GERROND:Information about William Edward Cromartie
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
William Edward Cromartie (b. 14 Mar 1841, d. 06 May 1926)
|Wm. E. Cromartie|
William Edward Cromartie (son of John Cromartie and Catherine Park) was born 14 Mar 1841 in Fort Severn, Manitoba,3, and died 06 May 19263.He married Mary Ann Hourie on 11 Dec 1862 in St. Andrew's Parish,Winnipeg, Manitoba, daughter of George Hourie and Ellen Cook.
Notes for William Edward Cromartie:
William Edward and Mary Ann (Hourie) Cromarty
John William Cromarty came from Scotland to work for the Hudson's Bay Company.John W. and his wife Elizabeth became parents to John Cromarty (1772-1847) who married Catherine Park (1821) of York Factory. Their children were William, George, Magnus and Samuel and likely all born at St. Andrews Parish (Winnipeg).
On December 11, 1862 William E. married Mary Ann Hourie (September 15, 1846).She was the daughter of George and Ellen(Cook) Hourie of York Factory.The Cromartys, Houries and Cooks were all Hudson Bay servants.
William E. worked for the Hudson's Bay Co.In the 1870's, Cromartys began to turn their thoughts to raising their family in a permanent settlement.
In a colonization treck of 1878, Cromartys and others came to Halcro Settlement with friends and relatives.In the summer of 1878, Cromarty built a 24'x16' log house worth $200.00,fenced 60 acres - $60.00, built two stables, and one granary on River Lot 18-46-26W2.
In the late 1880's Cromartys moved to River Lot 30-46-26W2 and made the necessary homestead improvements.(Later Senator Thomas Osborne Davis bought this land.)
Sworn statement in supportof Land Ptents for Cromarty are signed by:William Halcro of Lot 22-46-26W2.Benjamin Cook of Lot 34-46-26W2.David McNabb of Lot 25-46-26W2.Adolphus Dubray of Lot 40-46-26W2, all of the Halcro Settlement.
In 1902 the Cromartys came toSE 18-46-24W2 in the Harperview S.C.315.Near the creek that became Cromarty Creek, he built an 18x17 and 14x14 log house - $500.00, two stables and a granary. At first this yardsite stood amidst a poplar grove.
In the early days during spring breakup, the creek rose very high.It could be crossed only by fording it.One party with a wagon and box on it was crossing the creek but the water was so high that the box separated from the wagon and floated away.This creek was Cromartys water source for the house and livestock.Through the years the brush was cleared and later on the out buildings disappeared from the yard.But, as for thehouse, a very strongwind came and it finally collapsed.This silent tribute to many long years of labourby an early pioneer settler was now gone.
In 1913 Mary Ann died at 67, and was buried at the St. Saviours Cemetery.Being very lonely, William went with horse and buggy to his sons and daughters, spending time with each household.His last years were spent with Mary Jane and William Bird.He died on May 6, 1926 at 85,and was buried at St. Saviours Cemetery.
NOTE: Place of birth also indicated as "Red River Settlement, Rupertsland,. Canada..
Informaion obtained from a Family tree site. Submitter: firstname.lastname@example.org
More About William Edward Cromartie:
Fact 1: Bet. 1858 - 1862, Labourer, Hudson Bay Company.
Fact 2: 1862, To Red River Settlement.
More About William Edward Cromartie and Mary Ann Hourie:
Marriage: 11 Dec 1862, St. Andrew's Parish,Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Children of William Edward Cromartie and Mary Ann Hourie are:
- Ellen Cromartie, b. 11 Oct 18633, d. 1922.
- Margaret Anne Cromartie, b. 08 Jun 18653, d. 1953.
- +William George Cromartie, b. 06 Mar 1867, Poplar Point, Manitoba3, d. 1942.
- Roderick James Cromartie, b. 05 Oct 18683, d. 26 Jun 18693.
- +John Robert Cromartie, b. 23 Mar 1870, Poplar Point, Manitoba3, d. 04 Dec 1928.
- +Samuel Cromarty, b. 23 Mar 1870, Parkdale Kilden Hosp.Prince Albert, Sask3, d. 04 Feb 1942, St Savious Cem. Birch Hills, Sask.
- Magnus Cromartie, b. 11 May 18723, d. 04 Sep 1873.
- Phillip Archibald Cromartie, b. 16 May 18743, d. 01 Feb 19103.
- Mary Jane Cromartie, b. 28 Jan 18763, d. 1956.
- Catherine E. Cromartie, b. 21 Mar 18783, d. 12 Jul 18783.
- Caroline Francis Cromartie, b. 20 Apr 18793, d. 1963.
- Joseph C. Cromartie, b. 06 Mar 1881, d. 25 Apr 19003.
- Alexander Jeremiah Cromartie, b. 07 Jun 18833, d. 28 Jun 18833.
- Peter Andrew Dominic Cromartie, b. 22 Nov 18843, d. 26 Apr 1917, Died in France3.
- Letitia Harriet Cromartie, b. 24 Jul 18863, d. 23 Aug 18863.
- Albert Edward Cromartie, b. 09 Oct 18873, d. 1956.
- Jemima Victoria Cromartie, b. 26 Jul 18893, d. 1947.