The McAulay / Smith Family Journal:Information about Earl Gordon Carson
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Earl Gordon Carson (b. April 16, 1897, d. September 13, 1970)Earl Gordon Carson (son of James Carson and Martha Jane Wilson) was born April 16, 1897 in Toronto Gore Township, and died September 13, 1970 in Centre Grey Hospital, Markdale, Ontario.He married Marjorie Sarah McQuarrie on November 19, 1924, daughter of John McQuarrie and Mary Lavina Schell.
Notes for Earl Gordon Carson:
Earl was born near Stanley Mills, Toronto Gore, Airport road.
EARL GORDON CARSON
Earl Gordon Carson was born April 16, 1897. He was the son of James and Martha (Wilson) Carson. Earl grew up on a farm on the present Hwye #10, a mile east of Dundalk. On November 19, 1924 he married Mar-jorie McQuarrie and they had two sons, Vernon and Ronald. They farmed and also operated a dairy for several years until 1946. In 1949 they sold the farm and moved to Dundalk.
Earl was a well known and respected resident of the community. He was a member of the United Church. He died September 13, 1970 and was buried at the Dundalk Cemetery.
Newspaper article The Dundalk Herald
Dundalk, Ontario Thursday, December 14, 1944
Earl Carson to Erect Pasteurization Plant
Earl Carson, who suffered the loss of his pasteurization plant in a fire over two weeks ago at the old power house, has decided to move "uptown". Lastweek he purchased two business stands at the northerly end of The Herald premises, together with landat the rear, where he purposes erecting his pasteurization plant. We understand Earl will start work shortly renovating his newly-aquired porperty and erecting a building for his pasteurization equipment.
Newspaper article The Dundalk Herald
Dundalk, Ontario September 24, 1970
EARL G. CARSON
Dundalk Man Died at Markdale
Earl Gordon Carson of Dundalk died Sunday Sept.13, 1970, in Centre Grey Hospital, Markdale, where he had been a patient for about a month. He was in his 74th year.
Born April 16, 1897, in Toronto Gore Township he was a son of the late James and Martha (Wilson) Carson. He came to Dundalk as a child with his parents. Later the family moved to a farm on the present No. 10 Highway, a mile east of Dundalk village, where he grew into manhood. In addition to farming, he operated a dairy for several years till 1946. Three years 'later he sold the farm and moved to Dundalk.
On Nov.19, 1924, he married Marjorie McQuarrie of Ventry district.
Besides his wife, he leaves two sons: Vernon of Port Credit and Ronald of Orangeville; six grand-children: James, Sandra, Janis, Susan, Billie and Scott; five sis-ters: Edith, Mrs. Hugh McAulay and Alice, Mrs. John Carter of Dundalk; Mae, Mrs. Roland Thompson of Toronto; Ann, Mrs. Robt. Weir of Thornbury, and Mildred, Mrs. Charles Cooper of Claremont. He was predeceased by two sisters in childhood, namely, Ruby and Myrtle.
Earl was a well known and respected resident of the com-munity. He was a member of Dundalk United Church. He was interested in sports.In his youth was a baseball player, being catcher for the local team. The funeral was on Wednesday, Sept. 16, when a largely-attended service was conducted in the Mc-Millan Funeral Home, by Rev. U. E. Cronhielm, of Dundalk United Church. A quartette comprising R. J. McMillen, Harry Minke, Harold Osborne and Emerson Ludlow sang, with Mrs. Elmo Stevens as accompanist.
Interment was in Dundalk Cemetery. The pall-bearers were Harvey Grummett, Wm. Hay, Ross Archibald, Jack Aitken, Robt. McDonald and Ross Irving.
The flower-bearers were Alex Bradley, Clinton Huribut, Elwin Wilson and Murray McDonald. Friends were present from Tor-onto, Port Credit, Lorne Park, Brampton, Caledon, Markham, Claremont, Thornbury, 0wen Sound, Barrie, Wasaga Beach, Orangeville, Mount Forest and Flesherton.
Notes from "A History of Dundalk"
In 1928, Earl Carson started a dairy business on his farm located on the southeast corner of #10 highway and the Dundalk road. He delivered milk to the area with a horse and wagon. In the 1930's when milk began to be pasteurized, he moved the dairy into town. It was located on the south side of Victoria Street just east of the railway tracks, in the old power-house. In late 1944, the dairy was destroyed by fire, and Earl purchased the pasteurization equipment of the Mount Forest dairy in-tending to build a new plant at some property owned by the "Dundalk Herald." However, he sold the business instead to Mr. Ken Alexander of the Shelburne Dairy who processed the milk for both towns in Shelburne. In December of 1953, Fred "Pat" Dales bought the fran-chise from Shelburne Dairy to start a dairy in Dundalk. It was opened on January 11, 1954 in a building on Pro-ton Street purchased from Gardiner Bros. and originally built as a workshop by Bert Edwards. "Dales Dairy" was sold on July 1, 1961 to George and Gladys McGregor of Port Elgin, and Grant Elliottt (an employee of the Dales). It was operated as "Dales Dairy" until 1966, when Mr. Elliott took over, and it was renamed "Elliott's Dairy." In 1987, "Elliott's Dairy" still operates in the same location on Proton Street North.
Pte. Earl, the son of Mr. and Mrs. James Carson, served in the war.
More About Earl Gordon Carson:
Burial: Dundalk cemetary.
Church: Dundalk United.
Fact 7: Earl is number 8 in the Dundalk Thistles photograph..
More About Earl Gordon Carson and Marjorie Sarah McQuarrie:
Marriage: November 19, 1924
Children of Earl Gordon Carson and Marjorie Sarah McQuarrie are:
- +James Vernon Carson, b. February 15, 1929.
- +Ronald Earl Carson, b. July 31, 1941, Mrs. Pettys' Nursing Home Dundalk, Ontario.