| || Notes for William HARPER:|
In 1817, William was farming at Newington, south of Edinburgh, and Catherine Hamilton MITCHELL lived with her family at Loanhead, daughter of George MITCHELL, deceased. Banns were given for the proclamation of the banns of marriage from Abbotstall, Kirkcaldy, Fife. witnesses at their marriage were: John Fraser, High St., Edinburgh and George HARPER, grocer at Newington. IN 1836, William lived in the Hunter district, and was a Presbyterian. (SOURCE: Old Parish Records pf St. Cuthbert's (685.2/19).
William was an early architect and surveyor who arrived in Australia from Scotland in 1820, on the Westmoreland". He prepared early maps of Sydney and Newcastle, but is especially remembered as the builder of "The Judge's House", 529-531 Kent St. in 1821. It was leased to Judge Dowling in 1828, after HARPER received a land grant at "Harper's Hill", when he became blind.It is now the only surviving Georgian cottage in the inner-city. It is currently owned bythe Duke of Westminster through his company Governor International, and David Holding Ply Ltd.
William is buried under a flat stone with barely legible writingamong a plot of trees in a creek, just below the site of the old "Oswald" homestead on the property now called "Llana". (SOURCE: Map Ref: 9589/4419, Military Survey map of singleton Sheet No 387 Zone B).
William died suddenly in his home, Oswald, 10 MAY 1836, age 44 years. Notice of his death read: "Affectionate husband and tender father. Lost eye-sight in government service, nine years before death. (SOURCE: SMH 19 MAY 1836).