The Pace,Summey, Henson, Humphries,Center Families of SC:Information about Burrell Richard Pace III
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Burrell Richard Pace III (b. November 30, 1808)Burrell Richard Pace III (son of Cornelius Pace and Sarah Royal) was born November 30, 1808.He married Caroline Hipp.
Notes for Burrell Richard Pace III:
Burrel Pace III ( Burwell, Burl) married Caroline Hipps from Henderson County, NC. They had eight sons and five daughters and were living in Henderson County in the 1850 when the census was taken. He was a farmer.
Burrel owned 1300 acres of land and in keeping with Pace tradition, he gave each of his 13 children a portion of his land for a home. He purchased the land for 10 cents an acre. Several acres lay between his and his neighbor, Richard Metcalf, but neither Pace nor Metcalf would purchase it because they felt it was not worth 10 cents an acre.
He had fields of wheat, rye and other grain all over country in his day. He called in his neighbors from all over the mountains to help cut the grain with hand cradles. One day he stopped the whole crowd to look for a valuable button he lost off his shirt. When they found it he said, "If the wife, Caroline, had sewed this button on, it would not have come off." Evidently one of the 5 girls had sewn it on.
Their daughter, Elizabeth, was heard to say in later life, "My mama was the best weaver in the Western North Carolina Mountains. She wove beautiful coverlets, dyed her wool with dye made from barks, herbs, and berries gathered in the mountains. She had her sheep, spun her thread and wove cloth of all kinds of fancy patterns."
More About Burrell Richard Pace III:
Burial: Old Mountain Page Cemetery, Saluda, N.C..
Children of Burrell Richard Pace III and Caroline Hipp are:
- +Leander Pace, b. December 29, 1831, d. May 27, 1863, the Civil War in Clinton , Tennessee.
- +James W. Pace, b. 1832, d. 1910.
- Martha Pace, b. April 12, 1837.
- Govan Pace, b. 1840, d. March 29, 1863, Stanton, VA. of disease.
- Jordon Pace, b. February 11, 1840, d. January 17, 1863, Richmond, VA. of Typhoid Pneumonia.
- Harriett Pace, b. July 27, 1841, d. November 08, 1907.
- Mary Elizabeth Pace, b. July 02, 1843, d. December 22, 1924.
- +John Burrell Pace, b. December 10, 1844, d. April 25, 1909, Henderson Co., NC..
- Tempy Pace, b. May 04, 1846.
- William Decter Pace, b. September 07, 1847.
- +David Decatur Pace, b. May 19, 1850, d. September 02, 1930.
- Henry Hazard Pace, b. July 08, 1852, d. September 18, 1914.
- Levi "Hansel" Pace, b. July 08, 1852.
- Pamellia Jane Pace, b. July 05, 1853, d. September 04, 1943.