My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Rebecca or Sarah Stratton
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Rebecca or Sarah Stratton (b. Abt. 1646, d. Abt. 1669)Rebecca or Sarah Stratton (daughter of John Stratton and Sarah Bancroft) was born Abt. 1646 in East Hampton, Long Island, Suffolk Co., NY, and died Abt. 1669 in East Hampton, Long Island, Suffolk Co., NY.She married Stephen Hand, son of John Hand and Alice Gransden.
Notes for Rebecca or Sarah Stratton:
1. Re: Stephen Hand I “Under the Microscope”
Posted by: "Virginia Marthinez" email@example.com ginnynumbertwo
Date: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:45 pm (PDT)
If you look through familys, you will find alot of men married woman much younger than themselves.This is for many reasons, these women are not the original wife,woman his age may be dead as so many died in childbirth, a younger woman could provide more children, and be around longer for children he already has, maybe there were no younger men around for these woman.Or, older man is better situated.
nesyob95765 wrote:Stephen Hand I "Under the Microscope"
It is difficult to out your research out for others, then, ask for their review. Despite the factthat one feels comfortable with their work, it always needs an outside opinion. Thanks toHand Cousins, I am getting that needed review and input.
1. History of East Hampton Hedges, Henry P. – Genealogies – The Hand Family compiled byClifford A. Hand of New York City Pages 285 – 289.Stephen Hand is identified as Stephen2. "Stephen Hand was named in the Indian deed of E. Hampton in 1660. He d. April 15,1694, leaving a will dated May 17, 1688 and therein named his w. Rebecca and sonsStephen 3, Joseph 3 and Samuel 3 and 5 daus."
2. More Yeoman Ancestors Hand, Scisson and Scott page 4 repeats the above information.
The book goes on to state: "In the will of Sarah Stratton's father John, identified two sonsof Stephen".In the recording of children, no parent is identified with each of the sons anddaughters.
3. I have a copy of John Stratton's will 1684. It mentions his all of his daughters butHannah; however, she is alive and he mentions her husband Stephen Hedges. The will alsomentions his three grandsons: Stephen and Joseph Hand and Stephen Hedges.
I have many hours of going though what documents I have, I have come to the conclusionthat Samuel Hand is the son of Rebecca Bushnell Hand and Stephen Hand.
If the daughter Sarah is the daughter of Sarah Bancroft Stratton Hand and Stephen, shemost likely was born on or about the death date of her mother. The death date of SarahBancroft Stratton Hand is derived from the marriage date of Stephen Hand and RebeccaBushnell's 1670 wedding.
"IF" Sarah is the daughter of Sarah and Stephen Hand, why did Thomas Howell [herhusband] marry [bef 1704] a woman some fourteen years younger than himself?Giventhis data, it would appear that the daughter Sarah Hand is the daughter of RebeccaBushnell Hand and Stephen Hand.
BettyLou Hand Boysen
Children of Rebecca or Sarah Stratton and Stephen Hand are:
- +Samuel Hand, b. Abt. 1672, East Hampton, Long Island, Suffolk Co., NY167, d. 1735, East Hampton, Long Island, Suffolk Co., NY168.
- Stephen Hand, d. date unknown.
- Johnathan Hand, d. date unknown.