Kates-Thomsen Family Tree:Information about Andreas (Andrew) Mensch
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Andreas (Andrew) Mensch (b. 9 April 1756, d. 23 January 1823)Andreas (Andrew) Mensch (son of Johann Adam Mensch and Barbara Kerns)45 was born 9 April 1756 in Pittsgrove Twp., Salem Co., NJ, and died 23 January 1823 in at home near Friesburg, NJ.He married (1) Mary Kiger.He married (2) Catherine Soule on 6 May 1788.
Notes for Andreas (Andrew) Mensch:
During the Revolutionary War Andrew Mensch served with the British forces in Canada.Adam Minch (1811-1890) wrote the following account of his service:
About 1776 Richard Cayford, a British officer, induced three young men of this community to join the British Army stationed in Canada (Nova Scotia).Andrew Minch was a captain of a company "that did no fighting."He returned home after peace was declared but the patriots would not allow him to stay at home, they being very angry.Then he went to Friesburg, Salem Co., and settled there(1).
In the will of his father, Adam Mensch, Andrew inherited L100.00; it was also declared that Peter would pay his brother L150, and Benjamin would pay his brother L20(2).Unlike the other sons, Andrew was left no land.
Capt. Andrew Mensch died January 23, 1823(3) at his home near Friesburg(4).He is buried with his first wife in the Emanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery, Friesburg.He left a will dated January 22, 1823 and proved February 6, 1823(5).His widow Mary, to whom he left "all goods she brought at marriage, a black cow and her calf, bedding, and $30.00 yearly during her widowhood(6)," wrote her will August 7, 1829.
(1) Clement, "An Account of the Minch Family," p. 281
(2) "Will of Adam Minch."
(3) "Tombstone of Andrew Mensch," Salem County Cemeteries, p. 29.
(4) "Interview with Adam Minch," p. 78
(5) "Will of Andrew Minch, abstract," H. Stanley Craig, abstr., Salem County Wills Recorded in the Office of the Surrogate at Salem, NJ, 1804-1830 pp. 110-111.
Source for Notes of Andreas (Andrew) Mensch:The Descendants of Adam Mensch by Suzanne Nurnberg
More About Andreas (Andrew) Mensch:
Baptism: 20 June 1756, at Emanuel Lutheran Church by Rev. Johann Friederich Handshuch.
Burial: Unknown, Emanuel Lutheran Church Cemetery, Friesburg.
More About Andreas (Andrew) Mensch and Catherine Soule:
Marriage: 6 May 1788
Children of Andreas (Andrew) Mensch and Catherine Soule are:
- +Adam Mensch, b. 25 January 1789, near Friesburg, Upper Alloways Creek Twp., NJ, d. date unknown.
- +Christianna Mensch, b. 12 February 1790, near Friesburg, NJ, d. 14 November 1851.
- Benjamin Mensch, b. 7 December 1792, near Friesburg, NJ, d. date unknown.
- +Susanna Mensch, b. 21 November 1794, near Friesburg, NJ, d. 29 June 1875.
- +Andrew Mensch, b. 28 August 1797, near Friesburg, NJ, d. Abt. 14 February 1824, Alloways Twp..
- Joseph Mensch, b. 29 October 1800, near Friesburg, NJ, d. 14 September 1822, Salem County, NJ.