Brian and Kathy's Family Tree:Information about Jane 'Jennie' Duke
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Jane 'Jennie' Duke (b. 1817, d. 30 Aug 1861)Jane 'Jennie' Duke (daughter of James Duke and Rachel Lindley)18 was born 1817 in TN18, and died 30 Aug 1861 in Itawamba Co., MS18.She married Pleasant Blackwell Downing on 1835 in Ms18.
Notes for Jane 'Jennie' Duke:
90. James Duke , Sr (William Duke , Sr7, Major Duke6, Joseph DUKE5, William S. DUKE4, James DUKE3, Henry DUKE , Sr2, Thomas DUKE1) was born 1788 in , , TN, and died BEF. 1830. He married Rachel Lyndley ABT. 1808 in , , TN.
Children of James Duke , Sr and Rachel Lyndley are:193i. Henry Duke was born 1809, and died 8 JUL 1882.
+ 194ii. William Duke was born 20 DEC 1811, and died 26 MAR 1868 in , Tishamingo, MS.
195iii. John Duke was born ABT. 1815. He married Susan Burke.
196iv. Jennie Duke was born ABT. 1817. She married xx Downing.
+ 197v. James Duke was born 10 AUG 1818 in , , TN, and died 4 JAN 1881.
from Jerry Lee Smith file
by: Morrie Manley Date: March 08, 1999 at 09:40:32
In Reply to: DUKE Fam. Itawamba Co. MS 1800-present by James H. Downingof 3947
Dear Mr. Downing,
How interesting that Pleasant B. Downing married 2 cousins of mine. (I'm descended from Major Duke, b. 1745, of Union Co. SC. I am also descended from John Strother, b. ca. 1750, of Humphreys Co., TN.) Anyway, my aunt, Nancy Duke Boyd Green was living in Itawamba Co, MS in the 1840s. She was born in 1788, in Union Co. SC. She had a brother named, William Duke b, July 4, 1766 in NC. They were children of Major Duke and his wife, Elizabeth Drury b. ca. 1749. I think it is likely that Jane Duke, wife of Pleasant Downing was a daughter or granddaughter of William Duke, b. 1766 in NC.
I believe that William Duke left SC ca. 1800 seeking greener pastures, I do know that families tend to move together and the Dukes were no exception. Good luck to you and your fellow researchers.
Morrie Manley Date: May 19, 1999 at 14:05:40
In Reply to: HAYES, Hardy of Bertie Co NC by J W Baughmanof 5776
found on genforum
More About Jane 'Jennie' Duke and Pleasant Blackwell Downing:
Marriage: 1835, Ms.18
Children of Jane 'Jennie' Duke and Pleasant Blackwell Downing are:
- +James Henry Downing, b. 23 Dec 1836, Itawamba Co., MS18, d. 27 Dec 1903, buried in Plesant Grove cem .nearCumby, Hopkins co.Tx.18.
- Rachel A. Downing, b. 1840, MS, d. date unknown.
- +Mary Jane Downing, b. 31 Dec 1844, Ms. or Ala18, d. 30 Dec 1915, Itawamba co. Ms. buried in Keys cemetery18.
- John D. J. Downing, b. 184618, d. date unknown.
- Pleasant N. Downing, b. 184818, d. date unknown.
- Louisa A. Downing, b. 185218, d. date unknown.
- +Jefferson Davis Downing, b. 11 Aug 1854, Itawamba Co., MS18, d. 23 Nov 1937, Stone Wall, Pontotoc Co., Ok.18.
- +Sina Ellinda Downing, b. 17 Nov 1859, Ms.18, d. 1950, Booneville, Ms.18.
- Lafayette Downing, b. 186618, d. date unknown.