The Tom and Brenda Parry Family:Information about Abraham Monnett
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Abraham Monnett (b. March 16, 1747/48, d. December 07, 1810)Abraham Monnett (son of Issac Monnett and Elizabeth Osborne) was born March 16, 1747/48, and died December 07, 1810 in Ohio, Ross Co.,.He married Ann Hillary on 1772 in Calvert County, MD, daughter of William Hillary and Margaret Crabb.
Notes for Abraham Monnett:
Abraham lived in Fredrick County, Maryland.He served in the American Revolution in Colonal Beatty's battalion and according to an article on "The Life of Thomas Jefferson" in the Maryland Historical Magazine on Christmas morning in 1776, witnessed the Commander-in-Chief, George Washington, inaugurating his attack with utmost caution.And likewise General Johnson was preparing to speed his recruits to the aid of Washington. Thomas Jefferson, aroused by the critical situation along the Delaware, yearned for the command of the Flying Camp.He did not covet military honors, but he felt personally responsible for the speedy arrival of the Maryland boys in the camp of General Washington.In 1790 moved to Hampshire County, (West) Virginia. That part of Hampshire County later became Mineral County.
In the mid 50's, J. William Hunt, in his "Across the Desk" article in the Cumberland Times, featured the Monnett House, built a century and a half before of bricks imported from England. The historical house was across the Potomac River from Cumberland, Maryland, near North Branch, or about five or six miles southeast of Cumberland. Many people have seen the house in passing on the B & O Railroad and on the old C & O Canal.
The first member of the Monnett family to settle in this area was Abraham, born in 1748 in Calvert County, later a resident of Frederick County and a soldier in the Revolutionary War.Soon, after the war he settled in Hampshire County, in that part that is now Mineral County.On 27 February, 1792, Abraham Monnett of Hampshire County bought of Rev. Denny Fairfax of Dent County, 46acres in Hamphire County, deed recorded 28 August 1792. One of the witnesses was William Hillery.On 1 December 1791, Abraham witnessed several deeds for Denny Fairfax on lands received from Lord Fairfax, deceased: 1-James Clark, 46 acres, part of Swan Ponds, 2-36 acres on South Branch to Thomas Dawson, 3-45 acres on South Branch to Phillip Lewcas of Hampshire County.
4-30 acres to Sylvester Tipton, part of Swan Ponds. 5-51 acres, part of Swan Pond, Three months later Abraham Monnett bought from Rev. Denny Fairfax for 46 acres in Hampshire County, location not given.It did say that Abraham was from Hampshire County.On 25 August 1792 Denny Fairfax conveyed to William Hillery of Hampshire County.This may be Abraham's father-in-law or brother-in law.On 25 February 1795, Abraham of Hampshire County, conveyed to Isaac Vanmeter and Abel Seymour 45 acres , part of Swan Pond tract, recorded 20 April 1795. In 1802 Abraham moved to Ross County, Ohio where his son, Isaac, preceded him in death in 1798. Abraham had 12 children. Mr. Doll has two dates in his Daniels history as date of death, 7 and 10 December, 1810, in Ohio.
Abraham married Ann Hillary in Fredrick County, Maryland, where Abraham served in the Revolution.About 1790-92, they moved to Hampshire County and built a home on the Swan Pond tract southeast of Cumberland, Maryland, and in sight of Knobly Mountain.In 1802, the family emigrated to Ross County, Ohio. Here Abraham died in 1810 and Ann moved to Picaway County, Ohio, making her home with others of the family living there.She died in 1833.
The first Monnetts to settle in the United States were refugee French Huguenots.They settle in New York and New Jersey a couple of generations before they came to the Maryland/West Virginia area according to J. William Hunt., Cumberland Times Staff Writer.They trekked on westward to Ohio, Indiana and California.
More About Abraham Monnett and Ann Hillary:
Marriage: 1772, Calvert County, MD.
Children of Abraham Monnett and Ann Hillary are:
- +Thomas Monnett, b. 1780, d. March 26, 1855, Marion County, OH.