My Genealogy Home Page:Information about William J.Mitchell, Sr.
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
William J.Mitchell, Sr. (b. March 03, 1744/45, d. May 1822)William J.Mitchell, Sr. (son of Walter Mitchell and Rachel Appling)1514 was born March 03, 1744/45 in Goochland Co, Virginia1515, and died May 1822 in Clarke Co, Georgia1515.He married Sarah Hannah Letcher on December 19, 1769 in St James Northam, Goochland Co, Virginia1515.
Notes for William J.Mitchell, Sr.:
William Mitchell, Sr., lived on his plantation on Smith River in Henry Co, VA.
All his children were born there.His eldest son, Thomas, was the cause of his
losing his home.The young man was elected Tax Collector for Patrick Henry,
(now 2 counties), and in many instances had to go from house to house, in
sparsely inhabited settlements to collect the taxes.Money was very scarce and
the people told him pitiful tales of their poverty, and induced him to
take produce instead of money for their taxes.Later when he sold the
produce, he did not get the price at which he had valued it.He was
hopelessly in debt to the county.Honor was dearer to William Mitchell,
Sr., than house or lands, so he sold his possessions, paid his son's
debts and moved to Georgia in 1803/1804.The Rev War had left many Virginians
nearly penniless and the State of Georgia held out most seductive offers of
land, which could be obtained with very little expense.Many of them settled
in and around Athens, Georgia.Most of them were poor but of good lineage;
where indigence was so general, poverty brought no sense of shame. Intellect,
energy and noble virtues alone placed a man above his fellows.
William and his wife, along with the family, migrated to Athens, Clarke Co.,
Georgia, because, as he said, the State College was there, and his posterity
could received a liberal education without leaving home.
This was the approx. same time as the migration of his brother, Richard
Mitchell and family with wife, Elizabeth Morgan.
Copy of will in file.Filed in Jasper Co., GA.
More About William J.Mitchell, Sr.:
Fact 2: Clarke Co, Georgia.1515
More About William J.Mitchell, Sr. and Sarah Hannah Letcher:
Marriage: December 19, 1769, St James Northam, Goochland Co, Virginia.1515
Children of William J.Mitchell, Sr. and Sarah Hannah Letcher are:
- +Thomas Mitchell, b. May 14, 1771, Goochland Co, Virginia1515, d. June 06, 1852, Athens, Clarke Co, Georgia1515.
- Elizabeth Mitchell, b. November 18, 1773, Patrick Henry Co, Virginia1515, d. April 11, 1816, Jackson Co, Georgia1515.
- Nancy Mitchell, b. February 07, 1776, Patrick Henry Co, Virginia1515, d. Aft. 1840, Macon Co, Georgia1515.
- Appling Mitchell, b. September 02, 1778, Goochland Co, Virginia1515, d. May 1788, Patrick Henry Co, Virginia1515.
- +Sarah Mitchell, b. March 29, 1781, Patrick Henry Co, Virginia1515, d. Aft. 1860, Georgia1515.
- +Rachel Mitchell, b. June 05, 1786, Patrick Parish, Patrick Henry Co, Virginia1515, d. December 1881, Taylor Co, Georgia1515.