My Genealogy Home Page:Information about James Garrison Fonner
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
James Garrison Fonner (b. 11 Feb 1852, d. 10 Apr 1909)James Garrison Fonner (son of Andrew Jackson Fonner and Lydia Gillogly)194, 194, 194 was born 11 Feb 1852 in Jacktown, Greene Co., PA, USA194, 194, and died 10 Apr 1909 in Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, 194.He married Barbara Alice Cole on 08 Feb 1872 in Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, daughter of Daniel H Cole and Susan Nicodemus.
Notes for James Garrison Fonner:
Eldest son of Andrew J. and Lydia Gillogly Fonner. He was born in Greene County Pennsylvania February 11, 1852. He came to Illinois with his parents in 1857. He died in Newman, Illinois on April 10, 1909.
February 8, !872, he married Barbara Alice Cole who was born in Frederick Maryland July 1, 1854. She was the daughter of Daniel and Susan Cole. She lived as a child thru the Civil War not far from Gettysburg. She came with her parents to Atlanta, Illinois in 1871. Later they moved to Newman, Illinois and lived just north of the Methodist Church. The territory west was all prairie. She and James G. Fonner were married in the white wooden Methodist Church in Newman at the conclusion of the evening service, February 8, 1872. They lived on a farm 8 miles northwest of Newman for 33 years. The country was almost unbroken prairie and undrained swamp at the time of their marriage. Eleven children came from this union.
The following is an excerpt from the obituary in the Newman Independent Newspaper, April 10, 1909, Newman, Douglas County, Illinois:
"The following obituary was prepared and read at the funeral by Rev. Lawrence, Pastor of the Presbyterian Church: James G. Fonner was born in Jackson, Green County, Penn. Feb 11, 1852. He spent the Paradise of his childhood life in the granite hills of his native state. He came to Illinois with his parent in 1857 and settled in Newman and here he was reared to manhood.
He was married to Miss Barbara A. Cole of this city, Feb 8, 1872. One year thereafter, they moved to their own farm, eight miles northwest of Newman, where for 33 years engaged in farming. Here the Lord blessed his home and fields and made him to prosper. To this union God gave eleven children to bring sunshine in their house, of whom three died in infancy, William, Lydia, James Orval and Maude, at the age of 18. Thus early in his journey of life sorrow stretched its dark curtain, but it did not hide the light of hope, for he reckoned them as his own gone to our Father's house, and it brought heaven and earth closer together. He loved his children with an ardent devotion and they were to him a source of great happiness and his household became to him a little church, and they were happy each with the other.
About six years ago he was converted to Christ under the preaching of Brother McKinney and united with the Fairfield Presbyterian Church, and after moving to Newman, transferred to the Presbyterian church of this city, in which church he lived a faithful life to the time of his death.
He was a member of the Masonic Order, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also the Modern Woodsman.
About two years ago he retired from the farm and moved to this city, and for some time had been in failing health. Everything was done to prolong life, but the disease baffled expert medical skill, and when approaching the end was realized he said, "I would love to live, But I am ready to go when Jesus calls me."
More About James Garrison Fonner:
Date born 2: Jackson, Green County, PA.
Date born 3: 11 Feb 1852, Jacktown, Greene Co., PA.
Date born 4: 11 Feb 1852, Jacktown, Greene, PA, USA.194
Burial: Fairfield Cemetery, North of Newman, Illinois.
Died 2: 10 Apr 1909, Newman, Douglas, IL, USA.194
Died 3: 10 Apr 1909, Newman, Illinois.
More About James Garrison Fonner and Barbara Alice Cole:
Marriage 1: 08 Feb 1872, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA.194
Marriage 2: 08 Feb 1871, Newman, Illinois.
Marriage 3: 08 Feb 1872, Newman, Illinois.
Children of James Garrison Fonner and Barbara Alice Cole are:
- +Rosa Alice Fonner, b. 30 Mar 1893, Longview, Champaign Co., IL, USA194, 194, 194, d. 16 Mar 1981, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, 194, 194, 194.
- +Cora Belle Fonner, b. 02 Mar 1873, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, d. 07 Mar 1940, Tuscola, Douglas Co., IL, USA194.
- Ella M Fonner, b. 28 Mar 1875, Longview, Champaign Co., IL, USA194, d. 01 Jan 1953, Tuscola, Douglas Co., IL, USA194.
- Wiiliam Edward Fonner, b. 19 Jul 1877, d. 12 Apr 1880.
- Lydia Anna Fonner, b. 08 Dec 1879, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, 194, d. 02 Aug 1881, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, 194.
- Benton Henry Fonner, b. 05 Feb 1882, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, d. 21 Apr 1971, Decatur, Macon Co., IL, USA194.
- Iona Maude Fonner, b. 19 Jul 1887, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, d. 04 Feb 1904, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194.
- +Elmer Marion Fonner, b. 11 Apr 1884, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, d. 07 Feb 1970, Sidell, Douglas Co., IL, USA194.
- Edith Carrie Fonner, b. 29 Oct 1888, Longview, Champaign Co., IL, USA194, d. 10 Mar 1966, Newman, Douglas Co, IL, USA194.
- James Orval Fonner, b. 17 Dec 1890, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, d. 13 Dec 1891, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194.
- +Vernon Jackson Fonner, b. 08 Sep 1895, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA194, d. 23 Sep 1956, Urbana, Champaign Co., IL, USA194.