In The Valley Of My Ancestors-Bygone Days In Ashover Dbys.Updated December 18, 2001
The main lines of research that I am persuing are my maternal grandparents,the Woods who originate from the Staffordshire
moorland,and the Hopkinsons of Ashover in the Amber Valley,
Derbyshire.Other associated names in Ashover are Bunting,Smedley,
Bower,Berresford,Wilson,Wileman or Wildman.
Also included on this site are various census and parish register items that I have accumulated during my research,mainly in north Derbyshire.
I also offer a photographic service for those researching in
Derbyshire but who, for various rasons cannot visit the county.I
will take a reel of film of any houses,farms,churches,monumental
inscriptions and villages etc.for an agreed fee to cover my
expenses for petrol,film etc.Please e-mail me for further information.
- Nicola,Adele & Lee Mills (117 KB)
Three of the authors children
- John Mills (92 KB)
This is a photo of the author,John Mills,taken about 1950.He was born on the 5th March 1949 atQuarry Lane,Alton,Ashover,his parents being George& Winifred May Mills(nee Wood).
- George & Winifred Mills (80 KB)
George & Winifred (nee Wood)on their wedding day.
- Kerry Che Mills (81 KB)
The authors youngest son.
- Lucy Honor & Winifred May Wood (115 KB)
Sisters Lucy & Winifred Wood of Quarry Lane,Altonpre-1920
- Ashover School 1922 (39 KB)
Ashover school pupils of 1922.My mother is Winnie Wood.
- Unknown Derbyshire Soldier (110 KB)
If anyone can give me any information about thissoldier please e-mail me.
- Nicola Jayne Mills (193 KB)
The authors daughter Nicola Jayne Mills early 1970
- Appletree Knoll Farm (8 KB)
Appletree Knoll Farm and summary of the murder of James Simpson.
- Mary Hopkinson (nee Bunting (196 KB)
Obituary notice of Mary 1832-1917
- Three Generations (74 KB)
Winifred May Mills with daughter-in-law Georgina& granddaughter Nicola Jayne.
- Goss Hall (181 KB)
Hopkinsons farmed here throughout the 19th cenury.
- Edward & Ann Hopkinson (nee Sellors) (337 KB)
At their wedding in 1862.Edward,1840-1878,waskilled whilst working on Riber Castle,Matlock.They lived at Goss Hall,Ashover.
- Isaac Wood (169 KB)
Isaac Wood of Quarry Lane,Alton on his way to work
- James & Jane Wood of Bleak House (31 KB)
James was born at Moss House,Fernilee,Nr.Buxton in1885 and died Ashover 1974.Jane died 1968.
- James William & Honor Wood (143 KB)
James & Honor outside Roche House
- Outside Leonard Wheatcroft Cottage (58 KB)
Winifred Mills with sister Barbara Bell,nephewTrevor & and son John in background.
- Barbara Wood & Nephews (104 KB)
David Mills,Sydney Wood & Michael Mills with aunt,Barbara Wood.
- Isaac & Sarah Ann Wood (nee Hopkinson) (86 KB)
Isaac & Sarah Wood on Quarry Lane,Alton.
- Alfred Cupit 1902-1997 (1 KB)
Alfred Cupit born 1902 at Woolley Moor,lived formany years at Alton and died 1997.
- John Mills & Grandaunt Hannah Hopkinson (49 KB)
John having fun at the seaside,with grandauntHannah looking on.
- Sidney Arthur Wood (57 KB)
PTE.Sidney Arthur Wood,of the 2nd SherwoodForesters,killed in action May 28th 1917 aged 23yrs.
- Clay Cross School Trip to Switzerland 1962 (20 KB)
Clay Cross senior boys school trip to Switzerland1962,with woodwork teacher "Waxo Johnson"on left,"Pelican" Turner back centre and "Tich" Hoggardon right.Also in the photo is "Waxos" wife.
- Winifred & Fred Wood (39 KB)
Winifred May & Frederick Sydney Wood - 1920s.
- David & Tracey Mills (240 KB)
The authors brother David and niece Tracey at herwedding.
- Jesse Walters & Winifred May Wood 1930s. (10 KB)
Winnie and friend Jesse Walters both of Alton.
- David & Michael Mills (65 KB)
David & Michael during world war 2.
- Cross from which Clay Cross derived its name. (17 KB)
Base of the ancient preaching cross from which Clay Cross derived its name.