| ||Notes for FRANCES AGNES TUSCHL:|
[From the archives of the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, Holy Family Convent, Silver Lake, Manitowoc, WI - June 4, 2003.]
Frances Agnes Tuschl [our spelling] was born October 10, 1874 in the Town of Liberty (Manitowoc County, WI).Parents: John Tuschl born in Austria and Frances Vogel born in Bavaria.She entered the Convent July 3, 1886 at age 11 and was received into the Community on May 20, 1890.She professed her vows on August 15, 1893.At her profession, she received the additional title: Sister Firmina of the Incarnate Word.(Such titles were never used and were discontinued about 1920.)
Apostolic Work: Musician.She taught piano and instruments and was known as an outstanding choir director.Her assignments wee as follows -- the dates go by school years (September to June).It is very possible that she was stationed at the Motherhouse (Silver Lake) during times unknown.It is known that she taught music at Holy Family Convent at various times.
1891-1892St Joseph Parish, Rice Lake, WI
1893-1894St Joseph Parish, Rice Lake, WI
1895-1896St Nicholas Parish, Zanesville, OH
1896-1900St Ambrose Parish, Ironwood, MI
1900-1901St Francis Parish, Petoskey, MI [Superior of the Sisters]
1901-1914St John Parish, Antigo, WI [Superior 1909-1913]
1914-1923St Nicholas Parish, Zanesville, OH [Superior]
1923-1925St Anne Parish, Escanaba, MI [Superior]
1925-1931St Mary Parish, Kaukauna, WI [Superior]
1936-1943Immaculate Conception Parish, Yuma, AZ [Superior 1936-1942]
1943-1950St John Boarding School, Komatke, AZ [Superior 1944-1950]
1951-1954Good Samaritan Hospital, Zanesville, OH [Superior]
Sister Firmina died on June 27, 1956 at Holy Family Convent; she was 81 years old and professed 62 years.She is buried in the Convent Cemetery at Holy Family Convent, Silver Lake, Manitowoc, WI.
Historical Note: An historical marker, across the road from St Mary's Church, Clarks Mills, notes that on June 5, 1866, Teresa Graulick responded to the request of the Pastor of St Mary's, Father Joseph Fessler, to provide teachers for the St Mary's School.Teresa, with three other women, responded to the request by forming the religious community known as the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.The marker marks the site of their home/convent.It was this community that Sister Firmina entered 20 years later.