My Genealogy Home Page:Information about John Cowan
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Sir John Cowan (b. 12 Dec 1844, d. 07 Feb 1929)John Cowan (son of John Cowan and Margaret Marshall) was born 12 Dec 1844 in Atlantic Ocean (off coast of Jamaica), and died 07 Feb 1929 in 6 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh.He married Marion Dickson Wallace on 18 Sep 1872 in Hawthorn Bank, Dunfermline, daughter of Andrew Wallace and Elizabeth Johnston.
Notes for John Cowan:
Born on mission ship returning to Jamaica in 1845. Birth
probably registered in Jamaica. On census recorded as "British Citizen",
place of birth, Atlantic Ocean.
From Edinburgh Street Directory 1870 -71
Cowan, Sir John, Dl. LLD, Iron & Steel Merchant, 2 St Andrew's Square, Edinburgh, who resided at 6 Salisbury Road, there died 7th February 1929 at Edinburgh testate.
Confirmation Edinburgh 28th June to Marion Dickson, Lady Cowan, ^ Salisbury Rd, aforesaid his widow and Andrew Wallace Cowan, Muirhouse, Davidson's, Midlothian
Joined firm of Redpath Brown as an apprentice in 1860. Lived
with uncle, James Marshall at 15 Regent Terrace from 1865. Knighted
in 1915 as Chairman of Redpath Brown. Received honorary degree
from Edinburgh University (Dr of Letters). Master of Merchant
Company in early 1900's.
Extract from "The People of Carlton Hill"
A young man who lived with his uncle, James Marshall, at 15, Regent Terrace, from 1865, was John Cowan, whose place of birth was given in the 1871 Census as Atlantic Ocean: his father was a missionary in Jamaica. At the age of 26 he was an iron merchant and already an employer of 26 boys and 30 men. He went on to become chairman of Redpath Brown & Co. He was knighted in 1915.
Two incidents illustrated that Sir John was much loved by his employees. In 1906 he stood for Edinburgh Town Council, and some groundless aspersions were cast on his character: his workers showed their support for him by marching 4 abreast through the streets of Edinburgh with a band at their head. In 1920 five hundred of his workers invited Sir John and Lady Cowan to a dinner to commemorate the diamond jubilee of his connection with the firm. The menu was good plain fare and included tomato soup, fried fillet of haddock with anchovy sauce, beefsteak pie and plum pudding.
Cowan, Sir John, of 6, Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, died 7th February, 1929. Confirmation of Marion Dickson, Lady Cowan, widow, Andrew Wallace Cowan, John Alexander Cowan, George Middleton Cowan and Robert Walker Wallace and James Falconer, writer to the Signet. Sealed London 20th July.
Dear Mr Cowan
From the minutes of the Manchuria Council I find you have been appointed a Representative Elder at the General Assembly. If you are able to accept office kindly have the enclosed form filled up and returned to me.
Present at death of uncle, James Marshall, May 4 1873
Present at death of mother, Margaret Cowan, April 18 1886
Cowan, Sir John D.L. LLD, Iron & Steel Merchant, 2 St Andrew Square, EDINBURGH, who resided at 6 Salisbury Road, there died 7th February 1929 at Edinburgh testate.
Confirmation Edinburgh 28th June to Marion Dickson, Lady Cowan, 6, Salisbury Road aforesaid, his widow, and Andrew Wallace Cowan, Muirhead, Davidsons Mains, Midlothian.
More About John Cowan:
Business Name: Redpath Brown & Co.
Occupation: Iron Merchant.
Residence (business): Bet. 1870 - 1871, 67 Great King Street.
More About John Cowan and Marion Dickson Wallace:
Marriage: 18 Sep 1872, Hawthorn Bank, Dunfermline.
Marriage Notes for John Cowan and Marion Dickson Wallace:
Married 18th Sept 1872 in Hawthorn Bank, Dunfermline. Father
of 9 children, including Margaret Marshall (Daisy) who was my
grandmother, & mother of my father.
Children of John Cowan and Marion Dickson Wallace are:
- +James Marshall Cowan, b. 22 Jun 1873, 28 Nelson Street, Edinburgh, d. date unknown.
- Elizabeth Gertrude Cowan, b. 19 Jan 1875, 28 Nelson Street, Edinburgh, d. date unknown.
- +Margaret Marshall Cowan, b. 01 Mar 1876, 28 Nelson Street, Edinburgh, d. 12 Oct 1959, 6, Dick Place, Edinburgh.
- +Andrew Wallace Cowan, b. 07 Mar 1877, 28 Nelson Street, Edinburgh, d. date unknown.
- John Alexander Cowan, b. 19 Apr 1878, 28 Nelson Street, Edinburgh, d. date unknown.
- Agnes Marshall Cowan, b. 19 Apr 1880, 6 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, d. 22 May 1940, Cambridge.
- +Mary Cowan, b. 08 Dec 1883, 6 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, d. 09 Oct 1961.
- Alice Marion Cowan, b. 03 Aug 1886, 6 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, d. date unknown.
- Jessie Helen Cowan, b. 16 Feb 1888, 6 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, d. date unknown.
- George Middleton Cowan, b. 20 Apr 1891, 6 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, d. 15 May 1952, London.
- William Morison Cowan, b. 07 Nov 1895, 6 Salisbury Road, Edinburgh, d. 08 Jul 1919, 6 Salisbury Rd, Edinburgh.