The Peltier / Strange Family Home Page:Information about Andrew Peltier
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Andrew Peltier (b. January 29, 1736/37, d. 1822)Andrew Peltier (son of Pierre Pelletier and Elisabeth Arnoux Lavergne dit Renaud) was born January 29, 1736/37 in St. Francois du Sud, and died 1822 in Assumption Sandwich.He married (1) Mary Catherine Meloche on February 7, 1764 in Detroit, MI, daughter of Pierre Meloche and Jeanne Caron.He married (2) Catherine Bigras dit Fauvel on January 31, 1791 in Assumption, Detroit, daughter of Joseph Amable Bigras dit Fauvel and Mary Charlotte DeFour.
Notes for Andrew Peltier:
Notes: these notes were furnished by Jack Peltier, and represent data from Denissen, Assumption parish documents, other local documents, and Jack himself.
There was a concerted effort circa 1750 to attract settlers and craftsmen to the Detroit area to support the garrison and the fur trading operations in order to make the settlement more self supporting. Incentives of land, equipment, etc., were provided to get people to move. It appears that André came at the later end of this recruiting period and just about the time Detroit was surrendered to the British. (The final surrender of French-Canada to the British was signed by the Marquis de Vaudreuil in Montréal in 1760.
André, a miller by trade, came to Detroit in 1760. It was in Detroit that he married Marie-Catherine Meloche (3/2/1737 - 1/14/1786), on February 7, 1764, widow of both Jean-Baptiste Sappe-dit-Poligny and of Pierre Louis Mailet. She was the daughter of Pierre Meloche and Jeanne Caron.
In the survey of the Settlement of Detroit made in 1782 (South Shore only), the following is noted: André Pettier (Peltier), 1 married woman, 1 young man/hired hand, 3 boys, 5 girls, 4 horses, 2 oxen, 4 cows, 2 steers/heifers, 10 hogs, etc. André rented pew 7 in Assumption Church in 1781 for 10 shillings; there were 34 pews in the church. Circa 1776 there were about 100 French families (600 people) on the south shore of Detroit. Prior to 1761, Ste. Anne's in Detroit was mainly used for baptisms, etc. Assumption was until then a mission to the Hurons. Assumption Church was known as "Église de l'Assomption à la pointe de Montréal de Détroit".
André married for a second time, at Assumption Church, on January 31, 1791. His bride was Catherine Bigras-dit-Fauvel (12/25/1766 - ??), widow of Joseph Bergeron and daughter of Joseph Amable Bigras-dit-Fauvel and Marie-Charlotte Dufour.
André was buried on June 21, 1822 at Assumption.
More About Andrew Peltier:
Occupation: Miller, came to Detroit in 1760.
More About Andrew Peltier and Mary Catherine Meloche:
Marriage: February 7, 1764, Detroit, MI.
More About Andrew Peltier and Catherine Bigras dit Fauvel:
Marriage: January 31, 1791, Assumption, Detroit.
Children of Andrew Peltier and Mary Catherine Meloche are:
- +Andrew Peltier, b. January 10, 1765, Detroit, MI, d. 1798.
- +Charles Peltier, Sr., b. July 30, 1767, Detroit, MI, d. August 3, 1856, Mt. Clemens, MI.
- +Gabriel Peltier, b. June 26, 1769, Assumption, Sandwich, d. 1845.
- +Catherine Peltier, b. July 30, 1771, Assumption, Detroit, d. date unknown.
- Mary Peltier, b. March 24, 1773, Assumption, d. 1793, Assumption.
- Mary Jane Peltier, b. October 31, 1774, Assumption, d. 1790.
- Mary Josette Peltier, b. August 21, 1776, Assumption, d. 1854, Assumption.
- Issac Peltier, b. September 17, 1778, Assumption, d. date unknown.
- Elisabeth Peltier, b. July 11, 1780, Assumption, d. 1809, Assumption.
- Susanne Peltier, b. November 3, 1782, Assumption, d. date unknown.
- +John Baptist Simon Peltier, b. February 17, 1785, Assumption, Sandwich, d. 1841, Detroit, MI.
Children of Andrew Peltier and Catherine Bigras dit Fauvel are:
- Victoria Peltier, b. October 23, 1791, Assumption, d. date unknown.
- Bridget Peltier, b. September 13, 1793, Assumption, d. date unknown.
- Frances Xavier Peltier, b. April 18, 1796, Assumption, d. date unknown.
- +Louis Peltier, b. 1798, d. date unknown.
- Pelagia Peltier, b. March 20, 1801, Detroit, MI, d. date unknown.
- Veronica Peltier, b. September 13, 1803, Detroit, MI, d. date unknown.
- +Lambert Peltier, b. January 25, 1806, Assumption, Sandwich, d. date unknown.