My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Barbara Alice Cole
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Barbara Alice Cole (b. 01 Jul 1854, d. 16 Feb 1938)Barbara Alice Cole (daughter of Daniel H Cole and Susan Nicodemus)109, 109, 109 was born 01 Jul 1854 in Frederick, MD, USA109, 109, 109, and died 16 Feb 1938 in Newman, Douglas Co, IL, USA109, 109.She married James Garrison Fonner on 08 Feb 1872 in Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, son of Andrew Jackson Fonner and Lydia Gillogly.
Notes for Barbara Alice Cole:
1900 Douglas County census says she was born Jul 1858 in PA
Excerpt from obituary column in Newman Independent, Newman, Douglas County, Illinois for Feb 1938:
"The following obituary was prepared and read at the funeral by Mrs. J.M. McKnight: "Barbara Alice Fonner daughter of Daniel and Susan Cole, was born in Frederick, Maryland, July 1st 1854, and passed away at her home in Newman, Illinois, February 16th 1938, aged 83 years, 7 months, and 15 days.
As a young girl, Mrs. Fonner lived through the period of the Civil War and had some vivid remembrances of the shock and shell of battle. Living in Maryland, and not many miles distant, she was almost a part of the greatest battle of Gettysburg, fought Jul, 1863, when she Was nine years old. She heard the cannon's deep boom, the roar and dim of battle, and saw the glare and smoke and also retreating soldiers as they passed her home. On different occasions during the war her parents had to hide livestock and were forced to feed the Confederate soldiers. These scenes made an indelible impression upon her.
In the course of a few years her parents were among those who journeyed westward to make their home in newer country. She came with them in 1871 and settled first , near Atlanta, Illinois, and later in Newman, residing just north of the Methodist Church. The territory all west was prairie.
She married February 8, 1872, to James G. Fonner, a young farmer of this community. The wedding ceremony was solemnized in the old Methodist church at the conclusion of an evening service.
The young couple moved to a farm 8 miles north of Newman. There they set up housekeeping and established a home. This country was then almost unbroken prairie, and undrained swamps, but she lived to see it bud and blossom and bear abundant fruit. Mr. and Mrs. Fonner engaged in farming until about 1905, when they came to Newman to make their permanent home.
She was a member of Newman Chapter No. 260, Order of Eastern Star of which she was chaplain for many years.
She had been in failing health for a number of years. Her last illness was of three months duration, eleven weeks of which she was confined to her bed. She suffered greatly at times. During lucid intervals she was much of the time engaged in prayer. A short time before her death she was heard to pray for her children and her grandchildren, individually and closed her prayer thus: "Dear Lord, I have done the best I could. I leave them all in thy care." She passed away quietly about 10:15 o'clock Wednesday night."
Excerpt from another short newspaper obituary:
"The deceased was born July 1, 1854 in Fredericksburg, Pa and came to Illinois when a young girl."
This differs from other information as to location of birth place.
More About Barbara Alice Cole:
Date born 2: Fredericksburg, PA.
Date born 3: 01 Jul 1854, Fredrick Co., Maryland.
Burial: 19 Feb 1938, Fairfield Cemetery, North of Newman, Illinois.
Died 2: 16 Feb 1938, Newman, Douglas, IL, USA.109
More About Barbara Alice Cole and James Garrison Fonner:
Marriage 1: 08 Feb 1872, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA.109
Marriage 2: 08 Feb 1871, Newman, Illinois.
Marriage 3: 08 Feb 1872, Newman, Illinois.
Children of Barbara Alice Cole and James Garrison Fonner are:
- +Rosa Alice Fonner, b. 30 Mar 1893, Longview, Champaign Co., IL, USA109, 109, 109, d. 16 Mar 1981, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, 109, 109, 109.
- +Cora Belle Fonner, b. 02 Mar 1873, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, d. 07 Mar 1940, Tuscola, Douglas Co., IL, USA109.
- Ella M Fonner, b. 28 Mar 1875, Longview, Champaign Co., IL, USA109, d. 01 Jan 1953, Tuscola, Douglas Co., IL, USA109.
- Wiiliam Edward Fonner, b. 19 Jul 1877, d. 12 Apr 1880.
- Lydia Anna Fonner, b. 08 Dec 1879, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, 109, d. 02 Aug 1881, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, 109.
- Benton Henry Fonner, b. 05 Feb 1882, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, d. 21 Apr 1971, Decatur, Macon Co., IL, USA109.
- Iona Maude Fonner, b. 19 Jul 1887, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, d. 04 Feb 1904, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109.
- +Elmer Marion Fonner, b. 11 Apr 1884, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, d. 07 Feb 1970, Sidell, Douglas Co., IL, USA109.
- Edith Carrie Fonner, b. 29 Oct 1888, Longview, Champaign Co., IL, USA109, d. 10 Mar 1966, Newman, Douglas Co, IL, USA109.
- James Orval Fonner, b. 17 Dec 1890, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, d. 13 Dec 1891, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109.
- +Vernon Jackson Fonner, b. 08 Sep 1895, Newman, Douglas Co., IL, USA109, d. 23 Sep 1956, Urbana, Champaign Co., IL, USA109.