The Middletons:Information about Austin Arthur Gower
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Austin Arthur Gower (b. 1892, d. 05 Sep 1916)
|Austin Arthur Gower|
Austin Arthur Gower (son of Robert Edward Gower) was born 1892 in Wortwell, Norfolk, England, and died 05 Sep 1916 in Battle of Loos WW1.
Notes for Austin Arthur Gower:
Austin died at the battle of Loos on the Somme on 15/09/1916. He was 24.
He was a Lance Corporal in the 9th Battalion of the Norfolk regiment.
His service number was 14441.
His name is inscribed on Pier and Face 1 C and 1 D of the Thiepval Memorial in France. The Thiepval Memorial can be found on the D73, off the main Bapaume to Albert road (D929). Each year a major ceremony is held at the memorial on 1 July.
His name is also inscribed on the roll of honour of the Harlestone War Memorial
On 1 July 1916, supported by a French attack to the south, thirteen divisions of Commonwealth forces launched an offensive on a line from north of Gommecourt to Maricourt. Despite a preliminary bombardment lasting seven days, the German defences were barely touched and the attack met unexpectedly fierce resistance. Losses were catastrophic and with only minimal advances on the southern flank, the initial attack was a failure. In the following weeks, huge resources of manpower and equipment were deployed in an attempt to exploit the modest successes of the first day. However, the German Army resisted tenaciously and repeated attacks and counter attacks meant a major battle for every village, copse and farmhouse gained. At the end of September, Thiepval was finally captured. The village had been an original objective of 1 July. Attacks north and east continued throughout October and into November in increasingly difficult weather conditions. The Battle of the Somme finally ended on 18 November with the onset of winter. In the spring of 1917, the German forces fell back to their newly prepared defences, the Hindenburg Line, and there were no further significant engagements in the Somme sector until the Germans mounted their major offensive in March 1918. The Thiepval Memorial, the Memorial to the Missing of the Somme, bears the names of more than 72,000 officers and men of the United Kingdom and South African forces who died in the Somme sector before 20 March 1918 and have no known grave. Over 90% of those commemorated died between July and November 1916. The memorial also serves as an Anglo-French Battle Memorial in recognition of the joint nature of the 1916 offensive and a small cemetery containing equal numbers of Commonwealth and French graves lies at the foot of the memorial. The memorial, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, was built between 1928 and 1932 and unveiled by the Prince of Wales, in the presence of the President of France, on 31 July 1932. The dead of other Commonwealth countries who died on the Somme and have no known graves are commemorated on national memorials elsewhere.