The Swisher's of Preble County, Ohio:Information about Gasper Potterf
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Gasper Potterf (b. December 19, 1759, d. October 04, 1836)Gasper Potterf2914, 2915 was born December 19, 1759 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and died October 04, 1836 in Gasper Township, Preble County, Ohio.He married (1) Susannah Reidenour on 1784 in date unknown2915.He married (2) Nancy Jane Longnecker.
Notes for Gasper Potterf:
From DAR papers:
1st-Gasper Potterf was drafted from Frederick Co., MD serving for three months in Captain Bannard's Company which marched to Philadelphia and remained there 16 days. From there the company went into Jersey and back to Philadelphia and thence home where he was released from service by expiration of his term.
2nd--Three months in Virginia in the militia of Captain James Buchannon's Col. John Boyers's Regiment, General Muchleuberg's brigade. Discharged in North Carolina and sent home.
3rd--In August 1781 served 3 months in the Rockridge Co., Va militia in Captain Charles Campbell's Co., Col Samuel Lewis' Reg. Gen'l Steven's Brigade. Gasper Potterf was chosen to stand guard at the surrender of Cornwallis 10/19/1781 as one of a number of privates. He later assisted in the guarding of prisoners of Winchester Barracks, Frederick Co., Va.
The DAR form shows that the above information was obtained from the"Military Record through the Dep't of Interior, Bureau of Pensions, Washington, D.C. on April 19, 1905
O.V.D. N. Division
J. S. C.No. 17024
Military Record: Gasper Potterf's history was obtained through the Department of Interior, Bureau of Pensions, Washington, D.C. April 19, 1905, O. W. & N Division. 3-525 J.S.C. #17024, Revolutionary War. Enlisted drafted Winter of 1777; 3 Months private Captain John Bannered, Maryland January 1781; 3 Months Capt James Buchanan, Colonel John Moyer, Virginia, August, 1781; Captain Charles Campbell, Colonel Samuel Lewis, Virginia. No battles mentioned. Applied for Pension, March 23, 1833. Born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Emigrated to Ohio in 1806, settled on Section 26, Gasper Township, Preble County, Ohio. Being the second settlers. Susanne P. died in 1831. In 1832 Gasper P. married Nancy Longnecker. By this marriage were three children.
More About Gasper Potterf:
Date born 2: December 19, 17592916
Date born 3: December 19, 1759, Lancaster, PA.2917
Died 2: 18362918
Died 3: 1836, Unknown.2919
More About Gasper Potterf and Susannah Reidenour:
Marriage 1: 1784, Unknown.2919
Marriage 2: 17842920
Marriage 3: 1784, Rockbridge County, Virginia.
More About Gasper Potterf and Nancy Jane Longnecker:
Children of Gasper Potterf and Susannah Reidenour are:
- Jacob Potterf, b. 17862920, 2921, d. 18622922, 2923.
- John Potterf, b. 17892924, 2925, d. 18272926, 2927.
- Elizabeth Potterf, b. February 10, 1790, d. February 03, 1869.
- +Joseph Potterf, b. September 17, 17922928, 2929, d. November 24, 18592930, 2931.
- Polly Potterf, b. 17952932, 2933, d. 1867.
- Sally Potterf, b. 17962934, 2935, d. 18652936, 2937.
- Annie Potterf, b. 18012938, 2939, d. 19022940, 2941.
- David Potterf, b. 18022942, 2943, d. 18742944, 2945.
- Rose Potterf, b. 18052946, 2947, d. 18752948, 2949.
- Jefferson Potterf, b. 18092950, 2951, d. 18532952, 2953.
- Gasper T. Potterf, b. 18332953, 2954, d. date unknown2955.
- James S. Potterf, b. 18342955, 2956, d. date unknown2957.
- Nancy Jane Potterf, b. 18362958, 2959, d. date unknown2959.
- Samuel Potterf, b. 17982960, 2961, d. 18482962, 2963.
- Susanah Potterf, b. 17872964, 2965, d. 18452966, 2967.
- +Joseph Potterf, b. February 27, 1792, Lanier Township, Preble County, Ohio, d. February 19, 1859, Gasper Township, Preble County, Ohio.
- Nancy Jane Potterf, b. 17942968, 2969, 2970, d. September 09, 18592970.
- Rosanna Potterf, b. 1805, d. 1875.
Children of Gasper Potterf and Nancy Jane Longnecker are:
- Nancy Jane Potterf, b. 18362971, 2972, d. date unknown2972.
- Gasper T. Potterf, b. 18332972, 2973, d. date unknown2974.
- James S. Potterf, b. 18342974, 2975, d. date unknown2976.