My Fast Family:Information about William Williss
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
William Williss (b. December 20, 1771, d. 1846)William Williss (son of Thomas Williss and Sinai (Lena) Ricktts)3 was born December 20, 1771 in Maryland3, and died 18463.He married Henrietta Chance.
Notes for William Williss:
In 1788, he acquired "Partnership" for 1,000 pounds of English money, which
bound Elizabeth Love to him for marriage, after which the land would go to
their heirs--... [from Bill Hunt in "The Historical Genealogy of William
MARRIAGE: First Mountain Meeting (Caroline County, MD)
"1792 - 9 mo. 20 day. Friends appointed to attend the marriage of William
Williss and Henrietta Chance report it was accomplished orderly. The bond was
signed by: James Bartlett, Arron Chance, Rich Chance, Tilghman Chance, Joshua
Chilcutt, Rhoda Chilcutt, Solomon Kenton, Ann Willis, Mary Willis, James
Wilson, Solomon Wilson, William Wilson, Milby Willis, Sinai Wilis, Jessee
Willis, Daniel Bartlett.
!Following notes from WILLISS REUNION Aunt Leila's notes (W1) Around 1800 he
settled near South Solon a few miles from South Charleston and ten miles
southeast of Springfield Clark County, Ohio
Was a Quaker preacher of the Friends Church
He started what was known as a tavern and ran it for years It was a principle
stopping place between Columbus and Cincinnati Men such as Thomas Corwin and
Henry Clay stayed there on their way to Washington
!"The Historical Genealogy of WILLIAM WILLISS" by Bill Hunt Pg 1 "..It is said
that their first home was in Fredericksburg, Maryland. The exact location is
unknown, but when George Washington left his home is Maryland, he went across
the Potomac to Westmorland County, Virginia, taking his "favorite route"
through Fredricksburg. Then, on Oct. 15, 1805, the Northwest Fork Monthly
Meeting of Caroline County granted a certificate of removal to Miami, Ohio,
Monthly Meeting for William and Henrietta [and family].
It is possible that they went to Ohio by way of Malboro County. It is
known that a colony of Friends, mostly Nicholites, had come into that region;
and, it is also known that Amelia, "Milley", Williss, William's sister, was a
member of Piney Grove Monthly Meeting, in that county, and married William
Beauchamp, the son of William Beauchamp, a charter member of the meeting house.
However, following the American Revolution, these settlers sold their lands
and left in large numbers for the Northwest Territories--Ohio and Indiana.
(The reason for this migration is due to the Slavery issue: an institution
which the Nicholites had disavowed in 1768 as religiously wrong and a source
of moral corruption; moreover, they felt that slavery had become a permanent
feature of the South.)
William received two land grants in the Cincinnati area on Dec 5, 1806 and
Feb 23, 1809. He and his family first lived near Leesburg in Highland County
Ohio, where he was an overseer of the Fairfield Monthly Meeting. On Mar. 26,
1814, the family was granted a certificate of transfer to Ceasar's Creek
Monthly Meeting in Clinton County, six miles East of Waynesville.
It was about this time, 1814, that the Willis Tavern was built. It was a
one-story, rough log building consisting of three rooms which fronted on the
south side of the Xenia to Columbus road about two miles west of South
Charleston. This being the main road from Cincinnati to Columbus, the tavern
was well-known and a favorite stopping place for the distinguished men of the
times. Between 1830 and 1840, while Tom Corwin was a Congressman and traveled
to Washington on horseback, he made the Willis Tavern a regular stopping place.
He was sometimes accompanied by Henry Clay of Kentucky and old timers of
Clark County often recalled that the high times had at the "Old Willis
Tavern": by these two gentlemen, often tried the patience of the quiet host.
The structure sat in a forest of large trees with no undergrowth and on
ground firmly sodded with tree roots. Behind the tavern was a maple swamp
through which, at a later date, a corduroy road of poles and logs ran for a
hundred yards or so. One feature engraved the tavern on the memory of all
those who visited it. This was a room in which federal prisoners on their way
to the penitentiary at Columbus were kept. Built like a jail-- with barred
windows and bolted doors--the prisoners were kept in place by chains looped
though iron rings imbedded in the floor.
On Sept 22, 1821, William became a charter member of the Green Plain Montly
Meeting in Clark County, when it was set off from Ceasar's Creek. It is said
that he often preached there, but his devoutness was tested during the
Hicksite heresy which split the Society of Friends in the years 1827 to 1829.
On May 2, 1827, he was disowned by the membership for his Hicksite leanings.
He appealed to the Quarterly Meeting, Aug. 1, for his right of membership and
was reinstated Dec 5th. Fourteen months later (Feb 4, 1829), he was
permanently disowned for disunity.
After his daughter Eliza was married, he sold the tavern and his farm lands
to her and he and Henrietta, with the younger members of the family, moved to
the neighborhood of North Manchester, Indiana. There, he and Henney lived out
the rest of their lives and are buried somewhere in the vicinity of the town.
The exact dates of their deaths are not known."
!From the Chance Book by Hilda Snowberger Chance (1974) copied for me by Mrs.
