My Genealogy Home Page:Information about James Pitts
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
James Pitts (b. Abt. 1710, d. January 25, 1776)James Pitts1715 was born Abt. 1710 in Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, and died January 25, 1776 in Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716.He married Elizabeth Bowdoin on October 26, 1732 in Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, daughter of Jacques/James Bauduoin/bowdoin and Hannah Portage.
Notes for James Pitts:
[Copy of Bailey.ftw]
James Pitts graduated from Harvard in the class of 1731.As chief heir to the
estates of both his father and his maternal grandmother, Susanna Lindall
Jacobs, James early became wealthy in his own right and in 1747 became one of
the three executors of the estate of his father-in-law, James Bowdoin, son of
Pierre Bauduoin/Bowdoin of France.
James and Elizabeth's home was a center of civic and patriotic activities.
He was a member of the King's Council from 1766 until his death in 1776. James
Pitts proved himself a master statemans.Standing firmly on the side of the
people, he had to exercise great tact and diplomacy, or his services could have
been terminated by the governor's veto at the next election.
Mr. Pitts continued to work as councillor for the cause of freedcom through the
troubled years which culminated in the Revolution.It was ironic that after
all his patriotic labors in defending the rights of his country, James Pitts
died on January 25, 1776, less than two months before the evacuation of Boston
by the British.
LETTER IN THE COLLECTION OF THE MASSACHUSETTS HISTORICAL SOCIETY
from whom the photograph was obtained.
Whereas it is reported that the East India Company in London are about
shipping a Quantity of Tea to this & otherColonies, which it is apprehended
may be prejudicial to the Trade, and attended with other Consequences that may
distrub the Peace and good Order of the Town.
And whereas it is the Opinion of many respectable Persons in the Town,
that a Meeting of the principal Merchants may have a Tendency to quiet the
Minds of the Inbabitants, & promote Peace and good Order.
We whose Names are hereunto subscribed consent to have a Meeting called,
to consider & determine what Part it may be proper for the Trade to take in
this Matter, and hereby engage to give our Attendance at said Meeting, provided
the Merchants in general agree to the same.
Boston, Nov. 8th, 1773James Pitts
Picture is available from the booklet:
"Eight Generations of the Pitts Family"
The Detroit Institute of Arts
More About James Pitts:
Fact 2: Kings Chapel, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts.1716
More About James Pitts and Elizabeth Bowdoin:
Marriage: October 26, 1732, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts.1716
Children of James Pitts and Elizabeth Bowdoin are:
- Elizabeth Pitts, b. Abt. 1734, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, d. October 20, 1810, Portsmouth, New Hampshire1716.
- John Pitts, b. Abt. 1737, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, d. Abt. 1815, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716.
- James Pitts, b. Abt. 1741, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, d. Abt. 17721716.
- Thomas Pitts, b. Abt. 1743, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, d. Abt. 17691716.
- William Pitts, b. Abt. 1744, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, d. Abt. 17801716.
- +Samuel Pitts, b. Abt. 1745, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, d. Abt. 1805, Chelmsford, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716.
- Lendall Pitts, b. Abt. 1747, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716, d. Abt. 1784, Boston, Suffolk Co, Massachusetts1716.