The Family of Paula Waterworth Waldowski:Information about Roger de la Feld
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Roger de la Feld (b. Abt. 1000, d. date unknown)Roger de la Feld was born Abt. 1000 in Alsace, Lorraine, France, and died date unknown.
Notes for Roger de la Feld:
The Family of De La Field,
still indissolubly identified with this locality, notwithstanding their total estrangement from its possession, were originally derived from Alsace, and long resided in the chateau that bears their name, situated in a pass of the Vosges mountains, about three days' journey from Colmar. They were also lords of considerable possessions in Lorraine. The ruins of their castle and its chapel yet remain, and afford a picturesque but melancholy memoriai of "the splendour of the Counts of la Field, as styled by du Chesne, who records the tributes they claimed, the retinue and hospitality they maintained, as well as the difficulties they encountered in the early wars of Germany and France, notwithstanding the assistance they received  from the Earls of Flanders, and the House of Hapsburg, to both of which they were allied by marriage:
"La croix d'or de la Feld luisant parmi les,
En courageux defi lances des armées de la France."
A cadet of this noble line came over to England about the time of the Conqueror, and, accordingly, Hubert de la Field is recorded as a tenant in capite in Buckinghamshire, in the third year of the reign of that monarch, as is also John de la Field in 1109. King John early in his reign granted a considerable estate at Streatham in Surrey, which had been the property of Peter "Feald," to William de Rivers, Earl of Devonshire, and in 1253 John de la Feld intermarried with Elizabeth Fitzwarine, from which marriage descended the de la Felds of Field Place in Sussex, as also the de la Felds of the above locality of Fieldstown, and in right of which marriage, the head of this sept now claims the title of Fitzwarine as a barony in fee. About the year 1270 Ralph de Feld granted six acres in Botlowe (Gloucestershire), to the abbey of Flaxley, while other members of the family were, at the same. time, settled in Hertfordshire and Kent. In 1299 Adam de la Field was one of the king's valets on service in the castle of Loughmaban and in the king's army, for which he received for himself and his "mailed" horse, an allowance of 12 pence per day. About the same period, Reginald de la Field was a landed proprietor in the palatinate of Meath. In 1315 Robert de la Feld was keeper of the tallies under the Earl of Warwick.
In 1344 John, the son of John de la Field, was seised of the manor of Skidow in the county of Dublin, and in 1359, was one of the three appointed to assess and collect a subsidy over that county. In 1373 the sheriff thereof was directed to summon this John de la Field amongst others, the chief men of the county, to a great council. In 1385 the king, in consideration of the great expense which Alexander, Bishop of Ossory, had, while Treasurer of Ireland, incurred in Munster and elsewhere, granted to him the custody of the estates of John, the son of John de la Field, deceased, to hold same during the minority of said John's brother and heir, Richard de la Field. In 1389 Michael de la Felde was Vicar of St. Mary's church of Callan, and Dean of St. Canice's  cathedral, Kilkenny; and in 1390 Richard Field was installed one of the canons of the free chapel in Windsor.
In 1402 Thomas Felde, merchant of Salisbury, petitioned the English parliament, stating that he had been plundered of various goods and merchandise by the French on the high sea, and praying, therefore, letters of marque and reprisal. In the same year in Ireland, Walter de la Felde was appointed one of four collectors of a subsidy, granted by the commonalty of the county of Dublin, while Thomas de Ia Feld had a similar commission in the barony of Duleek; John de la Feld was at this time seised of Fieldstown, which his daughter and heiress Catherine having inherited, passed with her on her marriage with Richard, the son of John Barnewall of Trimlestown, as above-mentioned.
In 1416 John Felde was one of the knights who served under the Duke of Gloucester, at the battle of Agincourt. In 1454 another of the same name was sheriff of London, became subsequently an alderman thereof, and merchant of the staple of Calais. He died in 1474, and has a fine monument erected to his memory in the cathedral of Hereford. In 1479 Doctor Field, Warden of Winchester, was a considerable benefactor to King's College, Cambridge; and in 1480 one of this family was Master of Fotheringay College, the windows of which he considerably beautified, as recorded by Camden.
In the commencement of the 16th century, Patrick de la Field of Painstown intermarried with Elizabeth, the daughter of Thomas Cusack of Geraldstown, and granddaughter of the 16th baron of Howth. A branch of the Fields was about the same time settled at Corduff in the County of Dublin. In 1534 Captain James de la Field, chief of the sept, was one of the adherents of the unfortunate Thomas Fitz-Gerald, and in his cause besieged the castle of Dublin; but the citizens having closed their gates, and thus cut off his party from communicating with their friends, some of Field's detachment were fain to escape by swimming over the river, but the greater number were taken prisoners.
About the same time a branch of the Fields was planted at Shipley in Yorkshire; and at the close of this century flourished Mr. Field the Puritan, notices of whose writings are preserved in  Collier's Poetical Decameron, as are some of his letters in the Cottonian Manuscripts. In the celebrated conference of 1603, between the Presbyterians and the members of the Established Church, held at Hampton Court before King James, as moderator; Doctor Field was one of the deputed divines of the latter side. In consequence of this meeting, which lasted three days, a new translation of the Bible was ordered, and some alterations made in the liturgy. In 1616 died Richard Field, Canon of Windsor and Dean of Gloucester, he was buried at the former place. In 1620 Dr. Field was Bishop of Landaff.
In the 17th century James de la Field was possessed of considerable estates in the County of Monaghan, while members of the family flourished at Stanstedbury in Hertfordshire, at Ardestow in Yorkshire, at Madley in Herefordshire, at Pagan Hall in Gloucestershire, at Ashford in Middlesex, as likewise in Hampshire.
In 1664 John de la Field was one of those who petitioned for a remuneration to Sir Robert Talbot and others, who had been agents for the Roman Catholic nobility and gentry of Ireland, such remuneration to be levied off the estates of the restored Roman Catholics. A branch of the Field family was then settled in Cork, two of whose descendants, John and Richard Field, were amongst those attainted in King James's parliament of 1689, while another member established himself in Armagh, of which town John Field was sovereign in 1715,1720, 1724, 1725, and 1728.
In 1697 John de la Feld, a descendant of the marriage mentioned at 1253, who had entered the imperial service, acquitted himself with distinguished gallantry at the battle of Zenta in Hungary, fought by Prince Eugene against the Turks, and was thereupon created a Count of the Holy Roman Empire. In the records of the ensuing period, various members of the family are traced at Islington, at Woodford in Essex, at Kingston-upon-Hull, at Camden Hill, Kensington, and in Lancashire.
From Fieldstown the course of this excursion enters the parish of 
Ch. 16. Killossery. Home.
From Randy Regan's homepage:
The family home was originally located in a pass of the Vosges Mountains in Alsace, France near a little village called Colmar. It was called the Chateau de la Feld.
Children of Roger de la Feld are:
- +Huburtus de la Feld, b. Abt. 1030, d. 1092.