D. Walter Meyers 107 North West Street Milford, Indiana 46542 "William Willis,
a Quaker preacher, Married Henrietta Chance, started a tavern between Columbus
and Cincinnati. He later sold the tavern and farm to youngest daughter, Eliza
Webster. After his sons, Elijah and John and dau Eliza were married, he and
the rest of the family moved to North Mancherster, Indiana." The book
contains a list of their descendants.
!Married Northwest Fork Meeting House, Caroline Co, MD (Nicholite) Quaker -
thought to be from Quaker Genealogy (1946) by Hinshaw
!Helen Carter notes gives birth dates for all of Thomas and Sanai children
and conflicts with previous information. Note former birth date is recorded
in baptism field.
!Date of death to be after 1846 "contributed largest sum ($40) to building
Zion Lutheran Church (1846)."
!When the quakers made a separation in 1824-1828, due to the preaching and
teachings of Elisa Hicks, more than half of the middle west colonies followed
him and they were called Hicksits Quakers. The William Williss, who was a
Quaker preacher, followed him, and after the split he preached in a little
brick church. (now standing, 1933) It is called the "Green Plain Quaker
meeting house." and it is near South Charleston, Ohio. [taken from pg 4 Leila
!Listed in Ancestral File # AFN:92W9-GV - submitted by Reva E. Bain, 935 E.
3000 N #51, Layton, Utah 84040 [Thomas Willis & Lena plus Tilgham Chance and
Nancy] and their families.
!BIOGRAPHY: see Pg 274 History of Wabash County
"During the years of 1837 and 1838, immigration [to Chester Township]
progressed rapidly, and many new families joined the settlement. Among this
number were William Willis, Asa Beauchamp, [William is Asa's uncle], William
Thorn and Mahlon Frame, all of whom settled in North Manchester, and wer
associated with the early mercantile interests of the town.
!GRAVESITE: See Pg 275 History of Wabash County - Chester Township
"Early Events - The first death - "1833..The second death in the township
occurred in 1839, the victim being a child of Jacob Simonton and wife. The
little one was buried on the farm of its grandfather, John Simonton, who
donated to the township the portion of his farm thus consecrated, and it has
ever since been used for a public cemetery. Several years elapsed before
another member of the community was called away by death. It was a fact very
much to the advantage of the pioneers that the country was quite healthy,
there being but little sickness."
See Pg 280 "..This demonination [The Christian Church] has two
other houses of worship in the township; the first, known as Pleasant Grove
Church, is situated about three miles east of North Manchester, and the
second, known as Antioch Church, is about three and one-half miles southeast.
The Pleasant Grove congregation was organized in 1844, under Elder Joseph
Roberds, at the home of Isaac Robbins, whose house continued to the the
meeting place for a few years. Finally the members of the church united with
the citizens in erecting a house which was used for a log schoolhouse during
the week, and a church on Sunday. A tract of land was donated by John
Simonton and Joshua Simpson for a cemetery, with the privilege of building a
church upon this tract, extended to any demonination who would permit services.
The conditions were accepted by the Pleasant Grove congregation, who in 1858
erected their present house of worship. The church is a substantial frame
building, plain and unpretentious. It has maintained a strong organization,
and now ranks among the foremost churches of the township. Elder William
McClurg is the present pastor.
SOURCES: "The History of Clark County, Ohio," by Alden P. Steele. Chicago,
1881 "Sketches of South Charleston, Ohio -- reminiscences of Early Scenes,
Anecdotes and Facts About Early Residents." by Alfred Reeder. (Pamphlet)
"Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy Volumes I (North Carolina) and V.
(Ohio) by William Wade Hinshaw. Baltimore. 1969 and 1973.
"Chance Family. England to America: 1558-1965 by Hilda Chance. [copy in
Richard Douglass library]
"History fo Caroline County, Maryland" (re-print) Genealogical Publishing Co.
"Quakerism on the Eastern Shore." by Kenneth Carroll. Maryland Historical
Society. Balitmore. 1970.
Father: Thomas WILLISSb: 1751 in Poss Preston, Maryland
Mother: Sinai (Lena) RICKETTSb: ABT. 1748 in
Marriage 1 Henrietta CHANCEb: 27 Oct 1774 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Married: 20 Aug 1792 in NORTHWEST FORK,NEAR PRESTON,CAROLINE CO,MARYLAND 3
Arcada WILLISSb: 5 Jan 1794 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Nancy WILLISSb: 17 Oct 1795 in Fredicksburg, MD
Andrew R. WILLISSb: 17 Feb 1798 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Elijah Chance WILLISSb: 16 Nov 1800 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Anna WILLISSb: 27 Feb 1803 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
William WILLISSb: 29 Nov 1805 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Wesley WILLISSb: 9 May 1808 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Levi WILLISSb: 22 Jun 1810 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Mildred WILLISSb: 12 May 1813 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Eliza WILLISSb: 18 Aug 1817 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Amasa WILLISSb: 17 Jul 1818 in Poss Caroline Co. Maryland
Title: Ancestral File (R)
Author: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Publication: Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998
NAME Family History Library
ADDR 35 N West Temple Street
CONT Salt Lake City, UT 84150 USA
Title: cDROM 15
Note: Family Search.AFN-92W9-GV
Title: cDROM 15
Note: Family Search. AFN 92W9-H2
Children of William Williss and Henrietta Chance are:
- +Elijah Chance Williss, b. November 16, 1800, Ohio3, d. January 17, 1851, Ohio3.