North Family:Information about Henry Ballard North
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Colonel Henry Ballard North (b. October 30, 1825, d. January 19, 1911)Henry Ballard North (son of Henry T. North and Mariah Holmes) was born October 30, 1825 in Warsaw, Kentucky, and died January 19, 1911 in Hume, Howard Twp., Bates County, Missouri.He married Elizabeth Rogers on September 28, 1848 in Franklin County, Kentucky, daughter of Tunstel Rogers and Unknown Spouse.
Notes for Henry Ballard North:
Per a letter from Russell North 12-14-1943.The North Home is outside of Louisville, KY, 15 miles, on Bards Town Road near Shepherdsville, the county seat of Bullitt County.There was a family tree traced down for the DAR Membership.The letter talks of slave quarters on the old homestead.Between 1846 and 1848, Henry faught in the Mexican War attaining the rank of Colonel.
The 1870 Census indicates the family residing in Shepherdsville District, Bullitt County, KY. Mt. Video Post Office (no longer exists) However, most of the children's birth records indicate they were born in Brooks which is about five miles north of Shepherdsville.Most likely the North Homestead was located somewhere between the two towns.Today both towns are easily accessed from I-65 about 20 miles south of Louisville.Also the 1870 census indicates that besides wife Elizabeth, there were the following children:Rosa Lee, Roberta, Bettie, Constance, Henry, Christ, Walter and Infant.Mary North, Henry's sister (age 48) was living on the Rogers farm next to the North reidence and was listed as a domestic servant.The Rogers homestead was substantially larger and had a real property value of nearly $5000.In addition, the personal property value was almost $4000.The Rogers farm was owned and operated by Lewis and John T. Rogers, brothers to Henry North's wife, Elizabeth.Since the North's did not show owning either real or personal property, it might be assumed that they were either renting or were given some of the land by the Rogers family.John Rogers was married to a girl named Susan and they had a young daughter, Lilly, age 3.Lewis was single but indicated he was half owner of the farm.(Henry and Elizabeth North named their youngest son after Lewis)Also residing at the Rogers Homestead was a black family consisting of Martha Werne, (age 21) and her three children; Mattie age 7, John age 3, and Emma age 4 months.Although the word "slave" is not used on the census report, it is most likely Martha was a servant to the Rogers family.The North family also had a black woman listed in their household;Ann Cotten (age 24) and her son Jacob (age 7).Another black boy, Robert Hayes (age 12), was living on the North farm but no information about where he came from or who he was related to.According to the census, some of the North children and all of the blackshad no formal education and did not have the ability to read or write.
In 1900, Colonel Henry North was residing in Hume, Howard Twp., Bates County, Missouri.(Hume is located about 60 miles south of Kansas City right on the Missouri-Kansas border).After the death of his wife, in 1890, he most likely left the Kentucky to live with his son Edwin (some records indicate Edward).Edward was a shoemaker by trade who was 28 at that time and was not married.Also living in the houshold was his sister Rosa Lee, brother Clay (Christopher Clay) and two of Henry's granddaughters;Eloise Terry (age 21) and Norma Leslie Terry (age 19).They were the children of Roberta North and James Terry.Roberta had died ten years prior.
More About Henry Ballard North and Elizabeth Rogers:
Marriage: September 28, 1848, Franklin County, Kentucky.
Children of Henry Ballard North and Elizabeth Rogers are:
- John Henry North, b. November 01, 1849, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. December 16, 1852, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky(died young).
- Rosa Lee North, b. February 18, 1850, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. January 11, 1908, Hume, Missouri.
- +Roberta J. North, b. April 25, 1853, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. April 06, 1889, Hume, Howard Twp., Bates County, Missouri.
- +Bettie E. North, b. August 29, 1856, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. Aft. 1930, Indiana.
- +Costantine North, b. January 21, 1857, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. date unknown.
- Henry B. Jr. North, b. May 23, 1860, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. August 17, 1886, Hume, Missouri.
- Christopher Clay North, b. October 22, 1862, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. November 03, 1917.
- +Walter Brooks North, b. April 22, 1864, Shepherdsville, Bullitt, Kentucky, d. November 20, 1898, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
- Mary North, b. December 15, 1866, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky, d. December 03, 1867, Brooks, Bullitt County, Kentucky(died young).
- Edwin E. North, b. April 23, 1870, d. date unknown.
- Lewis Rodgers North, b. April 19, 1873, d. date unknown.