My Genealogy Home Page:Information about 2nd - Lillian Thorne Heeter
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
2nd - Lillian Thorne Heeter (b. May 24, 1902, d. December 22, 1982)2nd - Lillian Thorne Heeter (daughter of Emanuel C Heeter and Mattie C McKeel) was born May 24, 1902 in Moosic, PA, and died December 22, 1982 in Stuart, FL.She married William McKinley Shook, Sr on October 09, 1920 in Moosic, PA by Rev F A VanSciver, son of George A Shook, Sr and Anna Mae Fritz.
Notes for 2nd - Lillian Thorne Heeter:
Lillian, born in Moosic, was the daughter of Emanuel and Mattie McKeel Heeter.Mattie was first married to Mr. Daily.I have no further information regarding him, although I believe he is the gentleman in a picture I have of her.She died April 12, 1934.She was 64 at the time of her death.Emanuel died in 1943.
Lilliandied at the home of her daughter June in Steward, FL.
She served on the Stroud Township School Board and was the acting secretary.She also belonged to the American Legion Auxillary, George N. Kemp Post.
She was a member of St John's EvangelicalLutheran Church, Stroudsurg.
She was a very good cook.Although she tried several times to teach me how to make creamed cabbage,I never could get it like hers.She liked to make patchwork quilts and to do hand quilting.In my ceder chest there are quilts she made for Maryellen and Jenny.
She became a member of Quiet Valley Living Historical Farm and volunteered there with us.
I miss her.
I located William'sWW I Registration Record dated 5 Jun 19l8.He listed his next of kin as George Shook, so Gladys must have died earlier that year.
In the 1930 census he listed his middle initial as H - so there we go again with that middle name.He was listed as head of the household with wife Lillian and children:William, Jr, Robert, Donald, James, Richard and June. His occupation was machinist atthe round house.
He worked 38 years for the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad and was a member of the Railroad Brotherhood of Machinists.
I especially remember Grandpa Willie (as I called him) as a great gardener.He worked his garden diligently and grew the greatest asparagus you could ever eat.In the spring he would pick the fresh stalks, clean and steam them, add butter and set down and watch me savor every bite.He said seeing me enjoy them so much made all the effort worth it.You could eat his tomatoes almost like an apple,they were so solid and delicious.He saved the seeds each year.From him, I learned to appreciate the work of a farmer
.I miss him, too.
More About 2nd - Lillian Thorne Heeter:
Burial: Prospect Cemetery, East Stroudsburg, PA.
More About 2nd - Lillian Thorne Heeter and William McKinley Shook, Sr:
Marriage: October 09, 1920, Moosic, PA by Rev F A VanSciver.
Children of 2nd - Lillian Thorne Heeter and William McKinley Shook, Sr are:
- +Donald C Shook, Sr, b. April 17, 1921, Stroudsburg, PA, d. April 16, 1978, East Stroudsburg, PA, Monroe PA.
- +James Anthony Shook, Sr, b. March 03, 1923, Stroudsburg, Monroe, PA.at home, d. December 14, 1995, Boone, NC.
- +Richard Wesley Shook, b. April 11, 1925, Stroudsburg, PA(at home), d. April 02, 2005, Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, Lehigh, PA.
- +June Shook, b. July 01, 1927, Stroudsburg, Monroe, PA.at home.
- +David W Shook, Sr, b. February 11, 1935, Stroudsburg, Monroe, PA.at home, d. February 19, 2005, Home, Middle Smithfield Twp, Monroe, PA.
- +Bruce Lewellyn Shook, b. October 28, 1936, Stroudsburg, PA.
- +Douglas Malcolm Shook, Sr, b. October 02, 1938, East Stroudsburg, PA, d. May 12, 2006, Lake Worth, FL.