Gloria Dei Church (the Old Swedes') was built between 1698 - 1700 and is the oldest church in Pennsylvania. The Swedes preceded the English to this part of America, arriving here in 1646. For nearly two centuries, this church was a mission of the Church of Sweden. As Swedes were absorbed into the general American population, Gloria Dei became English speaking and was admitted into the Episcopal church in 1845. The Church is owned and maintained by its congregation and contains important historic relics and artifacts.Revolutionary War patriots John Hansen, president of the Continental Congress under theArticles of Confederation, John Morton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and five ofGeneral Washington's officers rest in the churchyard burial ground. (Information courtesy of http://www.nps.gov/gldeand Eric Knight)Peter Gunnarsson Rambo lies under the altar, where he was buried about 1699.