2) Theodore G. Tappert and John W. Doberstein, trans. and ed., "The Notebook of Colonial Clergymen", condensed from the journals of Henry Muhlenberg, p. 87.
(3) "Adam Minch's Will."
(4) "Tombstone of Peter Mensch,"Salem County Cemeteries, p. 24.
(5) "Death Record of Peter Mensch," Bible, "My History" Vol. XV p. 278.This gives Peter's parents as Adam and Barbara, as well as the date of his death.
(6) "Administration and inventory of Peter Minch's Estate," Elmer T. Hutchinson, ed.,Documents Relating to the Colonial, Revolutionary, and Post-Revolutionary History of the State of NJ, calendar of NJ wills, administrations, etc., Vol. X 1801-1805. p.311.
More About Peter Mensch:
Baptism: 7 August 1763, By Rev. Henry Muhlenberg.
Burial: Unknown, Emanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery, Friesburg.
Confirmation: 25 September 1779, at Emanuel Lutheran Church by Rev. J. Christian Kunze of Philadelphia.
More About Peter Mensch and Christianna Miller:
Marriage: 6 June 1784
Children of Peter Mensch and Christianna Miller are:
- Susanna Minch, b. 28 March 1785, Hopewell Twp., NJ, d. date unknown.
- Daniel Minch, b. 10 December 1788, Hopewell Twp., NJ, d. date unknown.
- +Lydia Minch, b. 22 January 1793, Hopewell Twp., NJ, d. 21 August 1841.
- +David Minch, b. 13 November 1795, d. 13 December 1871, Hopewell Twp., NJ.
- +Nancy (Anna) Minch, b. 21 August 1799, d. February 1882, Hopewell Twp., NJ.
- +Rebecca Minch, b. 19 October 1801, Hopewell Twp., NJ, d. July 1832.
- Peter Minch, b. 9 March 1805, Hopewell Twp., NJ, d. date unknown.